Kizashi Paint Chip Problem !!!!

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
bobbyt

I discovered the 2011 Kizashis recently while researching an alternative to my desire to buy a guzzling premium fueled AWD car. After doing my research and discovering the magnitude of this paint issue, not just on this site but other sources including Suzuki's own facebook page, I'm sad to say I'm officially deterred from these 2010/2011 Kizashis. As a hobby detailer I take pride in the condition of my car and living in Canada in a land of harsh winter sand/salt and rust I don't think this is my ideal car. That's a shame given the great mechanics and body styling of this car. I was very excited when I found it.

Suzuki, You had better acknowledge this problem or give some confirmation what steps have been taken to solve it in future models. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if the 2012s will suffer the same issue but one way or another I will be buying a car within the next 7-8mo. I just don't think it will be a Suzuki anymore. I hope the rest of you find a solution to this frustrating issue.
~tc~

I don't think this should dissuade you if you are otherwise happy with the ride, handling, AWD option, warranty, value, etc.

Just add in the cost of a clear bra to your purchase price.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
newworld2004

I have 2010 SLS , with No paint issue, I am not sure this is really an Issue with kizashi alone, today while I was driving to work , saw Altima with paint chip all over, and anothe rone Mazda 6.
2010 Dark Blue SLS FWD CVT
1998 Mitsubishi Montero Winter Package
1994 Soft-Top Samurai Sold
1993 Isuzu Trooper 2DR Sold
MadBlack

Gotta love the internet - you'll hear a lot about problems but never hear about the hundreds that have no issues.
But, I don't blame you for being nervous - I was the same when I bought mine last month. I brought the paint issue up with the dealership and they offered to cover any issues if that might develop (although they stated they experienced no problems) - and they put it in writing.
It's unfortunate that you would exclude this car from your search when it is the best AWD value out there. Keep in mind, you are hearing about the issues only, most are happy with the paint. Why not discuss your concerns with a dealership and see what comes of it.
mphilleo

Kind of a strange first post, I'm sure, but I've been lurking for a while, so I feel entitled to do so.

I've got about 3,600 miles on my 2010 SE AWD with Platinum Silver Metallic paint. No real problems with it. Here's the kicker though. I consider myself automotive-saavy, so I don't fall for the "Scotch Gard" extras dealers tack on. However, at the lot I visited for my sale, they showed me the 3M protection package on a 10 year old Toyota Avalon and I was amazed how pristine it kept the paint in high contact areas.

It's really not that noticeable and has done a great job so far, so I don't feel too stupid for dropping $350 for it. Sure, Suzuki should address paint problems, but I'd rather drop a few hundred bucks than waste my time with corporate-dealer mediation. I guess what I'm saying is that the 3M protection is worth it...FWIW, most car manufacturers these days use what could be laughably considered water soluble paint due to EPA regulations.
leeza2

mphilleo wrote:Kind of a strange first post, I'm sure, but I've been lurking for a while, so I feel entitled to do so.

I've got about 3,600 miles on my 2010 SE AWD with Platinum Silver Metallic paint. No real problems with it. Here's the kicker though. I consider myself automotive-saavy, so I don't fall for the "Scotch Gard" extras dealers tack on. However, at the lot I visited for my sale, they showed me the 3M protection package on a 10 year old Toyota Avalon and I was amazed how pristine it kept the paint in high contact areas.

It's really not that noticeable and has done a great job so far, so I don't feel too stupid for dropping $350 for it. Sure, Suzuki should address paint problems, but I'd rather drop a few hundred bucks than waste my time with corporate-dealer mediation. I guess what I'm saying is that the 3M protection is worth it...FWIW, most car manufacturers these days use what could be laughably considered water soluble paint due to EPA regulations.

Just wrote in with a complaint about the paint chipping on my 2011 Kizashi, which started as soon as I brought the car home. It now has 6-7k miles and already is looking bad with all the chips. Just went on the 3M website and there are no installers in the Albany, NY area. I will call 3M for some advise, but this may be a problem for others too. I certainly do not want to deal with the company run around either.
mphilleo

Your Suzuki dealer should be able to install the 3M protection for you. At least, that's what I signed on for when I bought my Kizashi and they did it for me at the point of sale. I don't see why they couldn't do it for you after the fact.
northcountry

We're still in a battle with Suzuki. We have returned the vehicle to the dealership for inspection of the paint issues. They informed us that the manufacturer is repainting vehiles with paint problems. We were sent to a larger dealership that is in charge of this issue. They photographed the entire car and paint issue areas (HOOD, fenders, doors and even the roof). They forwarded everything to Suzuki.
Four weeks later we were contacted and informed that the vehicle will not be repainted due to it having over 36,000 miles. So if your vehicle has this issue I would suggest you get it to the dealer and document it before you get to 36,000 miles.
We're out looking for a new vehicle now but with the major paint issues the trade-in value is being reduced by $2,500.
We are continuing to send requests Suzuki to fix it.
kskizashi

Got my Kizashi back from the repint and for now I've decided to leave it "naked".
Attachments
Got my Kizashi back from the repaint and decided to leave it "naked".
Got my Kizashi back from the repaint and decided to leave it "naked".
dcdaec38b3a1__1321217988000.jpg (41.41 KiB) Viewed 7232 times
2010 Kizashi GTS AWD Vivid Red
kskizashi

I called my paint issues in with only 4,500 miles on my car so sounds like they're splitting hairs and looking for an out and unfortunately 36,000 miles is that not so magic number for you. They know there's a paint issue so mileage shouldn't be a factor when it comes to fixing a factory defect.
2010 Kizashi GTS AWD Vivid Red