Color, transmission, and drivetrain combinations?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Zen RN

Hi Gang,

I'm looking to buy a Kizashi within a month, and although the Suzuki.com "Build and Price" feature allows me to build an SLS in Deep Sea Blue, with front wheel drive and a 6-speed manual, my local dealer says the SLS in blue only comes with the CVT/FWD (with AWD optional). I also asked about an SLS in Vivid red with FWD and 6-speed, and he said the red is not availalbe in either SLS configuration.

Now, is this guy just trying to sell me what he has on his lot, or does he know something that the corporate website doesn't? I've been communicating with him via email and he said he talked to his Rep and confirmed what he told me. I ask because they're running a nice sale right now - "You Pay What We Pay" - and while I would like to get the SLS at the dealer's price, I really don't want a CVT (nothing against it, I just LOVE driving a stick), and I really DO want an SLS, so.....

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Senegal

there are restrictions in terms of color and trim level, look at brochure

http://kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=74
Zen RN

The link didn't work for me, but I have a hard copy of the brochure from a local dealer, which doesn't show what colors are available on each model. I was relying on Suzuki's website to show me what the color choices were, but for some reason the salesman says I can't get the combo I want.

I don't want to buy a different color, then find out that I could have gotten the blue, ya know? But this guy gave me a price of 23,780 for an SLS, so I'm thinking maybe I can live with the charcoal gray. =D
Senegal

that's a very impressive price for a CVT SLS, does it include suzuki's destination charge too?

on Cars.com, here's their inventory of SLS in deep blue, it seems like most are listed as auto tranny

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresu ... ep&kwm=ANY
Zen RN

Thanks, Senegal.

I am going for my first test drive tonight, and I'll see how I feel about the CVT. I just think I'm going to miss it. I always say that driving an automatic is really just steering, but driving a stick is REALLY driving the car, so it's hard to give up. I'll give the CVT a try, though, because I really love everything else about the car, and I don't want to give up the SLS features.... I'll let ya's know my thoughts.

Thanks again,
Diana
Moto
Site Admin

I test drove one with AWD & CVT a few weeks ago. I was pretty surprised at how much I liked it. I never really pushed the car, and I basically drove like I do on a day to day basis. In manual shift mode I found the CVT was much more responsive and quick than I expected. (Obviously I've read too many bad reviews) I was able to downshift coming into lights without lag, and I was never able to force the car to up-shift due to high RPM, but I assume it would if you push the car too far. For normal driving I think the CVT is probably the way to go.

All and all I think I might go for the AWD CVT. I still going to hold off a few months, and see how the new job is working out. I would hate to buy something, and have no source of income.
Zen RN

Well, I'm going with the 6-speed in Platinum. I just am not a fan of the CVT. Maybe if the sales guy had explained the shifting better (I told him I was totally unfamiliar with it), but truthfully he didn't describe how to work the paddle shift controls, only the floor controls, which.....well, whatever - the guy needs to work on his product knowledge, but I don't think he was the reason I decided against the CVT.

I guess that the color just wasn't the "make or break" factor I was making it out to be. I really enjoy driving a stick shift, and I like the feel of the clutch in the Kizashi.

They actually allowed me to take the car for the night (I live almost 1.5 hours from the dealership) to make up my mind.

I did have one small problem...how the hell do I get it in Reverse?? I tried pushing down on the shifter, but kept ending up in 6th! But boy am I glad I didn't pull into my driveway!!! :lol:

So, getting the SLS for under 24....yeah, I feel good!!
vwoom

Zen RN wrote: I did have one small problem...how the hell do I get it in Reverse?? I tried pushing down on the shifter, but kept ending up in 6th! But boy am I glad I didn't pull into my driveway!!! :lol:
Zen, I believe you need to grab the sliding lever lock "thingy" (right below the shift knob) up first, then shift to engage Reverse...

Btw, the Platinum 6-Sp SLS would be a great combo...

Good to hear a fellow nurse (am LPN, studying for my RN) here is into a Kizashi...you're absolutely right, driving a manual/stick shift is the REAL way to drive a car (I first learned how to drive using a manual..).

Good Luck on your purchase! :D

James
Zen RN

Yeah, I was thinking about it after I posted this last night. I was trying to think through all the cars I've had and how to get into reverse in each of those, and I eventually remembered a car I had where you had to lift up on a little collar just below the shift knob.

I felt like such a dummy once I realized. But you know, you just get so used to doing it one way, that it becomes "automatic" - sorry, I'm a sucker for puns!

Looks like I'll be taking delivery by Monday. So excited!! I'll post pictures once she's mine.
Moto
Site Admin

I had the same problem one day when I was driving a new forte. Think it was the first time I had ever driven a 6 speed sedan. Every other 6 speed I had been in the R was over and up without anything other than grinding to keep you out of reverse.