Cracked windshield

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
aremmes

Not too long ago someone posted here with what was potentially the first wreck in a Kizashi. I have not read anything about cracked windshields, so I wonder if I'm the first one with a Kizashi needing a new windshield without having been in an accident.

Yesterday as I was driving home from work "something" hit my windshield (I didn't see it). It hit the passenger-side edge of the windshield, at about the same level as the rear view mirror. Immediately, the windshield developed a six-inch crack. That crack is now about 15 inches long, and seems to continue creeping towards the middle bottom of the windshield. It's quite annoying, as it sits right along my right eye's peripheral view.

I tried to check with a local auto glass shop, but they indicated that it's a dealer-only item. A quick search on Safelite's website doesn't list it. Through the dealer, it's $542 for the windshield, plus $200 for labor. My insurance won't cover it, since it's under the $1,000 deductible I have for comprehensive coverage. :cry:

Has anyone else had to repair or replace the windshield yet? If replaced, where/how was it replaced? Right now, I don't feel like paying the dealer to replace the windshield only for it to appear on Safelite's database for under $300 shortly afterwards. For reference, a windshield for an SX4 goes for $285 including labor.
Last edited by aremmes on Tue May 04, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NJKizashi

I would wait till safelite gets the window in its database..if it's safe to drive just leave it...it's a new car so you're not going to inspection anytime soon ??

most if not all parts for the Kizashi is "Dealer Only" since the car is so new.
aremmes

Yeah, I figured I'd hold on to it 'til next inspection. Hopefully Safelite will have it before March 2011 when my inspection is due (darn PennDOT and its annual inspections).
NJKizashi

NJ it's every 4 yrs :)
Moto
Site Admin

There are no inspection dates in ND... :P I didn't see any contact information on their site, but it might be worth giving them a call to try to get the car on their radar.