Clear Bra and Suzuki Vinyl

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
mepilot322

Has anybody installed the 3M or Scotch 8mil clear bra's? Looking for prices and "fit and finish reports". Has anybody tried the Suzuki Vinyl bra? I worry about the long term effect on the finish due to rub(even though its fleece lined)

Thanx Gang

Black SLS May 12 2010 purchase
sloopercat

I looked at the bra too, I have had bad experiences long term with those things. They are high maintenance, but I like the look, esp with red. They seem to last about two years before they get ragged and it looks like a lot of fasteners. Where it crosses the fenders look like a flap in the wind area, as this is just held on by tension across that edge. I may have my car wrap guy do a faux bra in black on the front of the car. Less harm to the paint and it is removable too. I still think you may get color shift with the clear, but I guess you just leave it on.
gaww

I stopped using bras years ago, since if you live in a winter driving area (where you need something the most), dirt and grit get under it and you have to continually remove and clean it.

After reading early posts on the paint chip problem, I got mine done with 3M film by a dealer that had the cutting machine on site. I found that prices I was quoted from these installers were not much more than the prices quoted for the kits you install yourself. The installers with the in-house equipment also have a much higher volume and level of experience.

For two packages (hood and bumper - fenders and side mirrors), total cost including tax was $590. The first package is the most important and you might be able to get by with it unless you drive on the roads that NJkizashi drives on. An installer closer to me, who had to order the cut film himself, quoted $470 for just one package.

You rarely notice the film, and then only the margins. Otherwise, it is invisible.
mepilot322

Gaww- Thanks for the info, yeah i have a buddy with the 3M on a white BMW, barely noticeable...I cant stand the thought of my shiny black paint having chips in it...now i just have to find a good installer...

are you satisfied with all the cuts and the way it forms up???
mepilot322

sloopercat- thanks for the info, yeah the bras on the zuki site show a couple of ripples indicating a less than snug fit...so i'm prolly gonna shy away from the vinyl type bra, unless i hear a good testimony
gaww

mepilot322 wrote:Gaww- Thanks for the info, yeah i have a buddy with the 3M on a white BMW, barely noticeable...I cant stand the thought of my shiny black paint having chips in it...now i just have to find a good installer...

are you satisfied with all the cuts and the way it forms up???
Yes I am - excellent fitment.

I had done a kit on my Morano, and getting the wide bumper piece on in all the right spots (like the fog lamp tunnels, etc.) was quite an experience. Since they quoted no more for the total installation than the kits on the internet, I was happy to let them do it.
lookin

while i havent experience any paint chipping i check like everyday i guess im lucky but somebody bounced my bumper while parking i guess ahh new york city streets tight parking.would 3m work good on my bumper to stop those scratches i hate that rubber piece hanging off any ideas
Hawkzilla

I heard about the paint chipping issues, so I purchased the hood-only bra through Suzuki. If you follow the instructions and install only when the area is dry, then take it off after it has been wet or before you wash your car, you will not have to worry about it hurting your finish.

The thing is you can't be lazy and just leave it on all the time or you will risk ruining your finish. Personally, I love mine and think it makes the Zashi look even sportier (I will try to post a picture this week) while protecting that face of the hood that seems to be the main problem for the paint chipping.

It's a must-have for road trips, that's for sure!

Also, I waxed my car thoroughly when I got it and plan on doing it every couple of months. I'm not sure if that has helped, but I have a Azure Gray Kizashi with 1,600 miles and not a single paint chip as of yet (knock on wood). My theory is the polish takes away a lot of the surface friction so it should help when road debris makes contact.
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic
KCKizashi

I'm getting the clear film bra installed later this month prior to a road trip. Reading the posts here and on other sites about rock chipping almost kept from buying my Kizzy, but I decided on the clear bra. I first checked into the pre-cut kits and they were expensive (around $750) for the bumper, hood and mirrors. The biggest concern is everyone I spoke to said the 3M film "yellows" over time and edges tend to lift. I found a guy in Kansas that does the custom fit where they stretch the film across the front in one sheet then cut it to each opening, grill, etc. They also wrap the edges under so there's no visible edge all the way around like the pre-cut kits. He quoted me around $500 for the entire front end, half way up the hood and the mirrors.
After it gets done I'll post pics and my thoughts with it.
UPDATE: Here's a URL showing pictures the guy took while he installed the clear bra. http://www.clearbraphotos.com/Cars/Suzu ... 6496_vHt3t
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
KCKizashi

I noticed after updating my previous post with the link, it didn't appear at the top of the list based on activity date - so, here's a new post with a URL to pictures of the Clear Bra I had installed a few weeks ago.
http://www.clearbraphotos.com/Cars/Suzu ... 6496_vHt3t
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD