Now that you've had it a while...

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Hawkzilla

I've put it in manual mode many times and it was the same acceleration. In fact, some on here have done the 0-60mph manual mode vs auto and it was no different. I believe you that Suzuki has done this intentionally (kind of what I figured), but I don't get the feeling that manual mode bypasses it. I'll try again over lunch, maybe I'm wrong.

I will say this, if it wasn't for the slow start I think the Kizashi could actually achieve a 7.5 sec 0-60mph time. Once it hots 15mph it flys!
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic
volunteer

gaww wrote:
volunteer wrote:
Hawkzilla wrote:It's only the 0-15mph that bothers me, after that I am very happy with the acceleration. 8-)
I've noticed the 0-15 lag seems to be disappearing as the miles accumulate. I went over 3,000 yesterday and it isn't nearly as bad as when it was new. It's possible it's my imagination or I've gotten used to it, but I also can't help but wonder if the computer running the transmission learns your driving style. I know Audi's used that logic. If you drove in stop and go traffic all the time, the throttle response would get less sensitive. There was a way to reset the logic though which brought the performance back.
I have close to 7000 - and just ran the tests I mentioned earlier. I am betting it is your imagination, as if such a control system was there - Suzuki would have touted it and media testers would have mentioned it.

I really think it is the effective mechanical gear ratio that is equivalent to 2nd gear in a manual trans. If it IS computer controlled, than there would be hope it could be modified - but I doubt it

Again - I mostly miss it when I want to jack rabbit from a stoplight to make enough room to safely change lanes - can't do that anymore. My previous car had the larger JATCO CVT with AWD - and it would take off OK. really strange they way this one is set up.
Very likely it is just that I'm used to it and just push the pedal harder through that sluggish area, but "adaptive learning" isn't something that Audi advertised. The techs learned that if you reset it, it seemed to improve performance. They could do it with the VAG diagnostic tool, but there was also a combination of things you could do in the car to reset it. Can't remember the details, but it was a certain sequence of key on, pedal to the floor for "x" seconds, etc..

Most transmissions today are coded electronically for different markets. Euro units are coded for different throttle response, gear change points, fuel economy, etc. compared to U.S. spec models. The Audi folks figured a lot of these things out by getting a Bentley repair manual and a Volkswagen Auto Group (VAG) diagnostic tool. It allows you (if you have the guts to potentially void your U.S. warranty) to change redline, shift points, throttle response, what the buttons on the remote control do (open/close windows & sunroof remotely). It may be that the slow start was what they needed to get the car to meet a certain MPG target for the new CAFE regs.
gaww

Zeid wrote:I think everyone is forgetting that the only reason why transmissions are controlled the way they are today (via the ECU) is for FUEL ECONOMY. Just about all new cars, even a brand new 2010 Audi A4 I drov e for a few days have this lag. It's a mix of the electronic throttle control system and the programming logic for the transmission.

People burn the most fuel when moving from a stop, so Suzuki, like other automakers, tuned the transmission to be at a higher ratio from the get-go.

Like I said, you can by-pass much of this by putting the car in MANUAL mode and shifting. Come back and let me know if that doesn't solve your problem :)
I don't think it is fuel economy. JATCO touts better acceleration and fuel economy with their new auxiliary gearbox CVTs. Wish we had these, but they do not have one yet for medium sized cars (2.5 liters). JATCO had a lot of trouble with the transmission put in the Kizashi in Nissans and some others - hoping they worked out the bugs.

However, this is probably why they she set it up this way , to minimize stress at start-up. Funny though, i drove a CVT Nissan Sentra which has the same class of JATCO CVT - and it did not bog down at start-up - BUT - it was only their stock 140 HP version, so a lot less stress. Makes me wonder how they set up their 200 HP version.
Qwackers

From a female perspective....

I took a lot of time in researching the various options before purchasing my Kizashi (AWD Platinum Silver SLS, or rather Canada's equivalent to the SLS).

What I had been driving was a 2007 Chrysler Sebring touring model which I had on a four year lease. That car was a very poor fit for me and I had been thinking for some time that I really wanted a change. My wish list was for something much sportier, with decent trunk space and with the possibility of carrying two large adults in the back seat on that rare occasion that it was needed. But really this was to be MY car and it had to give me the "feel" I wanted.

After testing the Fusion (too sedate and uncomfortable seats), the Mitsubishi Eclipse (fabulous ride but completely impractical 2Dr with zero back seat room), the Mazda 6 ( the closest I came to what I wanted before Kizzy), the Hyundai Sonata (felt like a slightly smaller version of my Sebring) I came across the Kizashi completely by accident having never heard of it before. I was taking a test drive on a used Eclispe at a Suzuki dealership (to see how they held up after a couple of years) and after the drive I asked the salesperson if he had anything that would match my wish list above. His eyes lit up and he marched me into their showroom and introduced me to the Kizashi. Wow. He wasn't able to allow me to test drive it as it was their only one and it already had a lot of test drive miles on it and his manager wouldn't allow any more. I could hardly sleep that night thinking about that car and so called around and found a dealer a little out of town that actually had 4 Kizashi's in stock!! Apparantly there are only 8 new ones available in BC so to find 4 in one dealership (each of the four colours available in Canada) was astounding. My husband, friend and I scooted out there after work for a test drive.

The dealer basically just tossed me the keys to his demo with a smile and said go and have some fun, just have it back before we close tonight. And that's exactly what we did!!

We took it up mountains, on fast straightaways, did donuts in parking lots, on gravel roads, parking in tight spaces. We tested every button's function and tried every setting (CVT on/off, 2WD/4WD). We switched off drivers so that everyone would get a chance for front or back seat driving;-) In short we gave it the works.

And it held up.

In particular what I got from that test was that this car made me feel special while driving it. Not special in the "hey look I've got a Beemer and you don't" kind of way but special in, this vehicle really makes me want to drive more. Needless to say, we bought the car. That was one glorious week ago! I've already put on 600 kms just in fun "going for a drive" driving. I've washed it once and vacuumed it twice. (I only washed my Sebring a few times in 4 years).

Here's my observations so far:

No chips whatsoever and I've been on a variety of surfaces.
I am especially paranoid of damaging the rims for the reasons already stated in this forum. My dealer did warn me about this before I bought it, though.
The car goes like stink. Yesterday I had it up to 145 kms/hour just to test (around 90MPH) and there was plenty more available I just didn't want to push it any harder while still breaking in. No shimmy at all and very smooth.
The CVT is a little clunky but still gives me enough of a sporty feel while not having to have a full manual tranny.
I took the car up towards Whistler on those tight mountain curves and it was a complete pleasure, holding the road tightly even on some pretty serious turns at high speed.

All-in-all...I think this is the perfect fit for me! Thanks to Suzuki for following my wish list.

Qwackers out.
Last edited by Qwackers on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHolyGhost

Hi Qwackers,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the car. There are lots of people on here who are really enjoying their cars, it's great to add another member!
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
uforaverwill

Welcome to the family Qwackers! :)
2010 Kizashi SE
Platinum Silver
Kenneth254

Hi from Alberta, Canada where the only model available was a fully loaded CVT with AWD. With just over 3000km (2000miles) on it, my wife and I are very satisfied with it's handling, heated seated, great stereo, leather interior, etc. Love the 18 inch wheels, easy closing doors, heated mirrors and bold yet restrained styling. Sure the AWD reduces the gas mileage but come January (and maybe as early as parts of October/November) it is going to be worth it's weight, so to speak.

Things I would change come by way of noticing the differences in features between our new Kizashi and our 2001 Volvo S80 T6. In the Volvo, if you want to change the memory seat you simply press the button (1,2 or 3) of your choice. You do the same in the Kizashi except you must engage the power by pushing the start button; just inconvenient is all particularly if my wife has been driving - she's 5'1" and I'm 6'1" - which means I want the seat to move into position before I attempt to sit in. The power driver seat has great variation and it's a d***** shame that the passenger side has only fwd and reverse; it's a cheap copout on an otherwise finely featured interior. The trunk at first appears spacious until you encounter the poorly designed trunk hinges that come down into the trunk compartment and land atop the second set of golf clubs or whatever you may have arranged to put in for the weekend, etc. In the Volvo the trunk is hinged to the outside of the trunk compartment and assisted by hydraulics for smooth opening and closing.
Yes, I agree that the radio controls are too small and out of reach except you do have the steering wheel mounted controls as a balance. Yes, the CVT is slow off the line - I love driving it in sport shift but you have to wait for the torque to kick in -- and then the ranges are very tight from #1 thru 4.

The one concern I had while waiting for our Red Kizashi to arrive was the 'paint chip' issue. I decided to be proactive and spent $825 on 3M protection that covers virtually all the potential trouble areas. The car looks great and painted surfaces, 3M and plastic trim all seem to relish a coating of Opti-Seal.