Now that you've had it a while...

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Senegal

gaww wrote: In any case, this really appears to be the reason they apparently de-tuned the Kizashi - to minimize max loads at full throttle start-up from below 15 mph.
so do you think revving the car up from the stop in manual mode would hurt the CVT?
gaww

Senegal wrote:
gaww wrote: In any case, this really appears to be the reason they apparently de-tuned the Kizashi - to minimize max loads at full throttle start-up from below 15 mph.
so do you think revving the car up from the stop in manual mode would hurt the CVT?
It may very well do so. This one does not have a regular torque converter like a regular auto trans, so slipping the belt may not be a good idea.

I tied it once (not a lot revved up though, and it immediately bogged down when I took off... I don't intend to drag race with it - but when trying to quick start and change lanes - will have to be aware it may not be possible. Not a good habit anyway (residual NY/CAL driving habit).
Hawkzilla

This is all very good info, especially for me as I have leased my Kizashi and was leaning towards buying it out in the end so I could put a turbo kit on it. But now I know I will be turning it in and getting either a new model Kizashi with higher HP (they should have one available by then) or start looking around to see what else is out there.

The good news is that I can now drive the way I prefer without worrying too much about long-term engine wear. 8-)
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic
lookin

is it me but i think the kizashi is kinda fast not dragger fast but in no time on highway im at 80 mph or so ....this bogging down everyone talking about seems to me be only a sound the tranny makes the car dont seem like it lost power to me...maybe im just a slow driver
gaww

In looking at the JATCO site some more, it occurred to me the 0-15 mph lag may be the result of a relatively high effective lowest gear ratio of the CVT and not a tweaking by Suzuki.

JASTCO's newer auxiliary gearbox CVTa (only available on smaller cars currently) tout lower effective ratios and better acceleration. The Kizashi really does behave like a car that is started up in 2nd gear - slow until it gets up some speed.

A poster in the performance section was getting 1 second better times by running up the rpms before brake release - don't suggest doing it, as it could cause abnormal wear of or by the CVT belt.
Hawkzilla

It's only the 0-15mph that bothers me, after that I am very happy with the acceleration. 8-)
volunteer

Hawkzilla wrote:It's only the 0-15mph that bothers me, after that I am very happy with the acceleration. 8-)
I've noticed the 0-15 lag seems to be disappearing as the miles accumulate. I went over 3,000 yesterday and it isn't nearly as bad as when it was new. It's possible it's my imagination or I've gotten used to it, but I also can't help but wonder if the computer running the transmission learns your driving style. I know Audi's used that logic. If you drove in stop and go traffic all the time, the throttle response would get less sensitive. There was a way to reset the logic though which brought the performance back.
gaww

volunteer wrote:
Hawkzilla wrote:It's only the 0-15mph that bothers me, after that I am very happy with the acceleration. 8-)
I've noticed the 0-15 lag seems to be disappearing as the miles accumulate. I went over 3,000 yesterday and it isn't nearly as bad as when it was new. It's possible it's my imagination or I've gotten used to it, but I also can't help but wonder if the computer running the transmission learns your driving style. I know Audi's used that logic. If you drove in stop and go traffic all the time, the throttle response would get less sensitive. There was a way to reset the logic though which brought the performance back.
I have close to 7000 - and just ran the tests I mentioned earlier. I am betting it is your imagination, as if such a control system was there - Suzuki would have touted it and media testers would have mentioned it.

I really think it is the effective mechanical gear ratio that is equivalent to 2nd gear in a manual trans. If it IS computer controlled, than there would be hope it could be modified - but I doubt it

Again - I mostly miss it when I want to jack rabbit from a stoplight to make enough room to safely change lanes - can't do that anymore. My previous car had the larger JATCO CVT with AWD - and it would take off OK. really strange they way this one is set up.
Hawkzilla

I agree with the gear ratio theory, but I would bet money that it is purposely set-up that way in the computer... and if so, there would be a good reason for that as any car company would want max acceleration, as long as it's not HARMFUL on the car. So I'm going to guess Suzuki chose to put reliability above max off-the-line speed, which is fine by me as reliability trumps everything else on my list.

And I don't think it's in your head, my Kiz seems to jump off the line quicker than it did at 0-1000 miles. Then again the engine is broken in and I have full synth & a K&N air filter in her now, so who knows. lol
Zeid

I think everyone is forgetting that the only reason why transmissions are controlled the way they are today (via the ECU) is for FUEL ECONOMY. Just about all new cars, even a brand new 2010 Audi A4 I drov e for a few days have this lag. It's a mix of the electronic throttle control system and the programming logic for the transmission.

People burn the most fuel when moving from a stop, so Suzuki, like other automakers, tuned the transmission to be at a higher ratio from the get-go.

Like I said, you can by-pass much of this by putting the car in MANUAL mode and shifting. Come back and let me know if that doesn't solve your problem :)
Suzuki Kizashi GTS AWD-Platinum Silver-Since 5/28/10
Mechanical Engineer
Owner of http://www.theCollegeDriver.com