upcoming warranty advice PLEEEEEZ

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
matt_gold99

Hi!

So, some drunk driver rear-ended me last week. My wife and I were in the car, stationary, he was doing about 60km/h and slammed into us like we weren't there.
We were driving our Suzuki SX4 sedan, 2008. We both LOVED that car.

So..insurance money. I went out, threw in an extra 5k of my own money, and upgraded to a 2011 Kizashi! I get it tomorrow. VERY excited. So's the wife, but not nearly as much as me.

The dealership told me that I have a 5 year 100,000km warranty on it, however i keep reading that warranty is only 3 year. Is 5 year possible? (I'm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada BTW)

Also, I was told by the dealership that if I wanted an extended warranty I had to let them know before taking possession of the car, and not after, yet I read that you can actually get an extended up until the normal warranty runs out.

Any input? Clock's tickin....

oh ya one other thing...How is the Kizashi on long, high speed trips? I test drove it on the highway for a few minutes and it felt very very "at-home" at relatively top-end high speeds....
Moto
Site Admin

I don't know anything about the warranty in Canada, but I know a few of our members regularly cruise the car at very high speed.

One member has 80k miles and based on what he has to say the car holds up well at high speed in bad conditions.

It should be quite a step up from the SX4.
KuroNekko

I imagine the warranty situation is because of the recent news that Suzuki is leaving Canada. They announced it late last month.
We have quite a few Canadian members so maybe a few of them can chime in on the warranty deal in Canada.

As for high speed driving, the Kizashi is very solid at high speed. It is very smooth and rather quiet. It will probably be a noticeable improvement over your SX4 at high speed.
In fact, it's quite dangerous: you can easily end up driving faster than you realized and may cause a cop to drop a donut and give chase.

The Kizashi is not a fast car, but handles any speed confidently and with comfort.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
ipaqxman

Glad u were ok after being rear ended at that speed
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
fjroman2

I am guessing (you should verify on the Canadian Suzuki website)...but, I imagine the car has a 3/36,000 k/m year bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 year/100,000 k/m drivetrain warranty. In the US we have a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper and a 7 year/100,000 mile drivetrain warranty.

Regarding how the car drives...I have an AWD SLS (not sure which model you are getting), but I just took it to Philly, from upstate NY and back. About 400 miles (back and forth) on the highway. The car was great...comfortable, good mileage (averaged almost 30mpg), plenty of power, etc...the car is perfect at 70+ miles...my wife never knows how fast I am driving...it is smooth as a baby's bottom.

Good luck...you will love it.
2013 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD - Premium Silver
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
2013 Honda Pilot (wife's vehicle)
matt_gold99

ipaqxman wrote:Glad u were ok after being rear ended at that speed
Thanks. It was a perfect hit from the back, the head rests did their jobs and I can assure you all that Suzuki does crumple zones very well. The back of the SX4 is decimated and we were ok, so all is as it should be.

I looked on the Suzuki Canada site, as I should have done before posting. Yep, bumper to bumper 3 years and power train for 5.

I read an article though that states that an extended warranty can be purchased any time up until the normal warranty runs out, but the dealership will try to tell me I have to decide right away. Which is right?

BTW regarding driving at speed...heading back to Toronto from "cottage country", folks regularly do up to 140kph or 86mph, at least to pass slower cars. It sounds like I won't have any problem reaching this and being comfortable in the new Kizashi.

(BTW my wife is calling it the "Sashimi" because she can't remember the word "Kizashi")
Northernstar

Not sure about the extended warranty but I wouldn't bother with it. Never bought it before and never will.
KuroNekko

matt_gold99 wrote: (BTW my wife is calling it the "Sashimi" because she can't remember the word "Kizashi")
Hahaha. Folks here call it "Kizzy or Kiz" sometimes. I sometimes call it "'Zashi".
Kizashi is a Japanese word and means omen, harbinger, or "sign of things to come".
Omens don't have the negative connotation in Japan like they do in the West. For example, a budding flower on a bare tree is a "kizashi" of spring. That's how the word is used in Japanese.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
WIKizashi

I did about 500 miles round trip over Easter weekend with speed limits ranging between 55 and 65. I was easily up around 85 at a few points while passing and the Kizashi handles beautifully.
Ronzuki

You will find the Kizashi behaves reliably and predictably at all speeds. It's truly a driver's car.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)