Fuel Economy - manual transmission

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Woodie

The EPA does the EPA tests, and the Feds are in love with ethanol because it brings in the lobbying money.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
SamirD

But do you think the EPA would be using 10% ethanol? I mean, that will lower mileage by at least 4-5 points. I bet the car manufacturers would have a hissy fit over that.
KuroNekko

Today, I did the most highway driving I've done in the Kizashi since the day I bought it and drove it home. I decided to measure highway fuel economy for my trip since I normally do a lot of city or mixed driving.

I got a full tank of fuel before the trip and refueled once I got home. I drove nearly 300 miles round trip, nearly all highway. Here are the stats:

Kizashi's MPG computer: 33.8 MPG (6.96 L/100km)
Miles driven/gallons consumed: 32.9 MPG (7.15 L/100km)
Total driven miles (round trip): 294.8 miles.
Amount of fuel to refill to full: 8.951 gallons.
Average speed according to car: 60 MPH
Average freeway speed observed: 70 to 80 MPH.
Fuel grade: Regular/87 octane.
Occupants: driver only.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the results. While it's such a small sample that it may not be too statistically significant, it does reflect my fuel efficiency for this trip and style of driving. The EPA estimate for this car's highway MPG is 29 so I definitely got over that, even when traveling roughly 70~80 MPH for most of the trip. This goes to show that the manual transmission Kizashi can easily surpass 30 MPG in highway driving and come to match the CVT's figures.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

That is a small ample, just barely over half a tank, but it fits right in with my results. I think if I could keep the speed down, I could get 35 mpg, but I can't, the thing just wants to go 70 - 80.
But do you think the EPA would be using 10% ethanol? I mean, that will lower mileage by at least 4-5 points.
Somehow I missed this when it was posted a month ago. Of course they're using the only gas allowed, and no way does E10 make a difference worth mentioning in a modern car. Older cars sometimes have a substantial drop in mileage, but if you can show repeatable results of more than 1 mpg change, I'd be completely flabbergasted. Ethanol has 30% less energy, the 10% mix has 3% less energy, 3% is less than 1 mpg. There are also some actual improvements in efficiency available from ethanol which most modern cars take advantage of, offsetting a smidgen of that.

I'm no fan of E10, I think it's government meddling and trying to wave a majik wand to make a problem go away, but to claim it makes a huge difference in mileage is disingenuous. They do owe me for a new weedwacker and leaf blower, E10 killed them dead, along with 100's of millions of others.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ehibb034

I'm hovering in the high 20's low 30's. My commute is probably 80% highway.

Hand calculated number on my first fill up which is why I gave a range.
2011 6spd. Kizashi Sport SLS. Azure Gray Metallic.
LPSISRL

Just a half gallon difference in your calculation will make 1.8 MPG difference. In otherwords, if you put in just a half gallon more than you started with when you filled, your mileage would drop by 1.8. By the same token, if you put in a half gallon less than you started with, you MPG would have increased almost 2 MPG. So such small sample has a significant potential for error.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
KuroNekko

Let me add that this was on 10% ethanol fuel.
Regardless of accuracy from my small sample, a few things are clear from my observations and that of others with 6 speed manuals:

- The 6 speed Kizashi can easily go over 30 MPG on the highway even with the 18 inch wheels.
- The EPA figures underestimate the Kizashi's hwy MPG (they rate it at 29 MPG for models with 18 inch wheels).
- The observed MPGs from owners here show that CVT fuel economy and manual transmission fuel economy are more similar than what the EPA figures show.

I think this is rather important to note because the auto industry is trumpeting CVTs as the most efficient transmission for internal combustion engines. While they are known to be more efficient than tradition autos, the evidence that they are better than manuals is not very convincing. I consistently see EPA figures that show CVTs getting better fuel economy than their manual versions, but owner data shows otherwise in various makes and models.
My point here is that manuals have yet to be trumped by CVTs in terms of real world efficiency. Traditionally, it was known that manuals offered better fuel economy than geared automatics. This was verified both statistically and empirically. Now, CVTs have higher numbers on paper, but many owners are observing efficiency nearly equivalent to manuals.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
~tc~

Woodie wrote:That is a small ample, just barely over half a tank, but it fits right in with my results. I think if I could keep the speed down, I could get 35 mpg, but I can't, the thing just wants to go 70 - 80.
X2
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
Speed_Racer

I recommend charting economy over a long period of time for the most accuracy.

Ditto on the >30mpg hwy figures. I made a trip from SLC to Vegas and back and averaged about 31 mpg at 85 mph (speed limits along this route are up to 80 mph).

Other vehicles (rented) I've made the same trip in:
- CVT Versa hatch (26-27 mpg average)
- CVT Versa sedan (35 mpg)

But the Kizashi is a much better highway cruiser than the two above. Versas are incredibly loud and tippy.
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
ipaqxman

I have accumulated meticulously 13 months of fuel economy on my car, since it's averaging so horridly.

I usually get <20 MPG per tank (calculated) but the associated average speed is usually <20 mph. The EPA city MPG is tested at a average speed of 21 mph (while the htihway EPA avg speed is 48). I had a few tanks of 27-30 MPG on roadtrips with average speed ranging in the 40s mph. I know some people don't believe it, but I feel most of the time the average speed gives a good indication of how much city/highway ratio one drives and correlates well to the MPG, so it'd be helpful if people reset their avg speed with each fill-up and report those figures as well.

Kuro's figures are no surprise in that the MPG exceeds the EPA highway rating, since the EPA is tested at 48 mph avg speed, meaning there's still some slowing down and accelerating in the tested cycle. If you can keep your speed at 60 constantly without much dec/acceleration it wouldn't be surprising you are exceeding the EPA rating. Over 65 there will likely be a decline in MPG?

In 13 months after 28 tanks I am averaging 21.3 MPG, with a overall average speed of 21.5 mph. So I am not sure whether to blame the car or the slow city driving around here.
2011 Kizash SLS AWD