I Need Feedback from Mobile Users

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Moto
Site Admin

In the last year, the traffic on this site gone from basically zero to more than twenty percent mobile, and it looks like the swing is going to happen quicker than I want it to.

This forum is already available on tapatalk, but I'm not sure if that is the best option. That app is not much good my phone, but I still use an old phone with a small screen. I'm also not sure if the apps work well for people based abroad.

I can probably set up the site to dynamically load more quickly and cleanly on phones using new phpbb templates that are becoming available. The goal is to reduce load time to around 5 seconds as that is the proven attention span for most mobile users.

Alternatively, I can explore other apps like tapatalk which will probably provide a good mobile experience (most of them are not free...). Apps tend to limit the ability to monetize the forum, and the only group who does well are the people providing the App. I run several websites and most years I'm lucky if I cover all of my costs. However, I will say that most forums that have a donate button and ads are full of crap. If they have an active site their server costs are covered. Donations are likely beer money which is still nice as a lot of hours go into running the sites each year.

Anyway... back to the task at hand.
Some of you must frequent several web forums on your phone/tablet. What are your preferences?

It will take me awhile to make the changes. This board is already one version behind on installs for phpbb and the next version may(will) break the current theme/layout.

This forum has been running since 2009 and has seen quite a few mods installed so I might do a clean slate for the next version as it will run on a new version of php.

Edit: Didn't proof this at all before I posted it... :facepalm:
Last edited by Moto on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: made sicky for 3 days
bootymac

Tapatalk is now free on Android and is probably the most popular forum browsing app. It streamlines the whole forum experience into a mobile friendly interface. All the forums I frequent are on it and it's extremely convenient having everything in one place. It also pushes notifications to you which is great

Load times aren't an issue for me on Tapatalk but I'm on the Nexus 5 with an LTE connection (50+ Mbit)
Moto
Site Admin

I don't get feedback I just start trying stuff.

:P

Yell at me if you hate the changes.
Ronzuki

I don't own a phone that any of this applies to....so as long as the ole PC works w/ whatever your tryin', HAVE AT IT buddy!
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

I have an iPhone 5 and have accessed this site on it before. The site looks like a miniature version of what it looks like on a computer. I don't mind it as the same layout makes it easy to navigate out of familiarity, but it requires zooming in quite a bit to even click on buttons.
Whenever I do visit the site on my phone, the Tapatalk thing comes up to suggest an installation, but I have ignored it thus far.

Personally, I don't mind browsing the forum as it is on the iPhone. I usually wait until I get on a computer to reply however, but that's more because I don't care for typing things at length on the phone whether it be on this forum or an email for work.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
honsonwong

I am now surfing by my Samsung galaxy s3, it is much easiler and faster than before. Thanks.
Moto
Site Admin

Site is (should be) dynamically loading a mobile friendly theme based on the OS and screen size. I believe most tablets will still see the normal site.

If you want to see what it looks like click on the "Switch to mobile style" at the bottom center of the site.
Shaneous

I don't use this particular site from my mobile, possibly may from my tablet (but don't think I have yet), but almost exlusibvle from my work or home PC's or my laptop.

Agreed its valuable to have a mobile friendly env. these days however. Its becoming essential for survival and relevance.
Northernstar

tried accessing this site from my phone once but gave up. The words are just too small and i am too lazy to zoom in and out constantly
KuroNekko

Northernstar wrote:tried accessing this site from my phone once but gave up. The words are just too small and i am too lazy to zoom in and out constantly
The new mobile version is better. While it's a completely different look from the computer version, it allows much easier navigating and reading.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)