What Did You Do With Your Kizashi Today?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
SamirD

Ronzuki wrote:
SamirD wrote: Did the relearn using the air drop trick and it took on the first shot. :D
You'll have to sell your services...you've got the touch apparently.
I think it's because I had enough practice all the times I got it wrong. :lol:
OliverB

New tires, new brakes, new rotors, new shock absorbers/struts, oil change, filters replaced, sway bar link ends. One of the bolts holding the top of the rear driver's shock absorber snapped and now the car sounds like its about to explode because the shock absorber isn't sitting properly where it should. I've ordered an entire shock absorber assembly from a junk yard.
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
SamirD

OliverB wrote:New tires, new brakes, new rotors, new shock absorbers/struts, oil change, filters replaced, sway bar link ends. One of the bolts holding the top of the rear driver's shock absorber snapped and now the car sounds like its about to explode because the shock absorber isn't sitting properly where it should. I've ordered an entire shock absorber assembly from a junk yard.
:o How in the world would a bolt just snap like that? Did you ever have that shock replaced before?
OliverB

SamirD wrote:
OliverB wrote:New tires, new brakes, new rotors, new shock absorbers/struts, oil change, filters replaced, sway bar link ends. One of the bolts holding the top of the rear driver's shock absorber snapped and now the car sounds like its about to explode because the shock absorber isn't sitting properly where it should. I've ordered an entire shock absorber assembly from a junk yard.
:o How in the world would a bolt just snap like that? Did you ever have that shock replaced before?
They were KYB's so the previous owner changed them. They didn't seem to be leaking but I figured I might as well change them since I do 1000kms per week on avg.

One of the two bolts #6
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
KuroNekko

OliverB wrote:
SamirD wrote:
They were KYB's so the previous owner changed them. They didn't seem to be leaking but I figured I might as well change them since I do 1000kms per week on avg.
In my experience, the upper suspension bolts are far weaker and spec'ed at much lower torque than one would expect. Without the use of a torque wrench dialed into the specified torque, it's easy to over-tighten and break upper mounting hardware for suspensions. I did the same thing for a front strut mounting bolt on my GF's Mazda3. It's really the lower bolts that are the beefy hardware taking the abuse that often require breaker bars and impact wrenches to remove.

P.S. KYB is the OE shock manufacturer for the Kizashi. If they were labeled as KYB by stickers, it could have been an aftermarket replacement but either way, Kizashi shocks are KYBs. Also, to preserve the longevity of the rear shocks on the Kizashi, you need the revised bump stopper. Tons of info on that here:
https://kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3186
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

Yep, overtorquing was exactly what I was thinking would have caused that. Happens waaay too often unless you're watching for such things--which there is no excuse for if you're a paid 'pro'.
OliverB

KuroNekko wrote:
OliverB wrote:
SamirD wrote: :o How in the world would a bolt just snap like that? Did you ever have that shock replaced before?
In my experience, the upper suspension bolts are far weaker and spec'ed at much lower torque than one would expect. Without the use of a torque wrench dialed into the specified torque, it's easy to over-tighten and break upper mounting hardware for suspensions. I did the same thing for a front strut mounting bolt on my GF's Mazda3. It's really the lower bolts that are the beefy hardware taking the abuse that often require breaker bars and impact wrenches to remove.

P.S. KYB is the OE shock manufacturer for the Kizashi. If they were labeled as KYB by stickers, it could have been an aftermarket replacement but either way, Kizashi shocks are KYBs. Also, to preserve the longevity of the rear shocks on the Kizashi, you need the revised bump stopper. Tons of info on that here:
https://kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3186
Yeah I found that thread the other day, I'll change them after winter. Previous owner did not do the recall.
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
Ronzuki

SamirD wrote:Yep, overtorquing was exactly what I was thinking would have caused that. Happens waaay too often unless you're watching for such things--which there is no excuse for if you're a paid 'pro'.
Most paid 'pros' use their air ratchets and guns anywhere they'll physically fit or reach, period....many don't know what a torque wrench is, or how to follow simple instructions. I watched them do my rears under the TSB and after he zipped the upper bolts out w/ his air gun, I said "you're going to torque them to spec by hand when reinstalling them, right?" More of an edict than a question. The young'n was pissed because he had to go and find out what "spec" was. Ah warranty work...'paid' to get it done as quickly as possible and move on the next butcher job.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

Ronzuki wrote:
SamirD wrote:Yep, overtorquing was exactly what I was thinking would have caused that. Happens waaay too often unless you're watching for such things--which there is no excuse for if you're a paid 'pro'.
Most paid 'pros' use their air ratchets and guns anywhere they'll physically fit or reach, period....many don't know what a torque wrench is, or how to follow simple instructions. I watched them do my rears under the TSB and after he zipped the upper bolts out w/ his air gun, I said "you're going to torque them to spec by hand when reinstalling them, right?" More of an edict than a question. The young'n was pissed because he had to go and find out what "spec" was. Ah warranty work...'paid' to get it done as quickly as possible and move on the next butcher job.
Yep, and this is why I carefully consider what current problem I have versus the problem they'll create with a 'fix'. I think I'm on the 11th notice for the shifter recall. :lol:
OliverB

Got my package today. I knew immediately by the shape of the box that the shock absorber mount wasn't in there. Now I'm stuck with a used KYB strut that's worth twice as much as a brand new one. I swear, you can't get things right unless you do them yourself...
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi