So, um, what do you do if you lock yourself out?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KuroNekko

~tc~ wrote:No, I mean on the car, like the old magnetic "hideakey" boxes, or even in your wallet or whatever.
You can in a way. This is how I would do it:
Hide the key and only the key in a magnetic box or keep it in a wallet, separate key chain, etc. This will allow you entry to the vehicle.
Hide a second fob inside the car (locked in glove box?) but with the battery removed and taped to the exterior of the fob. This will disable the radio signal between the fob and the car and allow you to hide the fob inside the vehicle and lock it.
So in the event that you lose your original fob key, you can enter the vehicle with the spare key alone, recover the hidden fob inside the car, install the battery inside the fob, and then fully operate the car.
A pain in the ass, yes, but this is a way to do it.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
glorybound4

That's a good tip, I'm going out now to follow that, hey thank you.
2010 kazashi SLS AWD
2012 SX4 Crossover
2008 SX4 Crossover
2006 XL-7
paininthenuts

KuroNekko wrote:
~tc~ wrote:There's no way to have a spare.
What do you mean? Can't you buy another blank/un-programmed key fob, take it to the dealership, and have them program the new fob?
I'm looking at my spare right now and it even has a little placard tag with a five digit code. I'm sure that's used by Suzuki to reference key cuts for additional keys. Programming additional fobs cannot be hard for a dealership and I wouldn't be surprised if a Nissan dealer could program the Kizashi's keys given they both use very similar fobs made by Calsonic.
I am really lost here, albeit I would like to tell you the cost of a replacement fob in the UK. You won't get much change from $300. We get ripped for everything.

Anyway. I would have thought that the fob being left in the car would allow the driver to entry via the button on the door handle. If not, why is this the case ?
sigma008

No the car detects whether the fob is inside or outside of the car. You should not be able to lock the doors if the fob is inside of the car and active...
paininthenuts

sigma008 wrote:No the car detects whether the fob is inside or outside of the car. You should not be able to lock the doors if the fob is inside of the car and active...
That's what I thought, so how did someone get locked out ?

Aaaggghh, hang on a minute, I just read the thread again, and it would appear that the keys fell out of a bag, but not inside the car. In realty then the thread is a bit daft, as it may well have been a household key, or a key for a car without keyless entry.

The answer of course is be more careful.
KuroNekko

paininthenuts wrote:
sigma008 wrote:No the car detects whether the fob is inside or outside of the car. You should not be able to lock the doors if the fob is inside of the car and active...
That's what I thought, so how did someone get locked out ?

Aaaggghh, hang on a minute, I just read the thread again, and it would appear that the keys fell out of a bag, but not inside the car. In realty then the thread is a bit daft, as it may well have been a household key, or a key for a car without keyless entry.

The answer of course is be more careful.
Original poster ~tc~ apparently lost his keys outside the vehicle. So the issue was what to do when you don't have either the fob or the key.
Then the discussion became how one can keep a key and fob in or on the vehicle as a spare. As we all know, the fob will not allow you to lock the fob inside the car from the outside to prevent owners from being locked out. However, if you remove the battery from the fob, this system is bypassed. I simply suggested taping the battery to the spare fob and storing it locked in the glove box or hidden somewhere in the cabin. This way, when you find your spare, you can insert the battery and use the spare fob that was stored in your car as a backup to start the engine and drive.
This might be a good back up for people like ~tc~ who frequently travel and have their cars parked far from home at places like an airport.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Firefly

There IS a way that you can get locked out with the fob in the car. And that is if the fob battery is dying.
Happened to me...
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
SamirD wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:This is useful for locking a valet out of the glove box (give him fob and you keep the key) or leaving the engine running and locking the doors (again, with key). A physical key is also a back-up to gain entry to the vehicle which would be good in emergency situations (dead batteries in either car or fob).
Kind of related, but not really--is there a way to lock out the valet from the trunk?
Somewhat.
You can lock the back seats with the key to prevent them from folding down. Inside the glove box, on the right side, there is a trunk release cancel button. Engage this. This will prevent electronic releases of the trunk whether from the fob or the trunk release button. However, I said "somewhat" because the ski pass-through hole is not lockable. If you fold down the rear arm rests, you can open the pass-through to the trunk. If the item was small enough, you can access it from there with a locked trunk.
Thank you KuroNekko! Just what I wanted to know. 8-)
SamirD

~tc~ wrote:No, I mean on the car, like the old magnetic "hideakey" boxes, or even in your wallet or whatever.
I solved this problem a long time ago permanently--just carry two sets of keys, one in each pocket. Chances are you won't lock both sets.

Of course, this worked well until I got married and gave the other set to my wife...who then lost it. :(
SamirD

paininthenuts wrote:I am really lost here, albeit I would like to tell you the cost of a replacement fob in the UK. You won't get much change from $300. We get ripped for everything.
Same here. A replacement fob from the dealership with programming is $260. :(