Some writers just don't the Kizashi

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
paininthenuts

I read many reviews of the Kizashi before and after I bought the car. Some were very good, and some not. The funniest one I read (and I can't find it again) was a British journalist. He tried comparing it with other available family cars and couldn't understand why anyone would buy it when they could buy a Skoda Superb diesel for a smaller price tag. Don't get me wrong, the Skoda Superb diesel is an excellent car, with few faults. It's the comparison that makes me laugh. The Kizi looks mean, performs well and turns heads. It's a mans car, and something to be proud of. It's a car that makes a great noise, leaves most other saloons in it's dust (in the UK anyway) and has equipment coming out of it's ears. The thought of allowing a child in it makes me feel quite ill, and to be honest, I shudder if one even comes close to it's gleaming white paintwork. The Skoda on the other hand is a brilliantly functional car. It is reliable, spacious, well built and designed to take kids. In fact it is ideal for the family, and makes a good taxi as well. Comparing a Kizi with a Superb is like comparing a Ferrari with a pick up truck, and then complaining about the lack of space in the Ferrari's boot. The Kizi was built for fun, and fun it is :lol:
KuroNekko

Most reviews in the US were favorable of the car, but stated that it wasn't exactly a real sports sedan as Suzuki was trumpeting. With only a 4 cylinder engine, a CVT for an auto, and a FWD-based drivetrain, one should say, "Well, no shit." However, it was close on the heels of entry level sports sedans like the Acura TSX that cost thousands more.

Most reviewers got it right that the Kizashi offered good driving dynamics and features that were not found in many rivals when it debuted (push button start, automatic dual climate control, etc. as standard). The car offers a good balance of comfort and handling which is something most cars under 40K don't pull off well. It is also available in AWD even in the base model which is again something many segment rivals don't offer. Most don't offer AWD at all.

I'd say that in the US, the Kizashi got generally positive reviews but no one was raving about it either. The general consensus was that it was a good car that had some benefits over the rivals, but wasn't exactly compelling enough to get all excited about.

I have some UK edition Top Gear magazines and one even had a little blip on the Kizashi. To sum it up, they said they drove the prototype before it was on sale there and they liked it. It was a 6 speed manual FWD, much like my car. They then were shocked that Suzuki decided to sell an AWD CVT as the only Kizashi in the UK. They said that as a CVT with a 2.4 liter, it simply did not fit UK drivers too well. Sounds like they called it well. The Kizashi was a failure in the UK, much like everywhere else.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
~tc~

The only real complaints I read were the lack of Suzuki support and the "small size" compared to the competition. Driving dynamics, value, etc were all very positive.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
paininthenuts

KuroNekko wrote:Most reviews in the US were favorable of the car, but stated that it wasn't exactly a real sports sedan as Suzuki was trumpeting. With only a 4 cylinder engine, a CVT for an auto, and a FWD-based drivetrain, one should say, "Well, no shit." However, it was close on the heels of entry level sports sedans like the Acura TSX that cost thousands more.

Most reviewers got it right that the Kizashi offered good driving dynamics and features that were not found in many rivals when it debuted (push button start, automatic dual climate control, etc. as standard). The car offers a good balance of comfort and handling which is something most cars under 40K don't pull off well. It is also available in AWD even in the base model which is again something many segment rivals don't offer. Most don't offer AWD at all.

I'd say that in the US, the Kizashi got generally positive reviews but no one was raving about it either. The general consensus was that it was a good car that had some benefits over the rivals, but wasn't exactly compelling enough to get all excited about.

I have some UK edition Top Gear magazines and one even had a little blip on the Kizashi. To sum it up, they said they drove the prototype before it was on sale there and they liked it. It was a 6 speed manual FWD, much like my car. They then were shocked that Suzuki decided to sell an AWD CVT as the only Kizashi in the UK. They said that as a CVT with a 2.4 liter, it simply did not fit UK drivers too well. Sounds like they called it well. The Kizashi was a failure in the UK, much like everywhere else.
They have made it work so much better. Just by giving a manual version would have helped. It is a Sports saloon, so by giving it a smaller engine or a diesel option, may have go against the grain. That said, due to fuel prices in the UK, they may have given us a slightly more economic engine. In years to come, this car may be worth a few quid because of it's rarity. Unfortunately I never keep cars for more than a few years, and without doubt lose a fortune as usual.

The fact is that the Kizashi is quite unique. It's not in the M3 bracket, nor is it a straight forward executive car. It is an executive sports saloon at a competitive price with 4WD, and in the UK, I simply can't think of another car I can really compare it with. I am 56 years old, and always enjoyed cars. My dream was to own a big luxury car, which I did when I bought my Merc E Class. I promised that from that point onwards I would be sensible again. It was only because of my knowledge of the Kizi, and the stupidly low price I got it for that I bought it. Strangely enough, I feel more passionate about this car than I ever thought I could. My friend who works for Suzuki who is now on his 2nd one, and shortly will have his 3rd, feels exactly the same.
KuroNekko

~tc~ wrote:The only real complaints I read were the lack of Suzuki support and the "small size" compared to the competition. Driving dynamics, value, etc were all very positive.
Agreed however, I've read some reviews questioning the price of loaded Kizashis like the SLS. Keep in mind that it was when they were new and still sold in the US. Now, any Kizashi is a good deal.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
paininthenuts

KuroNekko wrote:
~tc~ wrote:The only real complaints I read were the lack of Suzuki support and the "small size" compared to the competition. Driving dynamics, value, etc were all very positive.
Agreed however, I've read some reviews questioning the price of loaded Kizashis like the SLS. Keep in mind that it was when they were new and still sold in the US. Now, any Kizashi is a good deal.
We only got the Sport version with a CVT box. The original price was about £23k ($34K). The equivalent German brand would have been about $60k. It's strange you talk about the size. The first thing people say when they see my Kizi is that they are surprised about how big it is. I have only been to the states once, and like most Britts find it quite strange how much bigger everything is. Not just the cars, the roads, and even the parking spaces. In a UK car park you would struggle to fit two Kizis next to each other and get out of the car.

Suzuki could have done so much better with this car if they had only tried harder. Maybe it is a good thing they didn't, as love the fact it is so rare.
SamirD

paininthenuts wrote:The first thing people say when they see my Kizi is that they are surprised about how big it is. I have only been to the states once, and like most Britts find it quite strange how much bigger everything is. Not just the cars, the roads, and even the parking spaces. In a UK car park you would struggle to fit two Kizis next to each other and get out of the car.
I definitely believe you on the size. In the UK, the Kizashi is a fully out 'big' car. Here in the US, it used to be 'midsize', but in the last 10 years, this is now the 'small' car. Not compact or sub-compact, but the smallest of 'fullsize' sedans.

It's crazy how large cars have gotten here. Accords are the size of Ford Crown Vics and the current Civic sedan is the size of my 94 Accord. :o

I think it's because all our butts are swelling up larger than ever. :facepalm: