AMP Distortion

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
waiter

Has anybody else ran into this problem?

I have an SLS with the Rockford Fosgate system. My PUNCH Bass is set at "0" if I move it to +1 or any higher the AMP is so strong that the radio song gets distorted. If I put it back to "0" it is still distorted for a period of time then goes back to normal sounding. If I stick a CD in and go +1, +2 or higher there is no distortion.

Is this normal?
lookin

no not normal at all how check some other settings make sure you dont have anything all the way up to distort if not you got a bad amp
JDReichert

This is just my two-cents worth. The system and amplifiers they install in these cars is mediocre at best. I have checked the sound using a mastered CD of “Fresh Aire III by Mannheim Steamroller”. I compared the sound quality against my home system an Altec-Lansing with 15” woofers in the system utilized by The Bell Labs to develop the “Symposium of stereophonic music in 1937 and Marantz Model 9 tube amplifiers with less than .001 per cent distortion from 10Hz to 30,000Hz. The Rockford Fosgate are not studio or recording quality components, therefore YES, there is distortion at levels of 24 and above compared to this system. I will continue to monitor the sound quality in the car and if it becomes more distorted and raspy, I will probably replace the amplifier with a JBL or equivalent. I replaced the entire speaker and amplifier with JBL components in our 633CSi BMW and they sound super. Best of luck to all. :) :)

Jerry – 2010 Kizashi SLS, 1983 BMW 633CSi, 1977 Mercedes-Benz 280SL
Tim-M

The dust shield on your subwoofer with the RF logo stamped into it might have become detached from the speaker cone.

It will cause a level of distortion you would not believe.. :D

Have your dealer check it out for you.

The RF system is a huge step up in sound quality over the usualy systems supplied by Suzuki/Clarion

PS Jerry, I think you have a couple of extra zeros in your distortion specs, most tube amps are around 0.1%, but I'd love to trade you my little Heathkit SA2 for your Marantz mono blocks :D

Cheers,

Tim
JDReichert

To Tim-M, you are almost correct about the number. My memory , at age 75, has go the way of everything. I looked it up in my documentation and the amps were tested at the McIntosh amplifier clinic in San Jose California on 6/14/1971 with the following at full power of 60 watts each with the following results. 20 Hz total harmonic distortion = .040%; at 1000 Hz .025% and 20,000 Hz .030%. I'll keep you in mind for the trade. I built some Heathkits in my time and love them. I still use the bench testing system.

Jerry
kentucky1777

As a former salesman of MacIntosh electronics I would say that they will certainly spoil you when you have to listen to lesser equipment, but let's be fair to the Rockford-Fosgate system, your home system probably cost as much as ne Kizashi. The R-F system compares well with other premium factory car stereos, though there are certainly better sounding aftermarket products (of which JBL is one of several excellent manufacturers). Lets compare apples to apples.
JDReichert

I agree 100%. The F-G system sounds better than the system (Bose) that was in our Cadillac. We must always remember what we paid for these cars. They were very well equipped for the price. And as always, this is a CAR and we have road noise plus my hearing aids are not like your hearing when your 25 years old.

Jerry