I can't find reverse!!

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Kevwitasuzook

I have a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS 6-speed manual. I just got it yesterday there are 51000 miles on it.

I know that I have to shift to the right and backward to like five occlock while pulling up on the ring but I still can't seem to get it to go in.

If anyone has tips or something to help me please let me know! this is driving me crazy.
KuroNekko

Welcome. I also have a GTS 6 speed.
First, push the shifter to the right until it stops in between 5th and 6th. Then pull up on the lock-out collar. You should feel the shifter fall to the right even further. Then pull back towards you. That's Reverse gear. Sometimes, it won't engage properly so I'll have to throw it back in there again and on rare occasions, put it in Neutral, release clutch pedal, and depress clutch pedal and try it again. However, Reverse should not be hard to find.
Is it that you're not shifting into it correctly or is it that you actually are and the car's not engaging the Reverse gear properly?

P.S. Get the manual transmission gear oil changed if that's not been done yet. It's about time in mileage. I recommend a high quality synthetic like Red Line MTL or MT-90.
More info on that here:
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... =32&t=2623
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Kevwitasuzook

Thank you so much for replying!

I tried what you said and I still can't find it. It feels like it may be going in but when i try to actually drive it starts me forward like I'm actually in 6th gear instead of reverse.

I went all the way over toward the passenger seat between 5th and 6th then pulled up on the collar and went further over toward the passenger seat and at this point I should pull back toward me? do you mean backwards toward the back seat then over toward the driver seat or what.

I know this is really pretty stupid and I feel like I'm just missing it for whatever reason and if I could see it once I would be fine. I know it is functional, when I went to look at it the dealer pulled it up for my test drive and he backed it up out of the spot, so I don't think its just broken, but it may be.

If you could just clarify for me one more time and I will call the dealer today to see if he can help too or look at the gear oil like you said.

Thanks Again
KuroNekko

Kevwitasuzook wrote: I went all the way over toward the passenger seat between 5th and 6th then pulled up on the collar and went further over toward the passenger seat and at this point I should pull back toward me?
Yes. Once you pull up on the lock-out collar below the shift knob, it should go further to the passenger seat (with you applying force by hand in that direction). Once it goes that way, pull backwards towards you. That's Reverse.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the original shift knob with the shift map on it? Given your difficulty finding it and the fact that the car has over 50K miles, I'm thinking there is an aftermarket knob on it without a map. If that's the case, here's what the original knob looks like below. It includes the shift map for the manual transmission Kizashi.

Speed_Racer

Kevwitasuzook wrote:Thank you so much for replying!

I tried what you said and I still can't find it. It feels like it may be going in but when i try to actually drive it starts me forward like I'm actually in 6th gear instead of reverse.

I went all the way over toward the passenger seat between 5th and 6th then pulled up on the collar and went further over toward the passenger seat and at this point I should pull back toward me? do you mean backwards toward the back seat then over toward the driver seat or what.

I know this is really pretty stupid and I feel like I'm just missing it for whatever reason and if I could see it once I would be fine. I know it is functional, when I went to look at it the dealer pulled it up for my test drive and he backed it up out of the spot, so I don't think its just broken, but it may be.

If you could just clarify for me one more time and I will call the dealer today to see if he can help too or look at the gear oil like you said.

Thanks Again
Just curious, have you driven a stick shift before?

You need to follow the diagram on the shift knob:
- Move the shift knob right from neutral until you're sitting in the space between 5th and 6th (and can't go any further right)
- While still in that position, lift up on the ring below the knob
- You can know push the gearshift further to the right
- When you can't go right anymore, move the lever down (or back). Refer to the diagram on the knob to know which way it goes

I'd take a how-to video, but i'm at work :)
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
murcod

Sometimes moving the lever into first and then going straight to reverse can make it easier (on some vehicles.) Otherwise, if you can't get it in, move back to neutral then let the clutch out then try again (as already mentioned.)

You can lift the collar up before going all the way to the right of the gate too. It doesn't have to be after moving across to 5th/ 6th.

It's not too hard to remove the shift knob and reverse lockout assembly - you could try that to see if there's a problem with the reverse lockout part stopping you getting reverse. It's just a simple mechanism built into the base of the shift lever, you can remove it and then select gears without it blocking access to reverse.
David
Kevwitasuzook

Hey thanks for everyone who is trying to help me find reverse. I took the car to a suzuki dealer to take care of the recall(they didn't find any spiders) and to have them look at the transmission and shifter and they said it looked like the clutch was improperly installed and I needed to replace the shifter cable and some clips.

So now on to part two of my journey I need to find a shifter cable and these clips...

Anyone who can help point me in the right direction? I would appreciate it.

Kevin
KuroNekko

Kevwitasuzook wrote:Hey thanks for everyone who is trying to help me find reverse. I took the car to a suzuki dealer to take care of the recall(they didn't find any spiders) and to have them look at the transmission and shifter and they said it looked like the clutch was improperly installed and I needed to replace the shifter cable and some clips.

So now on to part two of my journey I need to find a shifter cable and these clips...

Kevin
So was this clutch the second one? It's not the original? If the original clutch went out before 51,000 miles, the previous owner was either abusing the car or did not know how to drive a manual properly. While the clutch is a wear item, I imagine things like the shifter cable should be covered under the powertrain warranty.
Regardless, you can find a new one here at this site:
http://suzukicarparts.com/parts/2010/Su ... 0TRANSAXLE
murcod

Kevwitasuzook wrote:Hey thanks for everyone who is trying to help me find reverse. I took the car to a suzuki dealer to take care of the recall(they didn't find any spiders) and to have them look at the transmission and shifter and they said it looked like the clutch was improperly installed and I needed to replace the shifter cable and some clips.

Kevin
It's a long shot - but have a read of this: http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... =12&t=3257

My dealer didn't detect the issue when I complained about shift problems. Apart from removing the air filter box for access (and requiring a second person to operate the pedal while bleeding) it's an easy thing to do.
David
BxKizashiS

Lift the shift boot first while still on neutral.. than bring it to the right than down... while you are going down to put it into reverse, still give alil force right while still having the shift boot up... you will hear like a knuckle cracking sound to confirm your on reverse
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi