Manual 5 Speed or CVT Transmission - feedback required

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
sr20bet

I'm in the process of buying a Kizashi and was going to go for the GTS model or the SE model. My main thing is I wanted to get some feedback regarding the Manual vs. the CVT transmission.

I like the performance attributes of the Manual and would be willing to forgo the AWD, b/c I have to choose the CVT.

My question is:

For those that have gone from a manual car to a CVT Kizashi, would you make the same decision if you went back in time or would you pick the manual?

Does the CVT grow on you with time?

Thanks for any responses.
jimmerz

This is my first CVT transmission, and I have the AWD. I like it just fine. You can switch to manual mode and drive it like you stole it or just leave it in auto and cruise along. All in All, the CVT isa smooth operating tranny for me!
2010 Suzuki Kizashi SE
CVT AWD
Black
I stole the avatar because I liked it!
lookin

cosign you will be happy either way some may say manual is better though but i dont drive manual but i love putting cvt in manual mode its like the best of both worlds
ihbryant

My last car, an '02 WRX, had a manual transmission. If the choice had been available, I probably would have gone with an AWD and manual transmission combination for the Kizashi. After driving and AWD car for eight years, I don't think I would like going back to a 2WD car. So I went with the CVT/AWD combination, at the GTS trim level.

The CVT is really responsive, and I haven't felt any lack of control because of it. The most annoying thing about it is that it tends to upshift too early at low speeds, meaning that if you aren't in manual mode at 20-30 mph, you won't be able to speed up quickly in an emergency without downshifting at least two gears quickly. This can make driving in stop-and-go traffic kind of annoying. However, driving with a manual transmission in stop-and-go traffic is also annoying.

As others have mentioned, there is some lag off of the line because the transmission is not geared as low as it ought to be. I'm used to the turbo lag on the WRX so the slow start doesn't bother me that much. It accelerates decently for on-ramps on the highway, and that is much more important to me. The Kizashi is not a racecar, but the suspension is definitely above average.
Schuzuki

I have an SE with the CVT. Had my budget had room for the GTS, I would have gotten that one with the CVT. I've driven manual transmissions for most of my adult life, and frankly, my left leg is getting tired.

I live the the Minneapolis-St Paul area. Between normal traffic on the streets and backups on the freeway, that clutch leg was getting quite a workout. I've taken my Kizashi out on back roads, and thoroughly love using the "manual" feature of the transmission. It allows me to keep the engine at the best speed for that type of driving. I've noticed that the "1-2 shift" is a bit soft, but the other "gears" shift up and down very quickly and firmly.

I'm not sure where you live, sr20bet, but in the US you can get a manual transmission in every line except the SE. You can also get AWD in every line as well. From a performance standpoint, the GTS is the way to with the CVT, as you get the paddle shifters. Obviously, the GTS is the "starting point" for an AWD performance sedan because the S does not offer cruise control (go figure), and the SE is limited to the CVT.
FWIW, my SE had MSRP of 23,589, and my dealer, White Bear Lake Mitusbishi-Suzuki's Best Price was 22,599. This included freight, but not tax, title and tabs.
sr20bet

It was this review that made me have concerns regarding the CVT,

GREG

I think inbryant hit the nail on the head with what i feel. I put down the cvt pretty bad at first but in a 800 miles of learning it, the biggest downfall is the early upshift. I think the paddle shifters are must though and work really well. Put it in sport manual mode like schuzuki said and it really goes for what it is (not a race car). the ride is great and breaks are awesome.i think in the end you must drive a couple of them and hit some hills and stop and go to feel it out. make sure you drive the one your buying as well because i drove 5 of them and all were different. one in particular i would not have bought, but it may not have had the cvt software update. good luck ps. either way i was done with manual