Wheel/Tire Packages

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
metatrox

Yeah I didn't cut out the white far enough so it left that dumb white line. Sorry was a quick one. Lol.
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
Zeid

Does anyone have info on winter tires/rims? I'm looking to get a set and going with the 16'' standard S-trim level wheel size. I'm having a hard time finding steel wheels though and are finding alloy wheels to be about the same cost.

Any info?

Also, the TPMS sensors are PRICEY! About $700 alone on tirerack.com for all four of them. I'm most likely not getting them installed on my winter set and will deal with the light and flashing screen.
Suzuki Kizashi GTS AWD-Platinum Silver-Since 5/28/10
Mechanical Engineer
Owner of http://www.theCollegeDriver.com
metatrox

I would probably just tolerate the beeping of the TPMS instead of spending that kinda money.
JDReichert

If you install wheels and not the TPMS sensors just have your dealer plug in to the computer port and turn the master "OFF". I'm sure this is possible on our cars, I know it works for BMW's and I think it is about the same system. Ask your tech. before you purchase wheels and tires.

Jerry Reichert 2010 SLS, 1977 Mercedes-Benz 280SL, 1983 BMW 633CSi
Zeid

Ok great. Now does anyone have recommendations for tires/rims? I was thinking General Altimax Arctic tires and steel rims like the Kizashi S, but can't find steel rims anywhere.
Suzuki Kizashi GTS AWD-Platinum Silver-Since 5/28/10
Mechanical Engineer
Owner of http://www.theCollegeDriver.com
Moto
Site Admin

I run a studded set of those on my Protege 5. Basically make packed snow and ice feel like blacktop. The only downside is I'm afraid of getting rear-ended now because I can stop so much faster than everyone else.
gaww

I know you know better than that based on where you live.

You always leave more room in front of you on wet or snowy days (especially if the driver behind you does not). Then you have extra room to stretch out your stop if you see the car behind you is closing too fast.
Moto
Site Admin

yeah, I have yet to hit anyone or get hit, but I have had some close calls. My commute is short, but there are a lot of stop lights on my road and the speed limit is 40 MPH. There is a fender bender almost every day near my apartment. If your stopped at a light and you get rear-ended there isn't much you can do. The first snow is always the worst for car accidents after that people seem to figure out how to dive on snow again.
JDReichert

I checked with the Suzuki dealer, Service tech., and he tells me they can NOT turn off the TPMS light on the dash. That is a mandated government requirement. The only other option would be to remove the bulb and who knows what that might trigger in the computer system. The dealer sells a new system in new wheels for $785.00 plus tax and will install them if you purchase the tires from them. I would just place a piece of tape over the light for the winter!!!!!!! LOL

Jerry - 2010 Kizashi SLS, 1977 Mercedes-Benz 280SL, 1983 BMW633CSi
metatrox

A piece on tint might suffice too. LOL