below zero cold starts

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
pakizzie2015

well here we are about to have the coldest mornings since winter began.. go figure . since my car stays outside and I have to leave early in the morning for work.. any suggestions on the starting process.. I would hate to push that button and it doesn't do anything.
DesRado

I know my dad used to use a trickle charger, that way at least the battery was strong enough to turn over the engine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP

Speed_Racer

Block heater?

If you have an automatic CVT, maybe remote start? My parents used to have one that would auto-start their car every few hours at night for a few minutes if the temperature got below a certain limit (like -10F).
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
pakizzie2015

I think for me I will set my alarm to wake me up a few times during the night to turn it over and run for about 10-15 minutes just to keep it some what warm. . my only option for now.
nytq

I don't see the point of any of that. If your battery is good, it should be able to handle the PA temps. I would say starting every few hours for only 10-15 minutes would not allow the battery enough time to fully charge and then you run the risk of not having enough juice in the morning when you really need it. Only in climates that have below zero averages do they use heaters.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
KuroNekko

nytq wrote:I don't see the point of any of that. If your battery is good, it should be able to handle the PA temps. I would say starting every few hours for only 10-15 minutes would not allow the battery enough time to fully charge and then you run the risk of not having enough juice in the morning when you really need it. Only in climates that have below zero averages do they use heaters.
I agree. A battery in good condition should start your car fine even in temperatures well below freezing. PA may be cold, but it's not cold enough to require significant measures to ensure cold starting.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
pakizzie2015

thanks guys. I will not do that then. I will just do the normal start in the morning . esp sunday morning that is suppose to be the worst of this cold snap..
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote:
nytq wrote:I don't see the point of any of that. If your battery is good, it should be able to handle the PA temps. I would say starting every few hours for only 10-15 minutes would not allow the battery enough time to fully charge and then you run the risk of not having enough juice in the morning when you really need it. Only in climates that have below zero averages do they use heaters.
I agree. A battery in good condition should start your car fine even in temperatures well below freezing. PA may be cold, but it's not cold enough to require significant measures to ensure cold starting.
X3
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
LPSISRL

Ahh the good old days. I'm from Minnesota and had a '69 Plymouth Fury III. It would sit out all night in -20 degree cold. Go out in the morning for school or work and it would crank twice and fire up like it was a summer day.

By the way, as current goes through the battery when it's cold, it will start to warm. As it starts to warm, it will provide more amps. One of the reasons the car cranks faster after it has turned over a few times. That combined with all the moving parts loosing up as it tries to move oil the viscosity of honey...
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
RedGeminiPA

I was told years ago to turn on the headlights for about 30 seconds to get the battery flowing before a very cold start. I'll admit I've never actually tried it.
2011 Sport GTS FWD CVT Nav
Altoona PA