The Kizashi is sensitive to oil quality

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
golftango

Now that I've logged 18K miles on my Kizashi and have experimented with various oils, here's my observation:

The Kizashi's 2.4 is very sensitive to the quality of oil. Dino oil is fine as long as it is a quality oil, however I suggest synethic.

My two local Suzuki authorized service centers (one Nissan, other Toyota) have done oil changes. Both used genuine Suzuki filters. After getting my oil changed at the Nissan dealer, I noticed lifter clatter right at startup for a few seconds. Oil level was fine. After a couple hundred miles of the clatter, I had the other dealer, Toyota one, do just an oil change leaving the filter in tact. The clatter when away. My conclusion was either the Nissan dealer used the wrong viscosity, or a crappy oil. However, read on.

I decided enough is enough and do my own changes with full synethic. When I was in Japan last April, I purchased 3 filters at a local Suzuki dealer. Full synethic oils were purchased at WalMart depending on what was available and on sale, all 5qt jugs.

My first change was done using Quaker State Full Syn and a Suzuki filter. No start-up clatter.

The second oil change I switched to Pennzoil Platinum Full Syn, Suzuki filter. The clatter reappeared at startup. I was surprised because A, full synethic, and B, Pennzoil is a quality oil. I lived with the start-up clatter for 4K miles.

This past weekend I went back to Quaker State Full Syn. I was out of Suzuki filters, so I grabbed a Bosch filter from WalMart. The clatter at start-up is gone.

So my only conclusion is that the 2.4 is hyper sensitive to the quality of the oil. Seems like a good oil keeps the top end nice and lubricated while some other oils do not.
Last edited by golftango on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Kia Optima EX Premium
Instagram: golftango
Ronzuki

Interesting...I'm using the spec weight (5W-20), factory recommended Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus synthetic in the Heep's 3.6l Pentastar engine with Mopar filters. If I don't drive it for several days in a row, I get chatter/clatter on startup, summer or winter. Haven't tried a different brand oil either and it's due for the 3rd oil change. Unfortunately I've already purchased a jug of the same Pennzoil stuff. This crap is as thin as water.

Been using spec weight (5W-30) Mobil1 EP in the Kiz for a long time now. Never had any clatter from it. Always smooth and quiet.
Last edited by Ronzuki on Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
WESHOOT2

Also interesting; with a cumulative 220K on my Kizashis, I've done every oil change at the dealer.
They use Suzuki filters, and I have no idea of the oil.
But I got no clatter........
KuroNekko

Odd that you got noise with Pennzoil Platinum. It's what I've been using almost exclusively for 4 years and it's given me no noise. I used Mobil 1 once and while that also didn't make odd start-up noises, it did burn up about .5 quarts more than normal between my oil change interval of roughly 7500 miles.
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is what I use in the Kizashi and it's great in my engine. I've tried Pennzoil Ultra in the past but can't seem to find it anymore sold in 5 quart jugs.
I've been using Mobil 1 or Bosch DistancePlus oil filters. I'll be trying out a K&N Performance Gold (the white one) at the next oil change which will be next weekend.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

golftango wrote:Now that I've logged 18K miles on my Kizashi and have experimented with various oils, here's my observation:

The Kizashi's 2.4 is very sensitive to the quality of oil. Dino oil is fine as long as it is a quality oil, however I suggest synethic.
You're concentrating on brand with no mention of the only important thing, weight. Were all of these the proper specification, 5W-30?
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
golftango

Woodie wrote: You're concentrating on brand with no mention of the only important thing, weight. Were all of these the proper specification, 5W-30?
Actually, I did mention weight when addressing the dealer oil changes.
My conclusion was either the Nissan dealer used the wrong viscosity, or a crappy oil. However, read on.
I use the correct weights on my DIY changes.
LPSISRL

I wonder, even though it appears to be oil, if it's really not the filters. I had clatter using K&N and Suzuki filters. I switched to Bosch and have never heard it again. I use several different brands of synthetic from the Wal-Mart private label to Castrol magnetic to Mobile 1 and several others. I change it every 5K miles. Try sticking with the Bosch filters. They must have a better check valve in them.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
golftango

LPSISRL wrote:I wonder, even though it appears to be oil, if it's really not the filters. I had clatter using K&N and Suzuki filters. I switched to Bosch and have never heard it again. I use several different brands of synthetic from the Wal-Mart private label to Castrol magnetic to Mobile 1 and several others. I change it every 5K miles. Try sticking with the Bosch filters. They must have a better check valve in them.
Interesting, may very well be. I didn't give it much thought as they were Suzuki filters. Maybe a couple didn't have very good anti-drainback valves. The Bosch Distance Plus filter seems very well built and is cheap @ $11 IMHO.

And I recommend Quaker State Full Syn oil. Seems to be getting excellent reviews on BITOG and was only $19.98 @ WalMart for 5qts.

EDIT: I now see it's $15.98 for 5qts on Walmart.com
KuroNekko

golftango wrote:
LPSISRL wrote:I wonder, even though it appears to be oil, if it's really not the filters. I had clatter using K&N and Suzuki filters. I switched to Bosch and have never heard it again. I use several different brands of synthetic from the Wal-Mart private label to Castrol magnetic to Mobile 1 and several others. I change it every 5K miles. Try sticking with the Bosch filters. They must have a better check valve in them.
Interesting, may very well be. I didn't give it much thought as they were Suzuki filters. Maybe a couple didn't have very good anti-drainback valves. The Bosch Distance Plus filter seems very well built and is cheap @ $11 IMHO.

And I recommend Quaker State Full Syn oil. Seems to be getting excellent reviews on BITOG and was only $19.98 @ WalMart for 5qts.

EDIT: I now see it's $15.98 for 5qts on Walmart.com
It seems that most quality synthetics generally get good reviews. I started using Pennzoil Platinum years ago after reading a lot of good reviews about it on BITOG. It seemed that most over-the-counter full synthetic motor oils had comparable quality, but some were a bit better than others in certain regards. I recall the only one not being regarded as "among the best" was Valvoline's SynPower due to it lacking some additive the others had, if I recall correctly. However, I like Valvoline's MaxLife High Mileage oils and use them in high mileage engines.

I feel that quality oil filters are more similar than not too. OEMs are generally highly regarded as well as most aftermarket ones such a Mobil 1, K&N, Bosch DistancePlus, Napa Gold, Wix, etc. About the only one everybody liked to shit on was Fram's "orange can". However, my info is about a decade old as I no longer really delve in the oil and filter discussions on BITOG.

Let us know if you find anymore good info. I have seen a few threads on there about the Kizashi a while ago but they weren't oil and filter related.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

LPSISRL wrote: I had clatter using K&N and Suzuki filters. I switched to Bosch and have never heard it again.
There are/were two different Suzuki p/n's for filters. The Made in Japan one and the Made in China one. I found this out after buying a bunch and one of them wouldn't even thread on to either the Kiz or the SX4...can't remember. Took them all back to the dealer and swapped for the Made in Japan ones which also cost more.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)