The Kizashi is sensitive to oil quality

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
SamirD

LPSISRL wrote:If you're getting clackity-clack on startup, try changing the oil filter to a different brand. I think drain-back from check valves is an issue with some filters. Noisy startups with K&N, quiet ones with Bosch.
Our car has had Mobile 1 (bought this way), genuine Suzuki, and now Amsoil. No difference. The oil seems to make more difference than the filter, but it's really the temperature that makes the most difference. At temperatures near zero, there's a lot more mechanical noise until it gets a bit warmed up (rpms drop to 1k).
Tom Kizzie

@kuronekko: i'm not keen on w20 its just recommended by my manual. 0w20 and 5w30 are both ok for -30 until +40 celcius. manual litterly says: recommended 0w20

and

0w20 is the best choice for fuel consumption and startup @ cold weather
:lol:
kizashi 6mt black
KuroNekko

Tom Kizzie wrote:@kuronekko: i'm not keen on w20 its just recommended by my manual. 0w20 and 5w30 are both ok for -30 until +40 celcius. manual litterly says: recommended 0w20

and

0w20 is the best choice for fuel consumption and startup @ cold weather
:lol:
Yes, I've heard that 0W-20 is recommended in other markets for the Kizashi which I find a bit odd. The manual for the USDM Kizashi clearly states that 5W-30 is the recommended weight. Not only that, it's on the engine specs placard underneath the hood where only the general optimal weight is listed. I personally wouldn't use 0W-20 unless in very cold temperatures like in Northern Canada, Russia, etc. While the lower viscosity may have nominal benefits in fuel consumption, the oil is likely not going to lubricate the engine as well as 5W-30 in the long run at normal operating temperatures or warmer weather. This then risks greater engine wear over the course of time.

I'm starting to wonder if Suzuki pushes the thicker 5W-30 in North America given our long powertrain warranty (7 years/100,000 miles) while promoting the thinner 0W-20 in other markets to boost the fuel economy (at least on paper) where people generally drive smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles.

All that being said, I'm personally much more keen on using synthetic oil than a particular oil weight for a driving condition. 5W-30 makes the most sense for my driving conditions and is among the easiest weights to find in the United States.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

I think you hit a good point on the 0-20 for fuel economy ratings vs anything else. I know a lot of the manufacturers that recommend the 0-20 really do this for the slightly extra mileage/power that it allows the same engine to make. I'll take protection over mileage any day though.
LPSISRL

SamirD wrote:
LPSISRL wrote:If you're getting clackity-clack on startup, try changing the oil filter to a different brand. I think drain-back from check valves is an issue with some filters. Noisy startups with K&N, quiet ones with Bosch.
Our car has had Mobile 1 (bought this way), genuine Suzuki, and now Amsoil. No difference. The oil seems to make more difference than the filter, but it's really the temperature that makes the most difference. At temperatures near zero, there's a lot more mechanical noise until it gets a bit warmed up (rpms drop to 1k).
Just for grins, try putting in a Bosch filter next oil change. I've never used a Mobile 1 filter so I can't speak to that. I didn't know Amsoil made oil filters. Also, did you know that our Kizashis take the same filter as the Camry?
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
SamirD

LPSISRL wrote:
SamirD wrote:
Just for grins, try putting in a Bosch filter next oil change. I've never used a Mobile 1 filter so I can't speak to that. I didn't know Amsoil made oil filters. Also, did you know that our Kizashis take the same filter as the Camry?
I might try it, but because the Amsoil filter is required for extended drains, it's going to be a while before I change the filter again. :mrgreen: