"downgrade" from nav-unit to rockford fosgate head unit

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
dslatsh

If ya wanna call it a downgrade, I got that unlimited plan from verizon and was thinking of using my phone as GPS from now on vs the kenwood unit and installing the OEM rockford fosgate head unit so maybe I can get a better sound out of the system. Has anyone ever done this and if so was it easy? Any wiring needing removed? I'm not really sure of the harness behind the unit if it's the same fit for the non-nav head unit or if they attached an additional harness to it for the kenwood. Main reason is we know the nav-unit doesn't work as well sound wise as the non-nav unit rockford head unit especially when it comes to the subwoofer control!
Firefly

Also - the Kenwood used RCA jacks although the RF amp could take line-levels. Not sure if the "RF" unit (was it a Kenwood piece anyway?) is wire line-level or not.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
SamirD

This would be interesting to see done. Our Kizashi neighbor (only 1 of 3 that I've ever seen in our area) has the regular RF system and she loves it. It definitely sounds louder than ours when she's parking next to us in the garage.
Firefly

SamirD wrote:This would be interesting to see done. Our Kizashi neighbor (only 1 of 3 that I've ever seen in our area) has the regular RF system and she loves it. It definitely sounds louder than ours when she's parking next to us in the garage.
That's the separate RF amp which is pushing out the power. I could be wrong but I don't think the head unit itself is anything special.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
SamirD

Firefly wrote:
SamirD wrote:This would be interesting to see done. Our Kizashi neighbor (only 1 of 3 that I've ever seen in our area) has the regular RF system and she loves it. It definitely sounds louder than ours when she's parking next to us in the garage.
That's the separate RF amp which is pushing out the power. I could be wrong but I don't think the head unit itself is anything special.
We also have the RF system, but with the factory Kenwood nav unit. Her still seems louder/better.
dslatsh

I think the rf head unit has different settings and controls than the Kenwood. I knew someone who had the rf headunit you.have subwoofer volume.controls and the rf settings like deep punch etc from what I understand.
chazyouwin

Next weekend I'm going to do an install of a Alpine ilx-207, replacing the yet-still-fine Rockford Fosgate head unit and keeping the RF amp/speakers. If I were going to start out fresh without the RF already installed, I'd probably be looking at RF amp and punch base brand new - I believe I've noticed a lot of models for sale at Crutchfield and Newegg. The RF head unit is fine with the Bluetooth but I'll get graphical Carplay control with the Alpine and do expect great sound because it is an Alpine. Also the RF is not Sirius-ready and I'm going to install the Sirius tuner in the Alpine's back, eliminating the wires for an outside Sirius unit.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.