kizashi gas mileage

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
cobie99

i basically like everything i read about the kizashi and truth be told, the 'low' mileage prob won't stop me from buying it but, and i may be off base here, but despite the car's heft, the mileage seems a bit low... guess i was expecting around 23/31 for this....what do u guys think?
Moto
Site Admin

Kizashi Mileage:
Official EPA Estimates
21/31 manual FWD with 16-inch wheels
20/29 manual FWD with 17/18-inch wheels
23/31 CVT FWD with 16-inch wheels
23/30 CVT FWD with 17/18-inch wheels
23/30 CVT AWD with 16-inch wheels
22/29 CVT AWD with 17/18-inch wheels

I think it all depends on how aggressive you are as a driver. I get about 21/31with my Mazda Protégé 5 and that has almost 50hp less. I’m a little surprised the mileage is as good as it is. I know some people where complaining about the SX4’s mileage which has similar numbers, but it really comes down to driving tendencies. Some people were getting 20 miles to the gallon and some were getting 34 on average. I don’t see much reason for this car to be any different.

Regardless, I have a feeling that this car is going to help fill a niche, and mileage really shouldn’t be a huge deciding factor for most buyers. The mileage is actually high for an AWD car. I like the idea of buying an all wheel drive car that I can actively turn off the AWD system and some of the safety features. I’ve always been a Subaru fan, but their cars are always on the expensive side for what you get. With the Kizashi the price range will be better, and it might even put the Subaru legacy and alike in their place.

I really hope the cult that is Subaru owners give this car a look if they are shopping for a new ride. As far as competing with the other Japanese and US auto makers Suzuki has most of the beat with features and warranty. I really think marketing might be this car’s downfall if it doesn’t make it.
Moto
Site Admin

:D Borrowed this of the Suzuki page.

All Current Kizashi Models Mileage
Attachments
KizashiMilageMPGChart copy.jpg
KizashiMilageMPGChart copy.jpg (77.91 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
Cherish

We've had our AWD SLS CVT for about 6 weeks, and depending on who drives it, me or my husband our Kizashi sees between 21-24 City and 27-35 Highway. Hubby's got a little bit of a steadier, heavier foot whereas I tend to accelerate with the terrain and drive with a lighter touch. As a result, I end up braking less than he does to moderate the speed.

So, the kind of driver you are and the kind of terrain you'll be driving makes a huge difference. That actual mpg display is helpful and can teach you how to get the most out of your car in terms of mileage.

I think if you live in a hilly place where about 70% of your driving will be city, or you drive the car as a SPORT sedan (as opposed to the sport SEDAN), expect to get 20-24 mpg.

Overall we've been happy with the Kizashi's economy. But then again, we traded into it from a Pickup Truck that topped out at 18.
Moto
Site Admin

It is always nice to see some real world numbers.

I think the dealer sold the only Kisashi in town :( (A good thing I suppose) Just when the ice was finally starting to melt. I'll probably have to wait for them to get another one now.
TOM JONES

Moto wrote:It is always nice to see some real world numbers.

I think the dealer sold the only Kisashi in town :( (A good thing I suppose) Just when the ice was finally starting to melt. I'll probably have to wait for them to get another one now.
Mine isn't broken in yet but I filled it up and put 110 miles city driving then took a 223 mile trip and had 330 miles on the car..I toped it off and it took 11 gallons which is 30 MPG..On the way home(highway mileage) the MPG indicator was telling me I'm getting 33 to 34 MPG on the highway and from the fuel I used I'm guessing it's right..No way did I expect this kind of gas mileage..Those MPG figures they are estimating are on the very low end..
DeepSea

After taking delivery of mine I made sure to check my MPG just to see how close it was, Mixed driving I get 25.5-26 MPG (as close to 50/50 city and highway as I could estimate) and Pure highway I have seen 32mpg on an average, this is based on 2 seperate fill ups. So all in all pretty decent for an SE AWD.
sunergo7

Hey guys! I just got my Kizashi GTS AWD and had never got into reading the manual yet. So far, Very Impressed!!! :o Just getting used to the CVT (still love the stick tho). Just one lazy question ;) , On the "fuel economy indicator" bar, will i save more gas if the bar goes up or down? :?:
Senegal

better mpg as the indicator moves to the right

55-60 mph on high way resulted up to 34-35mpg, SLS AWD off

city driving 20-22 with AWD off

70-80 mph on high way resulted in 30-31 mpg with AWD off

knowing that the trip montior is optimistic, deduct 1-2mpg from estimates.
Moto
Site Admin

Has anyone started doing anything to improve gas mileage? ie. swapped for a K&N filter or put in the piggy from road//race (I think it improves mileage slightly).

You'll have to let us know if you find anything. It is best to figure those things out when the car is fairly new so that you can benefit for a longer period of time.

I didn't bother to figure anything out on my protege 5 until I had owned the car for almost 4 years. Now I sort of kick myself for not doing it earlier. The K&N made maybe 1 mpg difference, but my old filter was quite dirty, and taking the roof rack off also added about 1.5 to .5 mpg depending on the wind and the speed I'm driving. Over a long period of time that starts to add up.