Kizashi Club

Your Kizashi Owners Club and Forum 

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
 #46969  by Triggerhappy
 Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:47 pm
Currently at 147,000 miles (237,000 km) and still on original CVT fluid. Next oil change will be for 15k oil change interval. I'll be the guinea pig.
 #47025  by FrankoLaMoya
 Fri May 04, 2018 3:44 pm
Triggerhappy wrote:Currently at 147,000 miles (237,000 km) and still on original CVT fluid. Next oil change will be for 15k oil change interval. I'll be the guinea pig.


Thanks for your input. That's pretty nice!! Now I really don't know what to do...lol I am thinking about selling it when it will be around 200 000 km therefore I think I will change the CVT fluid at 150 000 km
 #48467  by Akshat
 Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:05 pm
Hello! This is my first post here, I was not really surprised to find a club dedicated to the kizashi as I feel that it is an above average vehicle, which for idiopathic reasons, just didn't sell in the numbers it should have had.
That aside, I have a black CVT one(FWD), which has done close to a 100k miles. I have never changed the transmission fluid. I am a bit apprehensive about changing it now, as it runs the way it was bought, if not better. Is it mandatory to change it for it to last, or should I wait for some symptoms to indicate changing it?
 #48472  by n8dogg
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:04 am
Akshat wrote: Is it mandatory to change it for it to last, or should I wait for some symptoms to indicate changing it?

If you wait for it to have symptoms, it's probably too late. These CVTs are starting to fail and many of us who didn't change is sooner wished we had, now that we're learning more about them.
 #48473  by Ronzuki
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 am
n8dogg wrote: many of us who didn't change is sooner wished we had, now that we're learning more about them.


^^^^what he said^^^^
 #48477  by KuroNekko
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:33 am
Akshat wrote:Hello! This is my first post here, I was not really surprised to find a club dedicated to the kizashi as I feel that it is an above average vehicle, which for idiopathic reasons, just didn't sell in the numbers it should have had.
That aside, I have a black CVT one(FWD), which has done close to a 100k miles. I have never changed the transmission fluid. I am a bit apprehensive about changing it now, as it runs the way it was bought, if not better. Is it mandatory to change it for it to last, or should I wait for some symptoms to indicate changing it?


Welcome.
I think the other replies have made the general consensus rather clear.
The whole "lifelong" fluid claim that many automakers have pushed recently have been exposed to really mean "as long as we care for". A number of insiders like dealer mechanics have exposed that companies that state "lifelong" consider that to actually be 100,000 miles. Beyond that, automakers don't really care as their warranties would not cover the vehicle and profitability declines for that specific vehicle overall. However, it should be obvious that this is a problem given there are millions of people around the world that expect and depend on their cars to run long past reaching the six digit figure on the odometer. This is why many who want to keep their cars a long time are now reverting back to the scheduled maintenance they used to follow before these "lifelong" claims.

Here's another way to think of it: The Kizashi's CVT's fluid was considered "lifelong" fluid with no service interval. However, the manual transmission had a service interval at something like every 60K miles for the OE semi-synthetic gear oil and every 30K or so for any other. I'm using premium quality Red Line full synthetic gear oil in my manual transmission gearbox yet changing the fluid at least every 40K miles. Compared to a manual, an automatic is far more sophisticated and sensitive to everything from fluid condition, fluid amount, heat, and load. It makes no sense to me how then a CVT can have no service interval for fluid replacement yet a vastly more simple and durable manual trans has a shorter interval. While they obviously don't work the same way for an equal comparison, consider the fact that manual gearboxes seldom ever break for any car meanwhile CVTs are a leading cause of problems for cars with them.

I think if you replace the CVT fluid with the proper stuff and refill it to the correct level, you will extend the service life of your CVT.
 #48486  by Akshat
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:46 pm
KuroNekko wrote:
Akshat wrote:Hello! This is my first post here, I was not really surprised to find a club dedicated to the kizashi as I feel that it is an above average vehicle, which for idiopathic reasons, just didn't sell in the numbers it should have had.
That aside, I have a black CVT one(FWD), which has done close to a 100k miles. I have never changed the transmission fluid. I am a bit apprehensive about changing it now, as it runs the way it was bought, if not better. Is it mandatory to change it for it to last, or should I wait for some symptoms to indicate changing it?


Welcome.
I think the other replies have made the general consensus rather clear.
The whole "lifelong" fluid claim that many automakers have pushed recently have been exposed to really mean "as long as we care for". A number of insiders like dealer mechanics have exposed that companies that state "lifelong" consider that to actually be 100,000 miles. Beyond that, automakers don't really care as their warranties would not cover the vehicle and profitability declines for that specific vehicle overall. However, it should be obvious that this is a problem given there are millions of people around the world that expect and depend on their cars to run long past reaching the six digit figure on the odometer. This is why many who want to keep their cars a long time are now reverting back to the scheduled maintenance they used to follow before these "lifelong" claims.

Here's another way to think of it: The Kizashi's CVT's fluid was considered "lifelong" fluid with no service interval. However, the manual transmission had a service interval at something like every 60K miles for the OE semi-synthetic gear oil and every 30K or so for any other. I'm using premium quality Red Line full synthetic gear oil in my manual transmission gearbox yet changing the fluid at least every 40K miles. Compared to a manual, an automatic is far more sophisticated and sensitive to everything from fluid condition, fluid amount, heat, and load. It makes no sense to me how then a CVT can have no service interval for fluid replacement yet a vastly more simple and durable manual trans has a shorter interval. While they obviously don't work the same way for an equal comparison, consider the fact that manual gearboxes seldom ever break for any car meanwhile CVTs are a leading cause of problems for cars with them.

I think if you replace the CVT fluid with the proper stuff and refill it to the correct level, you will extend the service life of your CVT.

What you say definitely makes sense for me as my car has reached six figures, and it runs flawlessly with no squeaks and rattles, and I would like to run it till the wheels fall off.
In other thread I read you mentioning that the CVT has a very low tolerance for the fluid level and that the amount should not be more what ever happens.
So I've decided that I'll measure the drained fluid and put in only the amount that came out.
I feel a CVT flush would be more complicated and their would be more chances of something going wrong, so will just change the oil for now.
Now the main thing, what oil should I use? Nissan ns-2 is good?
 #48487  by WESHOOT2
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:07 pm
I have done all my fluid services, including CVT/ oil/ diffs, for all my Kizashis at the dealership that sold me my first, new, one.
They still have the same technicians from when I got the first. I trust them to have sufficient experience with my model.

So far they've been superb.

So, for the DIY folks, I still suggest CVT fluid services be done by someone experienced with the model.
 #48488  by OliverB
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:53 pm
WESHOOT2 wrote:I have done all my fluid services, including CVT/ oil/ diffs, for all my Kizashis at the dealership that sold me my first, new, one.
They still have the same technicians from when I got the first. I trust them to have sufficient experience with my model.

So far they've been superb.

So, for the DIY folks, I still suggest CVT fluid services be done by someone experienced with the model.

Info on that dealer?