2011 kizashi CVT

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
dslatsh

Has anyone had to get their firmware updated for their CVT? I was just curious if it's normal for the CVT to down this sort of a down shift when it hits around 20mph I thought I read somewhere it's a safety thing so the belt doesn't slip or something? I also thought i read about someone completely flushing their CVT and replacing it with redline no slip fluid and the downshift went away etc. ?
LPSISRL

If you have an early one, (2010 I think) there is a firmware update for the CVT. I believe the only way to tell is to take it to a service center where the TCM can be read and flashed if needed. I have a 2011 and did not need it updated.

Are you accelerating or slowing down on the "downshift" issue? It's normal for the CVT to change to a higher ratio very early when accelerating. Some refer to this as the "rubber band" effect. However, it's normal if you drive the CVT like any other automatic. (holding the throttle at at constant position when taking off) But the CVT is not a typical automatic. You have to learn to drive it by slowing giving it more throttle to keep the RPMs up. The will prevent the abrupt drop in engine RPM at about 20 MPH. The interesting thing is that if you actually watch your speed, your acceleration does not change when the engine speed drops, but the engine dropping RPMs makes it sound like it's sluggish.

HTH,
Tim
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
dslatsh

Yeah it's during acceleration, I know if you put it manual mode of course it gets rid of it, but I thought i read somewhere on here that someone did a complete flush of their CVT and the RPM dropped went away...