Hit and run

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KuroNekko

I'll be getting my third dash camera soon. In my experience with them, there are pros and cons to different types.
The main lesson I've learned is to avoid ones with Li-ion batteries which are many out there. The problem with Li-ion batteries is that they degrade quickly in high heat settings such as being left in a car in the summer. While dash cameras almost always operate while plugged into the car for power, batteries give it some flexibility in wireless viewing, temporary power cut-outs, etc. However, I've noticed that when the batteries go bad, the dash cam itself starts to get unreliable over time. My first dash camera is now totally inoperable due to complete battery failure. It won't power on even when plugged in.
My current one's battery is also now shot but the camera works when the car is turned on and the USB cable delivers power. However, it's not as reliable as it used to be and now isn't working well with the MicroSD card I used to use in it. I swapped it out for a smaller capacity card which works more reliably.

My main issue is that I'd like to keep the GPS function that my dash cameras have which is great for revealing vehicle speed and position. The video can also be synced with a map too in certain software to show routing. This makes it much more powerful evidence in court which I've used before for work. The problem thus far was that nearly all the models with GPS had Li-ion batteries built in. This then made them have a finite operating lifespan. I finally found a model with GPS that uses capacitors instead of Li-ion batteries. In fact, the manufacturer explicitly states it uses its "super capacitors" instead of Li-ion batteries to avoid heat-related degradation. It also has WIFI so it can send the clips to a smartphone for viewing and preservation. That would make things so much more convenient.

The rearview cameras are neat but for me, the GPS functionality is more imperative. Hence, I'll be getting a model with GPS and capacitors which narrows down the selection a lot.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
motosonic

DiggerDerrik wrote:
motosonic wrote:Damn, brother. That sucks bigtime. I feel for ya.
Based on what I've seen here, I need to get a dash cam. Yours seems pretty good. Great exposure in low light. Mind if I ask what it is?

That camera is a Rexing. I’ve had it for a few years. I also run the same camera in my work truck. It’s expensive and I don’t recommend getting it simply because of the price. Here’s the link

Rexing V1 Car Dash Cam 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170° Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording

I would look at getting something cheaper that includes a rear facing camera. Something like this.

GELOO 4.0 Inch Dual Lens Car Dash Cam Full HD 1080P Dashboard Camera 170 Degree Wide Angle Car Camera Recorder with WDR Enhance Night Vision, G-Sensor, Parking Mode, Motion Detection, Loop Recording

This is similar to what I have in my pickup. The only issue I have with it is the rear camera inverts the picture when you review it. So it looks like you’re driving on the left side of the road.

I’ve owned about 5 different kinds of dashcams. What I’ve found is they all use the same program to run. Sorta like how all most all PC’s use windows operating system. So the difference runs in the hardware and cost. Most all will max out at a 32 gig micro SD card which if you record in HD will max out at about 7 hours of recording before it starts recording over the older stuff. This time will go down if you have a rear camera. But those aren’t wide angle so they don’t take up as much storage.
Awesome info. Thank you! I don't know ANYONE else that has dash cams, except you and Kuronekko so far, so you both have provided me some great info. It's been something I've been kicking around for a while and your crash video really sealed the deal for me.