1.5 turbo Civic test drive

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Knightstruth

I am searching for my replacement for my Kizashi and decided to test drive the Honda civic turbo. I unfortunately was underwhelmed. Not because the Civic is a bad car but more because it did not feel like a better kiz. The model I drove was well appointed with lane warning and android car play, but it drive merely okay. Acceleration was just okay not making me feel cheated going back to my awd Kiz. the handling was also just okay. Maybe I am expecting too much but there just wasn't something making me want to buy it.

My original plans changed in what I was looking for because my wife and I decided that once our oldest goes to college (under 4 years) we would give him my next car to take with him. I then decided I wanted something fuel efficient nad safe. I also didn't want to spend too much money but I still wanted something I would at least enjoy for the short time I would have it. Pure electric was out, as well as any car that has average fuel economy. On my list was the civic turbo , accord hybrid, kia optima hybrid, sonata hybrid. I do want some type of performance and do not want some "10 second car". The kiz is a tough act to follow.
WESHOOT2

I sell Hondas; we got nuthin' to "replace" the Kizashi.

This is the true Kizashi-driver quandary; what can replace such a car?
KuroNekko

The Kizashi is a unique car that's hard to replace due to its characteristics at its price range. However, I really think a standard compact car like a Civic is not really a rival to the Kizashi. I'd go for the Accord or Mazda6. Both are considerably more fuel efficient than the Kizashi due to newer engine technologies without having to be hybrids. Yet, both are larger and more refined vehicles than compacts like the Civic. I'd also check out the all-new Subaru Impreza. Not sure about newer Imprezas, but my '95 didn't feel or drive like a compact car. It was much more planted and felt like you were driving something bigger and more confident on the road. In some ways, my Kizashi reminds me of my beloved Impreza coupe but it's larger with 4 doors, got way more features, and is a manual FWD instead of an auto with AWD. Despite those rather seemingly big differences, the Kizashi and Impreza "felt" more like each other than the '05 Mazda3 I owned between them. The Mazda3 was the most spirited one to drive with the best engine and transmission pairing in addition to great handling, but the rest of the car felt tinny and well, like an economy car like Civics, Corollas, and others I've driven.

The Kizashi is an odd car that lies between a compact and a midsize in a number of ways. In total size, it's more like a compact. The pricing on the used market is as such too. However, the refinement, NHV isolation, and standard features were more like a midsize car. The way it drives is certainly more like a midsize than a compact in my experience. All things considered, I'd have to say the car that seemed the most like it was the Acura TSX with the 4 cylinder which was actually the Accord for other markets. However, the TSX is also no longer available as it and the TL were discontinued and replaced by the less-acclaimed TLX.

A compact car that's actually getting great reviews right now is the new Chevy Cruze. From reliability to test ratings, it's scoring very well. Also consider that it can be had in a diesel that will probably average in the 40 MPG range. I have no idea about the way these new Cruzes drive, but from all I'm reading about them, I'd give one a test drive.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Knightstruth

Thank you for the great replies.

Weshoot could you tell me if the civic hatch drives significantly different then the sedan?

Kuro I hear you about the Cruze but I have a confession and that is I just am not into domestics. I know sounds irrational but I just don't see me having one in the garage. The reality is that I most likely would have to settle for a different type of car than the sports sedan Kizashi because there is not a true value competitor.

Although for reference the civic does not feel like an economy car. When optioned out it is a good value and deserves all its praise... well at least the turbo version. Imprezza is one of those 10 second cars to that is out. Mazda 6 and standard accord do not fall on the type of fuel economy I am looking for. If I would consider them I would put the 2016+ ILX on the list which for me is like a modern kiz (sporty and decent fuel economy). What I am looking for is roughly 0-60 times around/under 8, with fuel economy combined in the mid 30's. I have a 60 mile commute and it is a car I would keep for many years. If fuel economy wasn't a concern I would have just looked at used luxury sports sedans. I would love to find a good value plug-in optima but they are rare, and too new currently (not paying 35k for the privilege).
chazyouwin

I don't know the mileage figures for the new 2018 Buick Regal (U.S. branding of a German Opel), but if I were in the market to replace the Kizashi I would certainly go to a Buick dealer and test drive one. The base is going to list at about $2000 less than the 2017, or around $26,000. If you are amenable to spending closer to $40,000, you can do a V6 in the GS level. I thought the last version was similar to the Kizashi in shape and probably feel, at a higher asking price. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/buick/re ... ve-review/
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
golftango

For me it was the Accord Sport SE 6MT.

Coming from a FWD 6MT Kizashi S, it was the most logical. The Accord had a slick shifting 6MT, better than the Kizashi. It's quieter and roomier. What carried over was the simplicity. There's not a lot of tech in the Accord, something I appreciate. It's basic and has enough goodies to keep me happy, just like the Kizashi did.
2019 Kia Optima EX Premium
Instagram: golftango
WESHOOT2

Weshoot could you tell me if the civic hatch drives significantly different then the sedan?

The significance would be personal; I find them similar but still different. Both handle very 'flat'.

(I tested the Turbo AWD Regal a couple years ago; great handling and brakes, strong motor, but GM fer-crap interior).
KuroNekko

Knightstruth wrote: Kuro I hear you about the Cruze but I have a confession and that is I just am not into domestics. I know sounds irrational but I just don't see me having one in the garage.
Well, domestics have come a long way, especially with cars other than trucks and muscle cars which have been their focus for a long time. Also consider that many cars like the Cruze aren't exactly "domestics". The Cruze for example was actually engineered in South Korea by GM Korea which was formerly Daewoo (which has improved a lot recently). The same can be said of nearly all domestic small cars. They were designed by the domestic brands' European or Asian divisions by engineers in those countries.
I also don't like avoiding a brand for a past stigma because it prevents one from discovering their improvements since. We all know part of why the Kizashi, and Suzuki in general, failed was because they couldn't get out of the stigma of making cheap and low-quality products. From the Samurai roll-over scandal to the sub-par Suzuki-branded Korean cars, it seemed that most Americans wrote off Suzuki by the time the Kizashi came around. The Kizashi was a good car, but very few even cared by that point.
Hence, I don't necessarily like doing that to other brands unless there is a good amount of data showing that the product is crap. To me personally, GM and Ford have come along way and GM seems to have improved on reliability. Same for Korean brands like KIA and Hyundai.
At this point, I'd look into GM cars like the Cruze and Volt for economy and Camaro for performance. I'm also liking the idea of the upcoming Equinox which will be offered with a diesel. That will be a decently-sized CUV with AWD getting a combined MPG in the low to mid 30's.
Knightstruth wrote: What I am looking for is roughly 0-60 times around/under 8, with fuel economy combined in the mid 30's. I have a 60 mile commute and it is a car I would keep for many years.
I think finding fuel economy like that will be very difficult unless you go for a hybrid or a diesel. However, most of these aren't known for their sporty driving or strong performance. They also cost more than their conventional gasoline counterparts. This is why sometimes expanding your brand horizons may surprise you that some of the best cars for your purpose may be from a brand or type you weren't considering. Even among hybrids, both the Chevy Volt and the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid meet those requirements and probably weren't vehicles you considered.

On the discussion about the new Regal, I do like it too. One of the versions (TourX) looks like an upscale competitor to a Subaru Outback, but being designed and built in Germany, will probably be closer to an VW Alltrack or Audi Allroad in many ways. For example, the Regals will not use CVTs and will also use forced induction, making them way better to drive than an Outback.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Knightstruth

I'm looking to hand this car over to my step-son for college and I want something I won't hate to drive either. I will still stay away from domestics as I haven't found many of them attractive and the reliability of some of them is not good. I have resigned myself to the fact that my next car won't be as sporty as the kizashi and that is okay. I want a car to last many years and want very good fuel economy so that is why I am looking mainly at hybrids. When my stepson leaves for college I will look into the tesla hoping it is reliable enough because that seems like my ideal car. If fuel economy was not my main goal, I would go for the Nissan maxima and Acura ILX as both those are quick, sporty and can be found cheap. FYI I'm an auto adjustor so I am aware of the different car values.
Attachments
This pic is from a tour of our salvage yard.
This pic is from a tour of our salvage yard.
IMG_20170816_114657204.jpg (464.13 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
Triggerhappy

Knightstruth wrote:I'm looking to hand this car over to my step-son for college and I want something I won't hate to drive either. I will still stay away from domestics as I haven't found many of them attractive and the reliability of some of them is not good. I have resigned myself to the fact that my next car won't be as sporty as the kizashi and that is okay. I want a car to last many years and want very good fuel economy so that is why I am looking mainly at hybrids. When my stepson leaves for college I will look into the tesla hoping it is reliable enough because that seems like my ideal car. If fuel economy was not my main goal, I would go for the Nissan maxima and Acura ILX as both those are quick, sporty and can be found cheap. FYI I'm an auto adjustor so I am aware of the different car values.
I know a car you should consider, the 2018 Camry Hybrid LE or SE. It gets about 50mpg and 0 to 60 in less than 8 seconds. Good thing about the new model is the trunk capacity is the same as the non hybrid, 15 cu ft and you can fold the seats down. This would be my next car, but I just bought a 2017 Sonata Limited for about $12,000 off sticker.
152k miles - niece drives it now
2017 Prius Prime - about 65 mpg factoring in electricity cost
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - wife's