TPMS sensors- $45? No, but $50 each!

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
sloopercat

http://www.tpmswholesalers.com/BuyersGuide.aspx. Same as Chrysler units.

Wonder if this is too good to be true? TireRack says $175 each.

Another source listing a mid $40 price: http://revolutionsupply.com/

Called Rudy at the TireRack. He did some checking, dealer part is $182 and their price is $175 per wheel. He went back and asked some questions and the best he could determine is that these are the same frequency as others, but may not be the same information transmitted. He checked with his "experts", said it was analagous to two 900mhz phones not talking to the same base station from different manufacturers. But he was far from definitive.

Just heard back from the TireRack. They did some deeper diving and found some non-OEM, but still Continental sensors for $50 each. Great news, now I will get the snows mounted to the OEM rims and save the mount and dismount hassles.
rjc1976

That's awesome news. Thank you very much for sharing!
Hawkzilla

I was under the impression that you could use the sensors that are currently on your wheels... just swap them out. If so, why would you buy a new set? My shop told me they swap em out for free when you get new tires mounted.
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic
TheHolyGhost

Aren't they inside your tires? Most people probably don't want to have to unmount their tires to have the sensors installed on their winter steelies. It's easier if it's a one time thing and you just swap the wheels.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
Hawkzilla

If it were me I would put snow tires on my current wheels and swap out the sensors. I have better things to drop $300 on. 8-)

BTW, tirerack.com has a set of snow tires on sale that fit the Kiz. I have the AWD, so I'm not sweating the snow. lol
sloopercat

I have the OEM rims I was going to use as snow rims. The reason to invest in the sensors is simple. Having to mount and balance 4 tires is $80. These things are fragile and require a $10 kit to reinstall them each time, per wheel. They pay for themselves in one time of having to dismount the current rims and move the sensors between. Mount and dismounting a tire repeatedly is not good for the tire. This way I also gain the flex of being able to put on the snows at will and the opposite in the spring. Saves a lot of hassle not having to transport tires/wheels back and forth twice a year. When I sell the car I can easily recover most of the $$ spent on the sensors.
TheHolyGhost

Some people don't want to risk ruining their wheels on torn up roads during the winter.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
Hawkzilla

I'm never moving to where you people live. lol

AWD on a compact car = no need for snow tires, IMO. I lived with a guy that had a Suburu WRX AWD and that thing got around like a snowmobile even in the worst conditions.
gaww

Hawkzilla wrote:I'm never moving to where you people live. lol

AWD on a compact car = no need for snow tires, IMO. I lived with a guy that had a Suburu WRX AWD and that thing got around like a snowmobile even in the worst conditions.
True if they are decent M&S rated all year tires. I have seen M&S on the sidewalls of some tires with very little "open" tread which probably would make very good skis but not so good otherwise in the snow.
TheHolyGhost

Haha Hawk. I've never had a problem with either of my AWD cars in the snow before either, but I'm don't live in Buffalo, either.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES