114 Days: Pt III (3rd time's a charm)

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
bdleonard

WESHOOT2 wrote:.....and there's a CVT TSB floating around here on the forum somewhere with specifics.......
Here's a TSB on the change procedure (in my 2nd post):
viewtopic.php?t=4337

For the 2010 / 2011 CVT cars, there is another TSB that may be relevant:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3687

2010 (service campaign SF) and 2012 (service campain SQ) cars also may have a CVT TCM recall for a programming update available
Ronzuki

Yes, I've see the TSB w/ the specifics regarding hooking up to the car and monitoring trans temp for level checking and all that... if that's the one you're referring to. Question is, is that exactly what your guys are doing or something else, less involved and getting away with it? There are many methods floating around here and elsewhere. My concern is most won't post up saying they did method x, y or z and 10,000 miles down the road the CVT crapped out.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
bdleonard

Ronzuki wrote:Yes, I've see the TSB w/ the specifics regarding hooking up to the car and monitoring trans temp for level checking and all that... if that's the one you're referring to. Question is, is that exactly what your guys are doing or something else, less involved and getting away with it? There are many methods floating around here and elsewhere. My concern is most won't post up saying they did method x, y or z and 10,000 miles down the road the CVT crapped out.
If you believe your CVT fluid level is currently correct, you can do an easy(-ish) drain and fill. Place the car and your new CVT fluid in the same space (ideally, a garage), and allow them both to reach room temperature. Drain the CVT fluid in to a clean dry empty container by removing the CVT drain plug, and measure the amount of fluid drained. Add that amount of new CVT fluid back to the transmission.

If you go this route, the important bit is making sure that the fluid that you measure, and the fluid that you add are the same temperature, as the volume of the fluid varies a notable amount as the temperature changes. In my experience, this will take around 4 quarts (possibly a bit more, possibly a bit less) depending on temp and how long you let it drain. This replaces a bit less than half of the fluid in the system.

The Suzuki TSB recommends repeating the drain and fill 3 times (running for a bit in between) in order to get a "full" change (by my math you'll have about 70-80% new fluid at the end of that procedure).
Ronzuki

This is likely the route I'm going to take. It is logical to me given the fact I have no way of communicating with the car. Changing out 50-70% of the fluid with fresh is better than nothing. I do have the luxury of a garage to let everything sit in and get acclimated, and, I have another vehicle to drive while the K is down. I also want to change that filter element on the return line side.
I wonder how much 'spillage volume' occurs when the line is disconnected and that housing is opened up to access that particular element.
Ron

WESHOOT2

My 'Suzuki' dealer does mine.

Ronzuki

WESHOOT2 wrote:My 'Suzuki' dealer does mine.
I recall you mentioning that when you had it done previously and am curious about their exact methodology.
Ron

WESHOOT2

I am only intellectually curious, as I otherwise don't care.
Just to know it's been done......

Gas mileage hovers around the 27MPG average, just like the other two.
Fun remains similar, too.

WESHOOT2

I'm all giddy with anticipation; tomorrow the Kizsmashy is getting new CVT fluid and an oil change.
Wonder if the whine will change.

Aug 19, Mt Washington!

FUN FACTS:
-2,792 days of Tim's Kizashi ownership
-295,646 Kizashi-miles
-average 105.89 Kizashi-miles per day

bdleonard

Be sure to have them check your VIN to see if the CVT controller (TCM) recall applies to your 2013. The high pressure condition caused by the failure will make it whine constantly, and can overheat and eventually damage the transmission too.
WESHOOT2 wrote:I'm all giddy with anticipation; tomorrow the Kizsmashy is getting new CVT fluid and an oil change.
Wonder if the whine will change.

Aug 19, Mt Washington!

FUN FACTS:
-2,792 days of Tim's Kizashi ownership
-295,646 Kizashi-miles
-average 105.89 Kizashi-miles per day

WESHOOT2

8/15/1863,680 miles, had my oil and CVT fluids replaced.

Well.
The whine is completely gone.
I tested. Hard.
Cool.