Hello all. Considering buying a Kizashi

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
ACobra289

Hi all.

I am looking at an ice blue 2011 SLS AWD with auto trans. It has 123,000 miles. Overall it seems to be in pretty good condition.

Anything in particular I should be aware of? I would appreciate any thoughts on these cars as I don't know much about Suzukis.

I live in the US and I've heard parts can be a bit hard to come by.

Thanks,
Bill
KuroNekko

ACobra289 wrote:Hi all.

I am looking at an ice blue 2011 SLS AWD with auto trans. It has 123,000 miles. Overall it seems to be in pretty good condition.

Anything in particular I should be aware of? I would appreciate any thoughts on these cars as I don't know much about Suzukis.

I live in the US and I've heard parts can be a bit hard to come by.

Thanks,
Bill
Hi and welcome.
The Kizashi is a solid choice for a used car as it offers great value, safety, driving dynamics, and more. However, Suzuki left the US in 2012 so support is limited. That being said, it's not too hard to get parts and service but it's definitely harder than say a Toyota or Ford.

As for a Kizashi of that mileage, the most vulnerable part is the CVT which is the type of automatic transmission it has. The Continuously Variable Transmission isn't prone to failures in this car but these CVTs tend to be the most problematic part of just about any vehicle with them, especially at higher mileage. At over 100K miles, you'll want to make sure that proper servicing was done and that the CVT operates smoothly and without whining.

Another issue to look out for concerns the rear shocks. The Kizashi had faulty rear shock bump stoppers that promoted premature corrosion of the rear shocks. Suzuki revised the bump stoppers to help prevent this issue but you'll want to make sure the rear shocks weren't compromised with the older part. I also have a 2011 model year Kizashi and mine had rear shock issues due to this problem. I got new rear shocks and the revised bump stoppers covered under warranty.

The fuel economy isn't great compared to today's models but is on par for vehicles of that generation (around 2010) and the Kizashi is available with AWD. You can expect an average of 24 MPG which is the EPA average for most Kizashi trims and what Fuelly states Kizashi owners average in real usage. I average this too. Easy driving on the freeway can yield over 30 MPG if you keep speeds under 75 MPH.

Lastly, the headlight bulbs are a pain in the ass. They actually require the front bumper and headlights to come off for replacement in most cases. I've personally upgraded my bulbs to HIDs and LEDs so I don't deal with the shorter lifespan of halogen bulbs.

Other than these issues to look out for, the Kizashi is a reliable vehicle that's rewarding to drive and own. In case you aren't aware, a Sport SLS with AWD would be the top trim for the US market so it's the fully-loaded model. I think the ice blue looks spectacular on the Kizashi as well.

While it seems like I pointed out a lot of negative things about the Kizashi, I'm just being honest of some of the setbacks. However, the pros definitely outweigh the cons of this car and most owners like the car a lot. The professional reviews of the Kizashi are nearly all positive and the car was critically acclaimed.

Make sure to get a good deal given the orphan status of Suzuki vehicles and their lack of popularity. However, you should find that the car itself is a hidden gem.

Good luck.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bdleonard

All of the general service and maintenance parts you might need (filters, fluids, brakes, spark plugs, shocks, struts, etc.) are readily available in the aftermarket at reasonable prices. Some which are specific to the Kizashi (shocks, struts, brake rotors) may not be stocked at your local auto parts store, but can be readily ordered. If you end up needing interior or exterior body / trim / accessory parts your best bet is going to be used from ebay or a local auto salvage dealer. OEM parts can still be readily ordered from Suzuki, but are expensive and are not likely to arrive very quickly.

I would suggest you look up where your nearest authorized service center is located to determine how far you might need to take it for any recall work. There are 2 existing recalls for that year, one to replace a fuel vent that can become clogged by debris (namely spider webbing) and another for the CVT shift lever. Both have been out for some time and may already have been performed, which the service center should be able to look up for you. You can look up your nearest service center here: http://www.suzukiauto.com/Service%20Provider.aspx
motosonic

I Echo all of the comments posted above. It seems like a lot of negatives but trust me I'm on my second Kizashi and I absolutely love these cars. If there was any way for me to get one of its brother cars from Europe over here to the US I would do so in a heartbeat. They're solid reliable they drive great they get decent gas mileage and they're relatively trouble free. You can't go wrong with one of these cars. you just have to be patient with getting parts and know that in some cases they may be a tiny bit more expensive than you could get elsewhere but as other said it's still reasonable. If you're not able to work on the car yourself like I am, it might be difficult to find a mechanic that's willing to work on it I had a little bit of trouble myself but I did end up finding a guy and it's fantastic.
ACobra289

I appreciate those taking the time to respond. That is great information to have. The car is actually going to be for my son.

I'm not sure if all of the service and recalls were done. When I looked the car over, I didn't see any service records. For the money, it has a ton of options and seems to be a good value. And I do like the AWD. As for the CVT whine, will it do it in both 2WD and AWD? I didn't pay attention on the short test drive which mode it was in.

There is currently a Suzuki service center in my town, so that is a plus.

Thanks again for the help.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post some pics later today when I get home.
Ronzuki

Yes, it'll whine all the time. AWD on or off has zero to do with anything whinning. Everything in the car relating to the drivetrain components are always spinning as the car goes down the road. The 'button' simply enables the computers to control the viscous coupling, transmitting power/torque from the always rotating rear drive shaft to the rear differential.

Anywhoo...the trans will whine more when it's very hot outside and/or after it has been romped on hard, heating up the trans and fluid further. Mine whines more/louder under both those circumstances. It is what it is at nearly 80k miles. While I'm not WESHOOT, I have days when I'm not very nice at all to the car and run it hard. Purchase the car as cheap as possible and run it until it doesn't. Solid vehicle and my all-time favorite car ever purchased.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
ACobra289

Here are a few pics. I don't know if price talk is allowed, but I'm curious what most of you think would be a fair price. Assuming the CVT doesn't have any issues.

KuroNekko

ACobra289 wrote:Here are a few pics. I don't know if price talk is allowed, but I'm curious what most of you think would be a fair price. Assuming the CVT doesn't have any issues.
Any talk about the Kizashi is welcomed here, including price.
It looks like it's in great condition and the previous owner(s) took care of it. The "Kizashi" badges on the doors are not original so it looks like the previous owner really liked the car enough to have added those. You're also lucky that the hood has that deflector. I have one too and that really helps protect the hood from chips given the Kizashi has thin and soft paint that chips easily. How's the interior and engine bay looking? Check the fluids and their condition. What color is the coolant in the radiator and overflow? The original coolant is Super Blue so if it's green now, it likely means the original coolant was flushed (due at 90K miles). You'll also want to check all the other fluids like the engine oil, CVT fluid, and brake fluid. The Kizashi has an electronic steering rack so no power steering fluid to be found.

As for price, it's really only worth several thousand given the high mileage and the status of Suzuki in the US. What is their asking price? Did you get a car history report for it like Carfax? That may reveal any major repairs and accidents which affect price.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
LPSISRL

Nice looking car. I do like the Kizashi decals. First thing I noticed. You'll find the forum here very friendly and informative. A great bunch of guys, always civil no matter the topic. For a 2011 SLS with almost 125K on it I'd push for 5K. You may not get it but typically dealers don't know what they have. What is the dealer asking?
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
ACobra289

He is asking $6880.00.