Hello all. Considering buying a Kizashi

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Ronzuki

Good to know a 'new' one solves the problem (for how ever long they may be available).

I'd still like to know what his outcome was with the service center. If it was because of the used part, then the "Suzuki service center" should have been able to inform him of that without going through all of the nonsense that took weeks w/ software tokens and comm connections to the car, right? That's my point. Excessive expense, time, aggravation, frustration. Those things need to be reflected in the purchase price paid for the car. No different then it being dinged up or having excessive mileage...price takes a big hit. Orphaned, (abandoned), price takes a big hit. Again, exceptional car if you already own one, nothing to lose by running it into the ground. To pay whatever over-inflated price some used car peddler is asking...nope.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote: As I said, I'm one of the biggest zuk fans around, but they pulled out of here and left us all hanging, right or wrong, and that fact carries a huge negative impact on the value of the modern Suzuki auto. Hence why so many, foolishly, bailed early on their ownership.
Yeah, I recall the number of people who offloaded their Kizashis (and I'm sure other Suzuki cars) when Suzuki announced their exit from the US and Canada. Some explained it made no sense to make payments on a car losing value at a steep rate. That was something I completely agreed with but I owned my car so didn't have the same concern.
Others feared the lack of parts and service which I didn't quite see as a concern. I guess it depends on the person. For me, the Kizashi was the very first car I bought with a warranty and I've also been doing my own repairs and maintenance on my used cars for a while. Therefore, I didn't really care for dealership support given I hardly used it in the past for any of my previous vehicles. This is why I'm picky about my cars and gravitate towards vehicles with good reliability and longevity.

I agree that the Kizashi or any Suzuki auto can't command high prices. They are only worth bargain prices so they should be bought for such. However, this very factor makes them rather hidden gems. The Kizashi is quite a nice car for the money.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bdleonard

I have a full functional factory tool sitting on my dining room table that cost me under $200 to put together. It can probably be done for less than that: viewtopic.php?t=4333

The only thing I know I cannot do with it is keyfob programming, as that requires additional dongle hardware for the SDT2. However, I know there are tools available to locksmiths that can do that even if Suzuki service support goes away:

Ronzuki wrote: I Completely disagree w/ this statement. No one is, or will be, capable of dealing with any of the electronic malfunctions with our cars. Proven in a thread here from a fellow who has not reported back as to the outcome of his very long, frustrating expensive attempts to resolve his steering lock issue. Last report, he'd taken it to the best ex-zuk service center around here. No joy, and the fact he hasn't responded here indicates to me it didn't go well. Mind you, all the service center has is a direct line to Suzuki and maybe the Suzuki diag hardware lying around in a corner gathering dust. The factory trained mechanics who know how to use it, that any certified dealership is required to maintain by the manufacturer, are all long gone. Due to orphaned status, the 'service center' is just as much in the dark (baffled) as any other 'mechanics' would be struggling with the unique computer techno BS proprietary to the car.

The usual... brakes, tires, oil changes, alignments, body repairs...sure not technically unique. Anything requiring programming, flashing, pairing...very much unique (by design), and, nearly impossible to deal with w/o access to, and knowledge of, functioning Suzuki diagnostic tools and software.
Ronzuki

I get that you have cobbled together a means to talk to the car and examine its inner workings. I do applaud you and your success in that regard. You are among the .01%-ers of car owners. And a true enthusiast. My enthusiasm ship of that sort sailed when I sold the Samurai last year. It wasn't a techno marvel, it was a mechanical marvel...big difference in my mind anyway.

However, when some average guy, like the OP here, is looking to buy a used modern Suzuki, ownership could be a potential problem involving time, money and aggravation should an issue arise. There are at least a couple threads floating around where folks have lost use of their vehicles for a month or more for seemingly minor problems. Finding another means of transportation in those cases costs $$. The vast majority of people, including myself anymore, are not interested in solving the Rubrics cube of automotive technological whizz-bangery just to go to and fro daily. Suppose, in the case of many older vehicles, it's not the key FOB itself that goes bad and it's the vehicle transponder? Then what? The locksmith will tell you to take it to a dealer. You replace it yourself...will it just start functioning? Who knows. Then what? Ask me how I know about that one in a keyed ignition system. A key FOB in a keyless start ignition system is pretty important stuff wouldn't you say? Without them...dead, useless car. I believe there was a guy posted up on here that exact scenario, he somehow managed to lose both FOBs (that's another issue itself). However, it's a problem for him at this point in Suzuki service time. Knowing these facts, the price of a used modern Suzuki would be reflective of the risks associated w/ ownership. Especially a low volume no longer in production Kizashi.
Ron

bdleonard

My point is not to imply that I have some special awesome ability. Its is to make the point that even if the service network goes away at some point in the future, people can still diagnose and repair our cars. That's why I specifically linked to a video about programming fobs (from 0) to the key-less module, with a non factory tool available to locksmiths. The tools are available, the software is available, the service info is available.

The wireless transponder / keyless start module module goes bad? Acquire another module (new or used), plug it in (it lives under the driver's side of the dash), have a locksmith (or the service center) with the proper software tools program your fobs to it. That's it. The car isn't magic.
Ronzuki wrote:I get that you have cobbled together a means to talk to the car and examine its inner workings. I do applaud you and your success in that regard. You are among the .01%-ers of car owners. And a true enthusiast. My enthusiasm ship of that sort sailed when I sold the Samurai last year. It wasn't a techno marvel, it was a mechanical marvel...big difference in my mind anyway.

However, when some average guy, like the OP here, is looking to buy a used modern Suzuki, ownership could be a potential problem involving time, money and aggravation should an issue arise. There are at least a couple threads floating around where folks have lost use of their vehicles for a month or more for seemingly minor problems. Finding another means of transportation in those cases costs $$. The vast majority of people, including myself anymore, are not interested in solving the Rubrics cube of automotive technological whizz-bangery just to go to and fro daily. Suppose, in the case of many older vehicles, it's not the key FOB itself that goes bad and it's the vehicle transponder? Then what? The locksmith will tell you to take it to a dealer. You replace it yourself...will it just start functioning? Who knows. Then what? Ask me how I know about that one in a keyed ignition system. A key FOB in a keyless start ignition system is pretty important stuff wouldn't you say? Without them...dead, useless car. I believe there was a guy posted up on here that exact scenario, he somehow managed to lose both FOBs (that's another issue itself). However, it's a problem for him at this point in Suzuki service time. Knowing these facts, the price of a used modern Suzuki would be reflective of the risks associated w/ ownership. Especially a low volume no longer in production Kizashi.
Ronzuki

I completely understand your point, believe me. You had the where-with-all and enthusiasm to be preemptive and do what you did. To you it's no big deal. Me, I don't have the desire...it's what I do for a living, basically, and don't want to have come home and deal with the same baloney. I want to get in it and drive it, period. I do all my own 'typical' maintenance as most here probably do.

Again, for the average owner, he/she is going to have to completely rely on 'other people' to solve any issues. Expensive 'other people' who may or may not be as talented and inclined as you are. If one is lucky, an honest and trust-worthy individual or shop. That's all I'm saying. How much would you want to pay a someone to essentially equip and educate themselves to maybe solve what ever issue arises with your rare (super low volume) orphaned car? There's the risk. Kuro is absolutely correct, it is a hidden gem, but, it must be had at bargain basement prices to offset inherent risk.
Ron

WESHOOT2

I want to get in it and drive it, period

This is me.

:drive:
bdleonard

I just want to repeat that my point isn't that I can do it, it's that any person or technician can do it. Given the minimal amount of maintenance our cars require, it's not likely to be significant. I'm not saying anyone should pay a premium for a Kizashi. While I'm a fan, I agree that there are a number of potential (and actual) issues.
Ronzuki wrote:I completely understand your point, believe me. You had the where-with-all and enthusiasm to be preemptive and do what you did. To you it's no big deal. Me, I don't have the desire...it's what I do for a living, basically, and don't want to have come home and deal with the same baloney. I want to get in it and drive it, period. I do all my own 'typical' maintenance as most here probably do.

Again, for the average owner, he/she is going to have to completely rely on 'other people' to solve any issues. Expensive 'other people' who may or may not be as talented and inclined as you are. If one is lucky, an honest and trust-worthy individual or shop. That's all I'm saying. How much would you want to pay a someone to essentially equip and educate themselves to maybe solve what ever issue arises with your rare (super low volume) orphaned car? There's the risk. Kuro is absolutely correct, it is a hidden gem, but, it must be had at bargain basement prices to offset inherent risk.