Hello all. Considering buying a Kizashi

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Ronzuki

"Features" in general (differences between SLS and GTS), add very little to any used car trade-in value given when you look up any vehicle's TMV on many sites. Therefore, 'features' offer very little in retail resale value in my world. Age, mileage and condition are the three biggie factors, and, what I negotiate from, trading or buying. Condition, in this case, is greatly affected (negatively) by the simple fact of the car being an orphaned brand, period. Much risk in purchasing it. Price must reflect that risk. As I said earlier. I'd do the 5k cash or walk away routine. We here all know the exceptional value the car is. Chances are the guy selling it doesn't know or care. He knows what he paid (very little), and how much ridiculous money he wants to put in his pocket. Again, if you like the car enough then that's what's ultimately going to determine how much you want to pay, knowing what you know via this forum/thread. Dealer's asking price is, virtually, irrelevant. Always approach a car purchase with one thing in mind...they need your money (and as much as possible) far greater than you need their car.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
WESHOOT2

Always approach a car purchase with one thing in mind...they need your money (and as much as possible) far greater than you need their car.

"That's not entirely true...." :mrgreen:
Ronzuki

Maybe so. ;) My experiences indicate far more true than not...including the recent purchase of the CX5. 'Best and final' numbers varied wildly. I can send you the spreadsheet of the vehicle pricing from that effort if you are in doubt.

Not just picking on cars either, it's really that way with just about everything major including components we specify in quotes at work. I spend more time than I should have to obtaining reasonable pricing for components in order that I can quote a job and stand a chance of wining it. Components make up better than 65% of the entire cost of an average project. Therefore cutting 15-20% off those price makes a huge difference in the sell price of a job.

I approach car purchases the same way. It's simply a component I need to transport myself around. There are many places to buy and many to chose from.
Ron

KuroNekko

The Kizashi is a great car but in awful circumstances. It's really something one should buy for a huge discount over segment rivals. I got mine for a very good deal even back in 2012 before Suzuki announced their pull-out from the US. The brand and car were unpopular so the Hyundai/Subaru dealer wanted to move what was an obvious trade-in.

Today, the car should be priced and bought considerably lower than rivals of the same age and mileage due to the orphan status. It's not an inferior car but one should really get a Kizashi for a good deal given the dismal resale value.
Considering that the Kizashi is a technically good car with poor resale value, it's wisest to drive the Kizashi for as long as possible to maximize its value as a purchase.
While I really wished the Kizashi and Suzuki did better, I don't regret buying the car at all. It's treated me well and I enjoy driving it. Not all cars deliver this sort of satisfaction for such a bargain price.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
ag143145

I see many people saying about the orphaned status. Would you say the biggest con to the car is the resale value or trying to find parts/getting it repaired?
KuroNekko

ag143145 wrote:I see many people saying about the orphaned status. Would you say the biggest con to the car is the resale value or trying to find parts/getting it repaired?
Resale value for sure.
Parts aren't impossible to find if you know where to look. There are a few threads dedicated to new OE part sites on this forum. If anything, it's the Suzuki accessories like the roof racks that are so hard to find now. Also, all maintenance items are easily attainable as they are universal for the most part. You can easily service this car with things you can get at any auto parts store.

As for service, the Kizashi isn't technically unique so it's not something that will baffle a mechanic. It's comparable mechanically to a Honda or Toyota of the same generation. You can also look up Authorized Suzuki Service Locations with a location finder on Suzuki's website.

In my experience owning my Kizashi for nearly 6 years, I've had to take it into a Suzuki dealership twice total. Once for a warranty repair back in 2013 and the other for a recall a little while later. That's it. Other than wheel alignments, I've been doing everything else myself which has been normal maintenance.

Again, the resale value is low, but if you plan to buy the car for cheap and then keep it a very long time, the poor resale value can work in your favor. Get it for cheap because of the low resale value and then just enjoy the high intrinsic value of the car for as long as possible.
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote: As for service, the Kizashi isn't technically unique so it's not something that will baffle a mechanic. It's comparable mechanically to a Honda or Toyota of the same generation. You can also look up Authorized Suzuki Service Locations with a location finder on Suzuki's website.
I Completely disagree w/ this statement. No one is, or will be, capable of dealing with any of the electronic malfunctions with our cars. Proven in a thread here from a fellow who has not reported back as to the outcome of his very long, frustrating expensive attempts to resolve his steering lock issue. Last report, he'd taken it to the best ex-zuk service center around here. No joy, and the fact he hasn't responded here indicates to me it didn't go well. Mind you, all the service center has is a direct line to Suzuki and maybe the Suzuki diag hardware lying around in a corner gathering dust. The factory trained mechanics who know how to use it, that any certified dealership is required to maintain by the manufacturer, are all long gone. Due to orphaned status, the 'service center' is just as much in the dark (baffled) as any other 'mechanics' would be struggling with the unique computer techno BS proprietary to the car.

The usual... brakes, tires, oil changes, alignments, body repairs...sure not technically unique. Anything requiring programming, flashing, pairing...very much unique (by design), and, nearly impossible to deal with w/o access to, and knowledge of, functioning Suzuki diagnostic tools and software.
Ron

KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:
KuroNekko wrote: As for service, the Kizashi isn't technically unique so it's not something that will baffle a mechanic. It's comparable mechanically to a Honda or Toyota of the same generation. You can also look up Authorized Suzuki Service Locations with a location finder on Suzuki's website.
I Completely disagree w/ this statement. No one is, or will be, capable of dealing with any of the electronic malfunctions with our cars. Proven in a thread here from a fellow who has not reported back as to the outcome of his very long, frustrating expensive attempts to resolve his steering lock issue. Last report, he'd taken it to the best ex-zuk service center around here. No joy, and the fact he hasn't responded here indicates to me it didn't go well. Mind you, all the service center has is a direct line to Suzuki and maybe the Suzuki diag hardware lying around in a corner gathering dust. The factory trained mechanics who know how to use it, that any certified dealership is required to maintain by the manufacturer, are all long gone. Due to orphaned status, the 'service center' is just as much in the dark (baffled) as any other 'mechanics' would be struggling with the unique computer techno BS proprietary to the car.

The usual... brakes, tires, oil changes, alignments, body repairs...sure not technically unique. Anything requiring programming, flashing, pairing...very much unique (by design), and, nearly impossible to deal with w/o access to, and knowledge of, functioning Suzuki diagnostic tools and software.
I don't think there is anything proprietary to Suzuki given Suzuki doesn't even make these components. OEMs like Calsonic do which also supply bigger automakers like Nissan. In fact, the same steering lock issue has been well documented by Nissan and Infiniti owners. Our cars have this issue too because they used the same OEM and similar, if not the same, problematic parts.
I believe taking the vehicle to a competent mechanic familiar with these issues would offer a solution in most cases. I can't imagine the reprogramming process is any different than from a Nissan with a similar issue. They may even use the same tools for reprogramming for all we know. Also, the issue with the forum member you mention appears to be isolated. If the Kizashi had a lot of proprietary electronic controls and programming, these issues would be a lot more prominent among Kizashi owners but they aren't. Some are even able to program blank fobs with third-party tools.

All that being said, I was originally talking about the mechanical components of the Kizashi. The engine is a conventional multiport 4 cylinder with a timing chain and the transmissions are either six speed manual or a CVT. AWD is available on some CVT models. The core powertrain is rather conventional and not quite on the same status as say a Volkswagen W12 engine. The brakes and rotors aren't anything too special either and I was able to replace them both with aftermarket parts from RockAuto.

While I do agree that electronic failures are the scariest part of owning this car, I'd say the same about any other vehicle. The Kizashi isn't exactly prone to electronic failures and the steering wheel lock malfunction is a mechanical issue more than an electronic programming matter. I've seen Nissan forums discuss it in detail as a lubrication-related issue with the electronically-controlled lock mechanism. Hence, some cars have it bad while others like mine haven't once exhibited the issue.
Ronzuki

Suzuki engines will never be an issue, the CVT (not designed or built by Suzuki) possibly. The electronics are quassi off-the shelf components true enough. The programming (orchestration/integration of those pieces working together) is very much all Suzuki. Some common basic elements per OBDII-ish standards. Beyond that it starts getting very unique. The never ending TPMS pairing debacles come to mind. Every car has TPMSs right? So why then is it such an expensive pain-in-the-ass to have them dealt with in ours cars? Uniqueness. Depending on what quits working, if one doesn't have the knowledge of the orchestration and the correct specific tools, the car can easily be just as worthless as if the engine blows. Dead.

The electronics of any other car is not the topic, as they are not orphaned and the manufacturers are still active here, keeping the dealers equipped and their techs up on their certs (supposedly, but that's a whole other topic). Nissan and Infinity dealers are not going to work on our cars and guarantee anything. I called the local Nissan dealer and spoke to the service manager regarding CVT fluid swap. He said he has far too much trouble talking to Infinitis (time=more money) and was not at all interested in servicing my Kizashi's CVT. The mechanical components, alone, are nothing unique...sort of. Unfortunately, none of the mechanical parts in the car will operate w/o some type of computer permission (steering column lock episode, isolated or not, the guy has a busted car and he sure as hell cares). Hence there's the risk of purchasing an orphan, today. The price associated with that risk should be commensurate...as in damn cheap. As I said, I'm one of the biggest zuk fans around, but they pulled out of here and left us all hanging, right or wrong, and that fact carries a huge negative impact on the value of the modern Suzuki auto. Hence why so many, foolishly, bailed early on their ownership.
Ron

BLyons

The forum member that's been having issues with the steering lock is because he tried to install a used one out of a junkyard car. A new part requires no programming whatsoever, as is evidenced by the numerous users, myself included, who have had them replaced at third party shops or done it themself.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD