CVT fluid analysis

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
n8dogg

Flushed my CVT and changed filters at 94K miles. No symptoms, just wanted to prevent anything catastrophic in light of recent reports of CVT failures. Submitted an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. I wrote of our concerns with the CVT and to tell me how bad the damage might be so far. Here's their response...

"Our universal averages for Suzuki's CVT are based on ~70,000 miles of oil use, so it looks like
you're not the only one doubting the "lifetime" oil claim. That being said, this oil was still in great condition
after 94,000 miles of service. The viscosity is correct and insolubles (oxidized solids) were low. Next to our
averages, your metals are in great shape. Copper is elevated slightly, but this certainly isn't an excessive
reading, and lingering wear-in likely added to that level. Overall, the transmission really looks to be in great
shape. Try ~120,000 miles next time. Nice report!"

I don't know about that 120,000 mile claim, but it is a breath of fresh air to hear the CVT is okay for now.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
Ronzuki

Damn, I didn't think to do that...probably best as I'm sure my results would not have been so sun-shiney. Therefore, what I don't know won't bother the crap outta me! :mrgreen: I'm just enjoying the new-found joy of driving the car :drive: and w/o the whine.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
DiggerDerrik

Great idea man and thanks for posting. I too, never thought to send in a sample. Glad the doctor said you’re in good shape.
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7