Suggestion for my Kizashi Problem

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
SSHREST4

Hello Everyone,
I am SJ from the USA. I am also a proud owner of 2012 Suzuki Kizashi AWD. I got my car around 7 months ago at 118k miles and it has 121k by today (March 29, 2019). Till now I have changed the oil twice and two tires. The car had a check engine light on when I bought it and it just required throttle body cleanup. It had been good since then.

My Issue:
One day I drove the car for one hour and the check engine light came on while I was driving. I went home and checked the issue with an OBD2 reader and it showed that car's second cylinder was misfiring.
So, now what I did was swapped the ignition coil+spark plugs from second to third and from third to second. Now the OBD2 reader showed me that 3rd cylinder is misfiring and the 2nd cylinder was good.
I narrowed it down to two possibilities, either the spark plug or ignition coil has gone bad. But i recently changed my spark plugs around 2 months ago.
Now I changed the ignition coil between 3rd and 2nd cylinder (without changing the spark plugs and with 3rd cylinder misfiring and 2nd cylinder ok) to test if its the ignition coil that has gone bad. But, now I put the OBD2 reader in, it shows both 2 and 3 are misfiring.
Now, my issue is what should I do. Should I replace both spark plugs and ignition coil??? I am asking this cause if its ignition coil, replacing it is quite expensive here in the USA and is it possible for me to look for alternate ignition coils if its the problem.

Also, I read that its good to change the ignition coil after 100k miles. I can do it but want to know if this will surely solve my issue.
The ignition coils I am looking at (Costs: $84 for four coils):

The spark plugs I am looking at (Costs: $34 for four spark plugs):

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
> Please Kizashi Fans Help me out

OBD2 Readers images are attached below
Attachments
56119576_345122449444098_6986377782892691456_n.jpg
56119576_345122449444098_6986377782892691456_n.jpg (81.25 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
55840292_640801466367396_7306801129361244160_n.jpg
55840292_640801466367396_7306801129361244160_n.jpg (91.21 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
55789980_290727685189018_240383796229177344_n.jpg
55789980_290727685189018_240383796229177344_n.jpg (78.35 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
55736529_916789185386441_5215666859579277312_n.jpg
55736529_916789185386441_5215666859579277312_n.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
55658753_2274898495925276_8036567359156125696_n.jpg
55658753_2274898495925276_8036567359156125696_n.jpg (76.27 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
old tech

Your method of moving parts and rechecking code is good but if youd had moved coil to no.1 and plug to no.3 then you would probably have hit it in one shot . I would erase codes and reread them after a drive . The first code thrown will be the cylinder with the failed part. on misfire codes it is not uncommon to get a second bogus misfire code. On replacing all four coils, I wouldnt. A coil failure is rare on these cars . The quality of your replacement coil is unknown and I would rather take a chance on a used one for probably $20 at your local salvage yard . It is the same coils used in the sx4 making it a lot easier to find .If thats a no go , I can get you one for $25 shipped .
SAEED_KIZZY

I agree with old tech 100%. only use OEM part specially for device like coil or spark plug as a manner of fact it better to look for any non OEM parts in your car maybe it helps to find cause of problem.
SSHREST4

Old tech I had done that...
When I first put OBD2 in it showed 2nd engine misfire... then after swapping both coil and spark plugs it showed only 3rd cylinder misfire... then I changed the coils only and I think that the bad coil damaged the spark plug on 2nd cylinder due to which after I put OBD2 both 2 and 3 got misfire... after that I swapped back the ignition coil again thinking that OBD2 will only show 3rd cylinder misfire but it showed both cylinder misfire after that... I erased codes... ran for few miles and then light came on and used obd2 reader and still both show misfire. Did this couple of times but no help.....

What should I do now ???
KuroNekko

Without a doubt in my mind, it's a failed ignition coil. I've personally experienced this in my Kizashi last summer and did the same thing you did with one exception; I made sure to clear the error code (history too) prior to the coil swap. When the CEL came back on, it showed the misfire on the swapped coil cylinder because I properly cleared the code from the original coil cylinder. I used a Bluetooth OBDII adapter with the Torque Lite app. I like app-based OBDII readers given they are cheap, get updated, and reveal more data. For example, you can view and clear active and historical codes independently. Does your device do this too?

As for replacement parts, I would not consider anything other than NGK or Denso coils. I don't really care for specifically Suzuki-labeled OE parts given they are made by Denso or NGK for most Japanese cars anyway. I replaced my failed coil with a NGK coil and it works perfectly. Keep in mind that quality parts aren't cheap and a brand new NGK or Denso coil should cost about $80 to $100 each. Getting all four for that price means you are getting either counterfeit name-brand parts or used ones. I'd avoid them if I were you.

As for plugs, I'd stay away from Bosch. They don't have a great reputation for spark plugs and NGK and Denso again are superior, especially for Japanese cars as they are OE suppliers. I believe the OE spark plug for the Kizashi are NGK Laser Iridiums. Given you recently replaced the spark plugs, it's quite evident to me the issue is a failed coil.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SSHREST4

KuroNekko wrote:Without a doubt in my mind, it's a failed ignition coil. I've personally experienced this in my Kizashi last summer and did the same thing you did with one exception; I made sure to clear the error code (history too) prior to the coil swap. When the CEL came back on, it showed the misfire on the swapped coil cylinder because I properly cleared the code from the original coil cylinder. I used a Bluetooth OBDII adapter with the Torque Lite app. I like app-based OBDII readers given they are cheap, get updated, and reveal more data. For example, you can view and clear active and historical codes independently. Does your device do this too?

As for replacement parts, I would not consider anything other than NGK or Denso coils. I don't really care for specifically Suzuki-labeled OE parts given they are made by Denso or NGK for most Japanese cars anyway. I replaced my failed coil with a NGK coil and it works perfectly. Keep in mind that quality parts aren't cheap and a brand new NGK or Denso coil should cost about $80 to $100 each. Getting all four for that price means you are getting either counterfeit name-brand parts or used ones. I'd avoid them if I were you.

As for plugs, I'd stay away from Bosch. They don't have a great reputation for spark plugs and NGK and Denso again are superior, especially for Japanese cars as they are OE suppliers. I believe the OE spark plug for the Kizashi are NGK Laser Iridiums. Given you recently replaced the spark plugs, it's quite evident to me the issue is a failed coil.

Hey there, I really liked your suggestion about the car. I really appreciate it and wanted some advice about my entire situation. You see, my OBD2 reader is a simple one, it can detect and erase codes that's it.
Regarding my problem, I liked your suggestion. But when I swapped the coils I have done it few times and I don't remember which one is good coil and which one is bad. I don't want to test any of them on 1st or 4th cylinder cause I am afraid. Also, I don't want to take it to mechanic as they can charge me a lot of money for the coil. My question is how should I approach this problem.

I was thinking of may be changing spark plus on both 2 and 3 and see which engine will misfire but if both misfire does that mean I have to replace both spark plugs. I am a student here and support myself so don't have much money to be working on expensive purchases. Now I think I should have just changed the ignition coil and spark plugs on 2nd cylinder without any testing.

How do you suggest me to approach this problem?
My issue:
No clue which one of 2nd and 3rd is bad ignition coil as I think the bad coil also damaged the good spark plug while swapping just the ignition coils. So now may be both cylinder has bad spark plug and one of them have damaged ignition coil.

Also :
Can you send me link to buy the specific spark plug and ignition coil for my car.
Since this is my first car and the owners manual was not in car I have complications choosing the parts.
Tom Kizzie

Yes NGK laser irridiums. I replaced them a short wile ago.
kizashi 6mt black
KuroNekko

SSHREST4 wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:Without a doubt in my mind, it's a failed ignition coil. I've personally experienced this in my Kizashi last summer and did the same thing you did with one exception; I made sure to clear the error code (history too) prior to the coil swap. When the CEL came back on, it showed the misfire on the swapped coil cylinder because I properly cleared the code from the original coil cylinder. I used a Bluetooth OBDII adapter with the Torque Lite app. I like app-based OBDII readers given they are cheap, get updated, and reveal more data. For example, you can view and clear active and historical codes independently. Does your device do this too?

Hey there, I really liked your suggestion about the car. I really appreciate it and wanted some advice about my entire situation. You see, my OBD2 reader is a simple one, it can detect and erase codes that's it.
Regarding my problem, I liked your suggestion. But when I swapped the coils I have done it few times and I don't remember which one is good coil and which one is bad. I don't want to test any of them on 1st or 4th cylinder cause I am afraid. Also, I don't want to take it to mechanic as they can charge me a lot of money for the coil. My question is how should I approach this problem.

I was thinking of may be changing spark plus on both 2 and 3 and see which engine will misfire but if both misfire does that mean I have to replace both spark plugs. I am a student here and support myself so don't have much money to be working on expensive purchases. Now I think I should have just changed the ignition coil and spark plugs on 2nd cylinder without any testing.

How do you suggest me to approach this problem?
My issue:
No clue which one of 2nd and 3rd is bad ignition coil as I think the bad coil also damaged the good spark plug while swapping just the ignition coils. So now may be both cylinder has bad spark plug and one of them have damaged ignition coil.

Also :
Can you send me link to buy the specific spark plug and ignition coil for my car.
Since this is my first car and the owners manual was not in car I have complications choosing the parts.
Okay, let me first start by saying don't worry about the spark plugs. They are very likely just fine. Don't worry about swapping, replacing, or trying to figure out which one is "bad" among the spark plugs. Your problem is the ignition coil, not the plugs. As for the coil, you only swapped them between two cylinders so try to recall how you swapped them and where the original bad one currently sits. For now, forget all the error codes since and only focus on the first one and where that coil is now. That's the one you need to replace. If you absolutely can't recall, (though it's a 50/50 chance, it seems) then disconnect the car battery at the negative terminal for several minutes. Reconnect and idle the engine. A failed coil will be obvious as the engine will idle very roughly as one of the cylinders likely won't function properly. Then read the code for the current error code, assuming historic codes also don't display.

Again, you should only focus on the original failed coil for now. This will keep the troubleshooting simpler and costs lower. If you determine that the replacement coil does not fix the issue, then elevate the troubleshooting and parts swap/replacement. Again, the spark plugs are likely just fine.

I got this very coil from this very site:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 31&jsn=331
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)