Drive Belt

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Post Reply
User avatar
redmed
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:56 pm
Location: Michigan

I'm about to replace the drive belt. Has anyone had trouble with the idler pulley or belt tensioner ? Just wondering if I should replace them now or keep as spares. Thinking the aftermarket pulley's will not be the same quality of OEM.
64 Galaxie 68 Olds 442 65 Impala 70 VW Bug
74 Nissan B210 66 Chevelle 73 Olds 98 71 C20
75 Monza 82 Escort 75 E150 75 Civic 76 Accord
86 Escort 87 Taurus 83 Chevy G20 85 Ranger 4x4
93 F250 4x4 95 Silhouette 95 LHS 03 Corolla 10 Kizashi S MT
17 Sienna
User avatar
Ronzuki
Posts: 2368
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Lancaster County, PA

I had my tensioner pulley replaced a long time ago under a recall. Hard to speculate about parts quality anymore, If it's not too terrible, I'd go OEM.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
rossirob73
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 am

redmed wrote:I'm about to replace the drive belt. Has anyone had trouble with the idler pulley or belt tensioner ? Just wondering if I should replace them now or keep as spares. Thinking the aftermarket pulley's will not be the same quality of OEM.
How many km are you at ?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
old tech
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:51 pm
Location: n/w pennsysvania

I have seen the tensioner be at fault for rolling and or shredding the drive belt more than a few times on the Kizashis of different model years with more than 100k miles on them. I think it should be replaced every 100k to be safe. Its not the bearing thats failing but the pivot wear caused by the lever action of the tensioner. You can check the condition of the tensioner by rotating the engine counterclockwise 6 revolutions while watching how the belt is riding on the the tensioner pulley directly above the crank pulley . If it is good , the belt will stay on the pulley squarely. If its worn, you will see it start walking off.
User avatar
redmed
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:56 pm
Location: Michigan

rossirob73 wrote:
redmed wrote:I'm about to replace the drive belt. Has anyone had trouble with the idler pulley or belt tensioner ? Just wondering if I should replace them now or keep as spares. Thinking the aftermarket pulley's will not be the same quality of OEM.
How many km are you at ?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
100,000 mi or 160934.4 km
64 Galaxie 68 Olds 442 65 Impala 70 VW Bug
74 Nissan B210 66 Chevelle 73 Olds 98 71 C20
75 Monza 82 Escort 75 E150 75 Civic 76 Accord
86 Escort 87 Taurus 83 Chevy G20 85 Ranger 4x4
93 F250 4x4 95 Silhouette 95 LHS 03 Corolla 10 Kizashi S MT
17 Sienna
rossirob73
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 am

redmed wrote:
rossirob73 wrote:
redmed wrote:I'm about to replace the drive belt. Has anyone had trouble with the idler pulley or belt tensioner ? Just wondering if I should replace them now or keep as spares. Thinking the aftermarket pulley's will not be the same quality of OEM.
How many km are you at ?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
100,000 mi or 160934.4 km
My book says to replace at 105,000 km best to do yours asap.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Post Reply