It finally happened...possible CVT faiure

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
RobNaughton

old tech wrote:This is what I would suggest doing with it. Erase the transmission code and test drive again taking note of how its acting and how fast the code returns . Next pull the pan and check rear of pan floor and filter screen and post it .If there is steel chips and or black teflon it would indicate primary failure.If its clean, I have seen the stepper motor fail. It is rare but it does happen.( 86k miles on an sx4 cvt usually that thing is hardly broke in). Lower valve body and install another one.
Sorry for the delay...I removed the pan and screen, everything looks pretty clean. I do not have a photo of the pan (I had the kid helping put it back on to keep things clean) but here is a couple photos of the screen and oil from the pan. Unfortunately it sat in my garage for a while before I got to taking photos so the little bit of dust and debris you see is from sitting in my garage. There was no steel chips, no teflon. So based on your comment, the next step would be replace the stepper motor.... and sorry I am confused on the last sentence...are you saying Lower Valve body and replace stepper motor or replace stepper motor and lower valve body? Can you please advise on finding quality used parts or should I try to order new? Will anything in the computer system need to be reprogrammed? There is absolutely nobody in my area who works on or knows how to work on Suzuki's.

Thanks
Rob
old tech

Stepper motor is on top of valve body so vale body must be lowered to gain access to it . I can sell you a stepper motor for $20 shipped if you would like. No programming is needed, just all codes erased.
RobNaughton

old tech wrote:Stepper motor is on top of valve body so vale body must be lowered to gain access to it . I can sell you a stepper motor for $20 shipped if you would like. No programming is needed, just all codes erased.
That would be great, I have some other questions as well. Can you call me or is there a number I can call you at?

Thanks
Rob
928-699-2348
old tech

After pan removal, remove filter and shifter rod nut and bushing. Then remove bolts circled in picture. There are different lengths so you my want to organize them Image
After unplugging you can drop the valve body . The stepper motor is mounted with 2 5mm Allen bolts . The ratio control valve needs checked to make sure it glides in and out Image
When you are ready to reinstall valve body, there is a hole to use to hold the pivot arm in place. A drill bit works good here.Image
If replacement of the stepper motor or freeing up a ratio control valve aren’t it ,then your problem may be the controller unit on firewall above left knee in passenger compartment or you have the beginnings of the very common failure of the primary pulley balls wearing and jamming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk