Overhead Ambient lighting

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
ben-gal-fan

Yes, like I said.. pretty poor effort just to be able to add it to the "features" list.
Honda's got the ball on ambient lighting..

However, I did just drive a 2011 jetta sportwagen the other day and I noticed in the user interface menus that you can actually adjust the footwell light brightness..

Have the auto manufacturers really gotten to the point where this is how they are spending their R&D dollars? How about making the car more quiet. The sportwagen was like riding with the roof down compared to the quietness of the Kizashi.
TheHolyGhost

Audi has had overhead ambient lighting since about 2000. The new BMWs have it all over the interior. A small example, note under the door and behind the door handle:
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
volunteer

ben-gal-fan wrote:Yes, like I said.. pretty poor effort just to be able to add it to the "features" list.
Honda's got the ball on ambient lighting..

However, I did just drive a 2011 jetta sportwagen the other day and I noticed in the user interface menus that you can actually adjust the footwell light brightness..

Have the auto manufacturers really gotten to the point where this is how they are spending their R&D dollars? How about making the car more quiet. The sportwagen was like riding with the roof down compared to the quietness of the Kizashi.

It's ambient lighting folks, not direct lighting. It's not meant to illuminate the cup holder or any other specfic spot. If you want to illuminate your cup holder, turn on the map light on either side of the overhead console. Ambient lighting is there to give a "warm glow" to the interior around the console (or footwell, door handle, etc.). There is a huge amount of time and money devoted to automotive lighting in general, and yes, a lot of that goes to interior "ambient" lighting.
EnfinityX

volunteer wrote:It's ambient lighting folks, not direct lighting. It's not meant to illuminate the cup holder or any other specfic spot. If you want to illuminate your cup holder, turn on the map light on either side of the overhead console. Ambient lighting is there to give a "warm glow" to the interior around the console (or footwell, door handle, etc.). There is a huge amount of time and money devoted to automotive lighting in general, and yes, a lot of that goes to interior "ambient" lighting.
while i get that, i think the general gripe is that the ambient lighting doesnt reach anything to give anything a glow at all and is just two dots in the ceiling.
mysuzyK

I like the soft red light in the over head, I use it to see where my coffee cup is orientated so
I don't spill it. Rather then turn on the map lights.
TheHolyGhost

I think it's a nice touch. Could it be a little brighter? Sure, but I still think it adds a touch of class to the interior.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
robs48

can anyone actually see any red light other than holding your hand a few inches from them?Is there any Intensity adjustment for this that I (we) might be missing?
metatrox

I think if you want some ambient lighting then you should turn the footwell lights on all the time. That's what I did. It's quite nice.
I'm not real sure what the red lights are for. They aren't very bright for anything really.
2010 SLS, Platinum Silver.
WESHOOT2

The overheads give me a bit of guidance for the butt-cup I keep in the front cupholder.
I like 'em.....
tigerbangs54

Speaking of lighting, I have to tell you that the puddle lights are awesome! Just the thing in this snowy winter environment.