After Kizashi - What New Vehicle?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KlutzNinja

n8dogg wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:55 pm I play this game a lot...If my Kizashi were to die today, what would I get? I lean more toward practicality, but if I can have some fun that's a plus! I usually just commute, but my wife and I enjoy long road trips as well. So if there is one thing I might look forward to in our next car, it would be quieter cabin and maybe slightly larger. The AWD and handling of my Kizashi are some of my favorite features while I'm commuting so I'd definitely hate to lose those for the sake of comfort...oh the dilemma! And while bigger price tags cars may easily fit this bill, my practical side thinks I'd have to go to the used market if I want a car with any bells or whistles!
Recently I stumbled into this: 2020 Buick Regal GS. AWD and 301 hp Naturally Aspirated V6. MPG is reportedly on par with what I get with my Kizashi ( I'm getting 21 calculated at the pump). Plus it's kind of rare and quirky (i don't usually think Brembo brakes when I think of Buick!) Not everyone has one, Kind of like the Kizashi! So I haven't actually seen a Regal in GS trim in person, but it's on my radar!
Second might be a Toyota Camry in TRD or XSE trim with V6. Reliability for sure! AWD can only be had on 4 banger, BOOO! Not as unique and cost more. We all pretty much know what you get with a Toyota, so I'd like to explore the Buick a little more. What do you guys think?
I personally like the Buick (Opel) Regal - it’s not Chevy-based like some other Buicks, and like you more or less said, they’re rather uncommon. Especially the recent ones, for some reason. I’ve been seeing some mid-2010s recently, but not the outgoing generation. I’d imagine the drive would be somewhat different from the Kizashi’s, but an otherwise fine experience. I’m not sure I’d want to get a car that large, but if I did, I’d definitely consider it.
The V6 accepts regular gasoline, too, whereas the turbo I4 in other Regal trims prefers premium.

The Camry is a decent car; I think someone else here got one after their Kizashi. I’m not sure they shared their thoughts on the ownership experience, though.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
KuroNekko

I like the Buick Regals too, though like the Kizashi, they were a sales flop and since discontinued, not to mention Opel is no longer under GM. While I like the last gen sedan, it's the wagon version that really intrigued me. The Regal TourX seemed like an upscale Outback with less offroad ability but a better powertrain. These are also Kizashi-rare, at least in my region. I sometimes toy with the idea of getting a wagon like the TourX or VW Golf Alltrack but can't seem to really justify letting the Kizashi go for them. These wagons are also now discontinued and probably don't have much aftermarket support.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
NickL

Has someone tried Subaru Levorg with 1.6 turbo petrol engine?

This car might be as rare on the streets as Kizashi, but that is one of the reasons why it woke up my interest. In my personal opinion it looks outstanding for a wagon, has simple but smartly layed out interior, not a fan of a smaller turbo engine but what the heck, 170hp is reasonable power for daily ride, automatic transmission with simulated gears, lots of space in the trunk, and most important of all, Awd paired with that beatiful, low placed boxer engine which, combined with firmer suspension, gives really good driving impressions.

Anyone else likes the Levorg?
"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing". H. Ford
KuroNekko

NickL wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:06 am Has someone tried Subaru Levorg with 1.6 turbo petrol engine?

This car might be as rare on the streets as Kizashi, but that is one of the reasons why it woke up my interest. In my personal opinion it looks outstanding for a wagon, has simple but smartly layed out interior, not a fan of a smaller turbo engine but what the heck, 170hp is reasonable power for daily ride, automatic transmission with simulated gears, lots of space in the trunk, and most important of all, Awd paired with that beatiful, low placed boxer engine which, combined with firmer suspension, gives really good driving impressions.

Anyone else likes the Levorg?
The Levorg is not sold in the United States. However, some like myself are aware of it. I've personally seen them in Japan and checked one out closely at Subaru's headquarters in Tokyo where the lobby was a showroom. The Levorg was initially released as a wagon version of the JDM WRX. Much like the WRX there, it's only available with the CVT. I think later versions and/or export models were offered with a smaller turbo engine. A 1.6 liter turbo is not offered in the US for any Subaru. All WRXs here are sedans as of now and the STi is currently not sold (awaiting next gen). Subaru's presence in the US largely consists of the Outback, Crosstrek, and Forester. The new WRX has not sold too well, according to reports.
paininthenuts

Firefly wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:22 am Been six years since I last drove my 2011 SLS, and still remember it fondly as possibly my favorite ride. Have any of you moved to something that compares to the overall Kiz experience? What new vehicle today compares best?
I have had several cars since selling mine back in 2015. I sold my Kizashi and my wife's convertible in order we could cut down to one car, which was a Vauxhall Cascada. It was a large and quite luxuries convertible. Unfortunately having only one car didn't work for us, so it got sold and I bought a Fiat 124 spider for her, and a Vauxhall Meriva for myself. We still have the Spider, but I replaced the Meriva with an MG3, then 18 months later I splashed out and bought a Kia Niro Hybrid. The Spider is hilarious fun, and very fast, whilst the Niro is technically the best car I have ever owned, or even driven. That said, it cost me £5k more than my first house. The Kizashi was fantastic, although the fuel economy was dreadful. My only complaint other than that was it lacked a sat nav, which I always found strange considering the rest of the very high spec
kizashiNY

KuroNekko wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:37 pm I like the Buick Regals too, though like the Kizashi, they were a sales flop and since discontinued, not to mention Opel is no longer under GM. While I like the last gen sedan, it's the wagon version that really intrigued me. The Regal TourX seemed like an upscale Outback with less offroad ability but a better powertrain. These are also Kizashi-rare, at least in my region. I sometimes toy with the idea of getting a wagon like the TourX or VW Golf Alltrack but can't seem to really justify letting the Kizashi go for them. These wagons are also now discontinued and probably don't have much aftermarket support.
Just looked at one of the TourX the other day (figuring i may get 2 more years out of my kizashi), I really wish they hadn't been discontinued they're a dream to drive.
KuroNekko

kizashiNY wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:44 pm
KuroNekko wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:37 pm I like the Buick Regals too, though like the Kizashi, they were a sales flop and since discontinued, not to mention Opel is no longer under GM. While I like the last gen sedan, it's the wagon version that really intrigued me. The Regal TourX seemed like an upscale Outback with less offroad ability but a better powertrain. These are also Kizashi-rare, at least in my region. I sometimes toy with the idea of getting a wagon like the TourX or VW Golf Alltrack but can't seem to really justify letting the Kizashi go for them. These wagons are also now discontinued and probably don't have much aftermarket support.
Just looked at one of the TourX the other day (figuring i may get 2 more years out of my kizashi), I really wish they hadn't been discontinued they're a dream to drive.
Yeah, sadly, they are another casualty to the American obsession with CUVs. CUVs aren't terrible or useless vehicles but I think wagons are compelling vehicles that offer sedan-like handling with CUV-like utility. Nonetheless, the Regal and TourX were discontinued and Buick now only offers CUVs.
n8dogg

n8dogg wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:55 pm So I haven't actually seen a Regal in GS trim in person, but it's on my radar!
I finally found and test rode in a 2020 Buick GS on a recent trip to Atlanta. There seems to be none west of the Mississippi in the last several months I've been looking, and I live near Seattle. On line forum chatter suggest that there's maybe 3000 GSs imported to the US...in the final generation at least.

So it's an okay car...but a little underwhelming. My wife and I climbed all around it, played with all the features and all. For $35K used, I just wasn't that impressed. The car check off a lot of boxes for me like: Styling, AWD, Naturally Aspirated, RED! and had coolness factors like heads up display, Brembo brakes, LARGE hatch trunk space, heated AND ventilated AND massaging seats! I also liked the interior dash controls and displays. They were pretty simply and uncluttered without massive screens dominating the entire dash...almost low tech in this era, but I like that.

BUT...the dive was pretty ho hum. V6 and tranny didn't seem that exciting for me. Rear end felt floaty too. Maybe it needed some weight in that massive trunk to help plant that rear end! :lol: Interior space felt comparable to Kizashi, but cubbies and cup holder space made it feel less functionable and interior materials felt low end.

Nice car, but not as sporting as the GS namesake and price would suggest. For the handling, might as well forgo the premium price of the GS and go with high option sedan (Avenir) or wagon, but now you're dealing with a 4 cyl. turbo and no AWD, as long as you're okay with that. I am not.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:51 am It has been 8 years since we moved on but still have much respect for the Kizashi. It was a gem that punched far above its weight. I don't miss the massive A pillars though.

We've moved onto an E90 330i and P2 V70 NA. The E90 is an incredible machine and it's a shame what happened to BMW since then.

The V70 is a solid reliable family hauler that drives well after a few upgrades. It had an atrocious 40' turning circle though, but I was able to modify the steering rack limiters to decrease it to 33' (the irony of doing drifter modifications on a family wagon).

With the state of new vehicles, it'll be a sad day when we have to replace these. They have so much more "feel" and character, and I can't give up the naturally aspirated engines despite their poor fuel efficiency. I did come close to an 987.2 Cayman S though, but we decided to have a kid instead...
Hey Bootymac! It's been a long time! Nice to see you check in.
PittsburghJoe

NickL wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:32 am What after Kizashi...

I just bought a Kia Stinger last week to replace my beloved 2012 sle awd. I loved that car enough to go through 2 engines and 2 transmissions over 180k.

I think the stinger has everything I loved about the Kizashi and more. I highly recommend it for Kizashi lovers. I'd love to hear what you fuhs think. I haven't posted often over the last 10 years but I have enjoyed reading many of your posts!

I own the car more than 2 years now and beside the Problem with paint that i solved relatively cheap, it didn't give me any headache.

Nevertheless in about a year or two the time will come to replace the Kizzy with someting newer. It doesn't matter how much I like this car, the life is too short to stick to one car for a too long time.

After thinking about many possibilities including some BMW 3 series GT, Mazda 6 and CX5, as well as Ford Mondeo, somehow I came on the idea off pulling the trigger and buying the Dodge Challenger with v6 engine. I was always a fan of american musle cars even though I never seriously considered owning one of them because they use to have (beside power) awful bad consumption as well as the Problem with spare parts in Europe. However I see that these newer V6 engines found in Camaro, Mustang and Challenger are much more efficient and better option as a daily driver. To be honest, Mustang is my number one but it is too small to be one and only car in the family. I never thought about buying the coupe as a family car but after seeing many videos about how roomy Challenger inside is and how much space it offers on a back seat and in the trun'k, it may actually be a reasonable choice. I really, really like every single detail on the car and the fact that it retained retro looks which are placed in a modern car. I like the Petrol engine and 309 hp are more than enough for me on a daily basis, especially paired with 8 speed auto transmission that proved to be working soo good in many BMWS.

The only thing I don't like about Challenger is the facts that it drives a lot off attention especially here in Europe where it is such a rare and unusual car.

What do you think guys? Can a Challenger with the smallest engine be a good choice as an everyday vehicle for a car enthusiast with a family with 2 small children? How much different is this car when beeing compared to Kizashi?

I know that is most probably like comparing fire and water but i would be happy to read opinions...