2012 Kizashi for a Teenager?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Mert

My son is interested in buying a 2012 Kizashi FWD for about $4K. 95,000 miles.

1) Is that a good price or overpriced?
2) He saved up for a long tie to buy a car...I am concerned about him maybe getting something that won't last long and waste his money (transmission mainly from what I read on this forum)
3) Safer for him to purchase another 2010-2012 model vehicle that is safer bet, still has parts available (he likes this just because it does ahave a lot of features for the $)

Trying to get some expert input before he moves forward. Located in North Carolina. Thanks.
WESHOOT2

Buy! (it sounds like a good deal)
KiZoo

I have a 2012 SE with the CVT trans. Maintenance is key for the AWD models. Maintain the trans fluids with regular changes every 20k or so and you should be golden.
I wouldn't trade my car for anything.
Absolutely love it. 133k on mine. Smooth as silk!

Did you say the vehicle in question was FWD and not AWD..? if so, the transmissions are geared in those with FWD

These cars are largely overlooked.
Absolutely love mine!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Mert

The one he is looking at with 95K miles is FWD but also there is another that is AWD, 105K 2012 that is also available.

Is transmission longer lasting on the FWD or the AWD? Specs say both are CVT. Kizashi service guy nearby (former dealer) told me to be really weary of the transmission. Just afraid it dies and then too expensive to try and fix. But appreciate whatever feedback you have.

Also, the AWD is S trim, the FWD is SE if that makes much difference.

Just trying to decide if better/safer to look at 2012 Dodge or Nissan or something else for similar $ that may be less money to service, less likely to fail soon on CVT.
KuroNekko

There is some confusion here so let me try to clear it up:
All automatic transmissions in the Kizashi are CVTs, regardless of FWD or AWD. The confusion comes from the fact that the Kizashi is available with a 6 speed manual transmission but only in FWD. I have one of these.

As for getting a used Kizashi with a CVT:
At this point, it's a flat-out lie to say it's not a gamble. Sure, there are many here with higher mileage Kizashis with CVTs working fine. However, these were largely benefitting from better service, care, and more gentle driving by their original or low mileage owners. When it comes to a used car with high mileage, you are at greater risk of getting something with worn out, abused, and neglected parts. The CVT in this car is about a 100K lifespan transmission by most accounts. Yes, they can last a lot longer, but you enter the risk range at that mileage given the official Suzuki stand was that these were "maintenance-free" transmissions. Hence, most Kizashis on the road never had their CVTs serviced until quite late, if ever. Also, professional mechanics, like Old Tech on this forum, have identified some CVT design flaws that made the transmission susceptible to failure from component stress wear at higher mileage. For a new driver with limited funds, it seems like a dangerous proposition to get a high mileage Kizashi without meticulous records of maintenance.

In my honest opinion, the only safe and solid used high mileage Kizashi would be a manual transmission model. Even then, you risk buying a car with a worn clutch and getting the proper parts for this orphaned car can pose a challenge. At least clutches are wear parts like brake pads and don't spell the death of a vehicle when they go out.

I hate to say this, but if I were you, I'd guide your son away from a Kizashi or any high mileage car with a CVT. This includes Nissan (Suzuki and Nissan both use JATCO CVTs) and used Dodges are terrible too. Subarus are overpriced cars with major issues their fanbois don't want to admit. From oil-burning engines to CVTs, I don't think the Subarus of the last twenty years will hold up like the ones from the 90's. My brand of choice would be Mazda or Scion for a used car in that budget range. These are more likely built in Japan and have non-CVT (conventional automatic) transmissions. Their reliability is superior to most cars of that budget range. Of course Honda and Toyota make great small cars but their prices are often inflated due to popularity and reputation.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

KuroNekko wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:19 pm There is some confusion here so let me try to clear it up:
All automatic transmissions in the Kizashi are CVTs, regardless of FWD or AWD. The confusion comes from the fact that the Kizashi is available with a 6 speed manual transmission but only in FWD. I have one of these.

As for getting a used Kizashi with a CVT:
At this point, it's a flat-out lie to say it's not a gamble. Sure, there are many here with higher mileage Kizashis with CVTs working fine. However, these were largely benefitting from better service, care, and more gentle driving by their original or low mileage owners. When it comes to a used car with high mileage, you are at greater risk of getting something with worn out, abused, and neglected parts. The CVT in this car is about a 100K lifespan transmission by most accounts. Yes, they can last a lot longer, but you enter the risk range at that mileage given the official Suzuki stand was that these were "maintenance-free" transmissions. Hence, most Kizashis on the road never had their CVTs serviced until quite late, if ever. Also, professional mechanics, like Old Tech on this forum, have identified some CVT design flaws that made the transmission susceptible to failure from component stress wear at higher mileage. For a new driver with limited funds, it seems like a dangerous proposition to get a high mileage Kizashi without meticulous records of maintenance.

In my honest opinion, the only safe and solid used high mileage Kizashi would be a manual transmission model. Even then, you risk buying a car with a worn clutch and getting the proper parts for this orphaned car can pose a challenge. At least clutches are wear parts like brake pads and don't spell the death of a vehicle when they go out.

I hate to say this, but if I were you, I'd guide your son away from a Kizashi or any high mileage car with a CVT. This includes Nissan (Suzuki and Nissan both use JATCO CVTs) and used Dodges are terrible too. Subarus are overpriced cars with major issues their fanbois don't want to admit. From oil-burning engines to CVTs, I don't think the Subarus of the last twenty years will hold up like the ones from the 90's. My brand of choice would be Mazda or Scion for a used car in that budget range. These are more likely built in Japan and have non-CVT (conventional automatic) transmissions. Their reliability is superior to most cars of that budget range. Of course Honda and Toyota make great small cars but their prices are often inflated due to popularity and reputation.
Unfortunately, I couldn't agree more. I absolutely love my Kizashi, but I am the original owner and maintain my own vehicles. And, I know how I've driven it all these years and miles as well.
The one big plus for the Kizashi, when considering a young driver, is that it boasts an absolutely stellar top-notch safety rating. It received some of the highest marks back when it debuted. It is a solid vehicle (sans the CVT).

Two things...first, some Dodges use the same JATCO CVT as the Kizashi (and Nissans as Kuro indicated). Second, used Dodge anything...PASS. I've had many over the years from pure Dodge-Chrysler-RAM fame to the Daimler-Chrysler days, right on in to the Fiat-Chrysler days. All bought new, all meticulously maintained by me, all absolute junk.

Where do you live? If it's anywhere near Pittsburgh, OldTech can take care of one of the biggest design flaws in the trans.

If you do end up w/ the CVT Kizashi, make sure to train your son to be very patient when shifting from one direction to the other. Rolling directional change shifts that so many conventional AT drivers have become accustomed to over the years are definitely NOT recommended with a CVT. And, the Kizashi owner's manual explicitly states transmission damage WILL occur.

I was a big fan of used Toyota Corollas for the kids. Rock solid, reliable, cheap to operate, cheap and easy to maintain. Easy to maintain means lower labor costs if you're paying someone else to work on it. There's some really nice older ones floating around and high mileage is not an issue on them if the basic maintenance was done during its life.
Or, how about an AWD of FWD SX4? The CVT in it the later models is the same as the Kizashi, however, is well over-sized for the vehicle and experiences none of the issues demonstrated in the Kizashi to my knowledge. Reason being is the CVT is border-line under sized in the car and it has more power. We own both cars w/ the CVT. Good luck and happy hunting.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KlutzNinja

@ Ron: the OP mentioned (at the very bottom of the first post; I almost missed it, too) they’re based in North Carolina. I have no idea if that part of the country gets inclement weather but since it’s not southern California, I’m guessing it does :lol:. If the teen needs a first car with AWD I can see why the Kizashi would be considered.

I’m no expert, but I have to hard agree with Kuro (and Ron). The Kizashi on paper is a solid car, and also is literally a very solid car. But realistically, it’s not an ideal car for most people, especially as a teen’s first car. I’d say it’s not even ideal for the average adult just looking for another commuter car.
As Suzuki’s auto division is all but gone from the US, aside from the odd service center to help with recalls (of which there are too many), living with a car that has a high failure rate and spotty parts availability is not advisable unless you know what you’re getting yourself into. On that note, you should also check to see where your nearest service center is. In some places it’s in the next State over. Mine is 50+ minutes away through a hellish commute on a good day and I consider myself lucky.
In my opinion, the average teen shouldn’t have to worry about whether they can find parts online or afford to fly some in from Japan; they probably suffer enough anxiety already lol. The pandemic has made the parts situation even more tricky. In my case, I’ve been waiting on some non-essential parts for months now. My options are to wait it out or pay a hefty price for premium shipping. Again, this shouldn’t be something a teen or their family should have to worry themselves over on their first car.

I’ll add to the list of other cars to avoid. The Ford Focus models from 2012 to whenever it was they got canned here in the US should be avoided, as their automatic transmissions are very troublesome.

Mitsubishi’s Lancer also has a CVT (INVECS-III) that doesn’t seem any more unreliable than the JATCO, but its performance didn’t seem to win many people over, either. It’s otherwise a pretty solid, if cheap-feeling, car. Resale value will be abysmal though, as is the Kizashi’s.

Scions are great for being reliable and simple, as most are essentially Toyotas wearing a different badge (the Scion brand was created specially for the US to sell to younger consumers), but a few of the original models didn’t pass all of the crash tests too well.
I’d look up results on iihs.org before putting down money towards any car. It’s nice knowing if your teen’s car is safer than others in its class. Modern day cars are pretty safe overall, but the cars from the Kizashi’s era, and a lot of $4,500 used car cars overall, had varying results in these safety tests.

Sorry for the long post, I know they can be an eyesore. In conclusion I’d have to say pass on the two Kizashis you listed so far; they’re high-mileage, and depending on how they were driven by the previous owners, could be on the verge of suffering a CVT failure. If you find a Kizashi with “low” mileage, which at this point in time would be in the 50-60k mileage range, then the notion of getting a Kizashi isn’t so bad (but still not great). Especially if they don’t end up driving all that much. My average yearly mileage has never been more than 5,000 lol. My Kizashi has 66.7k miles or so, so I’ve got a while before things get serious.

I’m curious as to what other cars the others here would suggest, considering Nissan, FCA, and Subaru have already been struck down. Honda and Toyotas seem a little boring here on a Kizashi forum, even if they are solid. I’d worry about theft, too. They’re relatively common targets.

I’d recommend Mazda as well, to be honest.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
Woodie

I would say it's a pretty good choice because of the likelihood of being totalled. Most teenagers are going to do something stupid with their first car, this one is very sturdy and isn't as big an investment as most others due to the horrible depreciation.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency