I found a 2011 Kizashi (FWD) for sale... wondering if I should sell my '12 AWD and buy it

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
AirRideFan

Are there any reliability differences between the 2011 Sport SLS and the 2012-2013 Sport GTS/Sport SLS models???

I noticed somebody on here said they had a slight oil leak at only around 100k miles or a little more maybe... and it was either a 2010 or 2011 model? As much as I do LOVE the AWD on my 2012 about 2-3 days (TOPS!) per year... lol.... I hate carrying around the extra 250-275 lbs of added weight. I'd much rather buy a FWD model--- especially if I could turn back the hands of time and buy a low mileage one--- like I"ve found ---- that way I could do all the things I didn't DO with mine, right away. CVT fluid change- wrap the headlights, and have the underneath coated with oil/something to prevent the salt during the winter months from rusting things underneath, etc. I can't even have my rear alignment corrected anymore--- thanks to the stupid winters here in Pennsylvania.

Anyway--- Just wondering what you guys think about the 2011 vs. my 2012...or even the 2013 models. I know nothing "changed", per say... but are there any differences regarding RECALLS or TSB's... or reliability differences --- in terms of engine gaskets/ CVT failure-rates between the different years ? I'd kind've EXPECT a 2013 model to be better off than a 2010 or even 2011 model, in terms of the CVT, but not sure.
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

ExtremeContact DWS Tuned tires on staggered Speedlines! :o
Ecsta V720 235/40's on the OEM 18's
Hakkapeliitta R2 235/45's on Sport Edition KV5 18's <- too heavy
WinterContact 215/55's on Lexus GS 16's this winter!
WESHOOT2

I have noted no difference in reliability or durability in my four.......
AirRideFan

Okay.... thanks WESHOOT2. I am having a tough time deciding between a FWD or another AWD, too. Tough call.
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

Woodie

The only substantial difference is the transmission. CVT is fragile like glass, manual is bulletproof. Add in less weight, more power, better control over what the car is doing.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

Are you considering between a FWD CVT model vs. your current AWD model? If that's the case, stay with your current AWD. The AWD models are worth more and plus, you already know the car. While there may be lower mileage Kizashis, their maintenance and history are unknown so there is a risk factor in getting into a different used car. Unless your Kizashi has some major known issues, I don't see the point in trading out. Keep in mind the Kizashi is a one-generation car. There was not much that changed over the years other than the introduction of the Sport models in 2011+ and a deeper CVT pan on later model years. The engine gasket leak issue is very minor. It's for the valve cover gasket and it can happen on any engine with age given the engine didn't change over all model years.
You already have a 2012 Sport SLS which is the top-level spec. I can understand people looking to upgrade from an S model to a Sport SLS, but you already have one.

IMO, the only FWD model worth getting over an AWD is a manual transmission model like Woodie stated. You will lose the AWD but gain a transmission that is worry-free and certainly outlast CVTs long down the line. However, there are sacrifices with a manual transmission and not everyone wants one or knows how to drive them. If you are likely going to get a different car in a matter of a few years, stay with the AWD model because an automatic vehicle with AWD is worth more than a FWD manual in resale value. The manual trans models are the best choice for those of us who plan to keep the Kizashi for years to come and put on an excess of 150,000 miles.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
old tech

There’s not too much reliability differences between the different years that I’ve seen however I do favor 2011 because it still has the Japanese transmission with the vin tag . 2012 and 13 transmission computers were much more fussier to except a different transmission if you didn’t swap the ROM. Another interesting thing is in 2013 there was no longer any sub woofer. My personal thought is a real transmission doesn’t shift itself however in the Kizashi , the manual transmission was just pulled off the shelf from the Sx4 stock pile thus has the economy car gearing , the economy car clutch feel and the shifter feels quite vague but yet gets the job done. I think they could’ve done so much more with the manual shift along with offering the all-wheel-drive behind it giving it closer gear ratios stiffer clutch and shorten up the shifter and improve the feel of the shifter. I think for the true Kizashi experience it needs to be a GTS or SLS front wheel drive 2011 or 2012 using the paddle shifters. As far as the CVT transmission being fragile, I don’t think that’s completely true. There is only one part of that transmission that is common to failure and that is easily changed over to long pin and is quite durable after that. I’m expecting 200k plus out of mine. As for the Pennsylvania rear alignment problem , I have ways of correcting that also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KuroNekko

old tech wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:37 pm There’s not too much reliability differences between the different years that I’ve seen however I do favor 2011 because it still has the Japanese transmission with the vin tag . 2012 and 13 transmission computers were much more fussier to except a different transmission if you didn’t swap the ROM. Another interesting thing is in 2013 there was no longer any sub woofer. My personal thought is a real transmission doesn’t shift itself however in the Kizashi , the manual transmission was just pulled off the shelf from the Sx4 stock pile thus has the economy car gearing , the economy car clutch feel and the shifter feels quite vague but yet gets the job done. I think they could’ve done so much more with the manual shift along with offering the all-wheel-drive behind it giving it closer gear ratios stiffer clutch and shorten up the shifter and improve the feel of the shifter. I think for the true Kizashi experience it needs to be a GTS or SLS front wheel drive 2011 or 2012 using the paddle shifters. As far as the CVT transmission being fragile, I don’t think that’s completely true. There is only one part of that transmission that is common to failure and that is easily changed over to long pin and is quite durable after that. I’m expecting 200k plus out of mine. As for the Pennsylvania rear alignment problem , I have ways of correcting that also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly, I agree about the manual transmission lacking a bit in the "sporty" department. It's not bad but I agree the throws are a bit long and imprecise compared to other manual trans found in comparable sedans with a sporty aspiration. I came from a 2005 Mazda3 S 5-speed and about the only thing I strongly preferred about the Mazda over the Kizashi was the shifter. It was significantly better in every way and far less likely to result in a mis-shift in spirited driving. While the clutch feel on the Kizashi is "soft" and not very sporty, it's better IMO for everyday driving as it's less tiring and just easier to use. The Mazda's was more precise but firmer and just tiring in stop-and-go traffic I often found myself in at the time. While the Kizashi's MT may not hold up to comparable FWD sedans like the Acura TSX and Mazda6, I think the overall package made up for it. The chassis was quite good for the class and the vehicle offered a ride that was refined yet sporty for a good value. The MT allowed the car to be lighter and eliminated the lag of the CVT, shaving seconds off of a 0 to 60 time over the CVT models. I think Motor Trend or Car and Driver clocked the FWD MT about 2 seconds faster to 60 MPH over an AWD model. That's a huge difference for the same car.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
AirRideFan

Man... Sooo - let me clear up the confusion---- but first may I ask you, then, Old Tech: ARE YOU IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM TRYING TO BUY ANY 6-SPEED MANUAL KIZASHI'S --- despite the trim level, at the current moment, or would you be interested?

Also--- I am so impressed with how reliable and easy to operate (other than the semi-excessive delay when shifting from 2012's gear selector from P to R / R to D / P to D, etc)
I bought mine in 2016 with 36k miles-- and the CVT was making a slight whine for a few months--- but it went away shortly after--- and I just drive it the same--- as the CVT was meant to be driven-- nothing weird-- and it's honestly been really great. The AWD is awesome as EXTRA insurance that I'll make it up my driveway, even covered with 3-4-inches of snow.... and right now--- my car's just about to hit 144k miles. Not sure if the previous owner changed the cvt filter and (partial) fluid --- did a drain & fill or not...but I haven't touched it. And it's concerting. Also--- I made a few mistakes --- as far scraping the underneath and cracking my rear bumper cover (RK Sport rear diffuser COULD possibly cover the damge- but I'd still know it's there and being bothered by it) ha

Basically--- The reason I'm asking you guys about the years--- is because I'm considering swapping my AWD for either a manual trans FWD model or even another CVT model (but purposely getting FWD instead--- just to save the added weight.) But I don't know.

I'd like to 'set the clock back' on my Kizashi ownership--- and buy a MINTY one--- with less miles - pref Sport GTS (FWD) ... or Sport GTS / SLS (FWD) 6-speed manual.

I really appreciate your feedback though--- you guys are the best. I respect your thoughts about the trade-up (or trade-"down"...lol... if I buy a FWD CVT and lose the Stability Control that is standard only the AWD/CVT model)

And I was under the impression I'd be A LOT happier with a 6-speed manual--- but then after watching this video (review the ULTRA rare "Sport SLS" FWD manual model)--- they still said it did 0-60 in 8.5. What gives ? Either way--- it's gotta still be a lot more fun than my CVT--- and that's cool that the 6-speed is more of an 'economy'-box than a SPORTY gearbox--- because my Kizashi is my EVERY DAY CAR --- DAILY DRIVER, and I drive at least 15k-18k miles/year--- some times a good bit more, even.
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

AirRideFan

Woodie wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:49 am The only substantial difference is the transmission. CVT is fragile like glass, manual is bulletproof. Add in less weight, more power, better control over what the car is doing.
I know Suzuki's lil 2.4L ... 185hp J24B engine is NOT a 'performance' engine- but it's gotta be a LITTLE better than the credit (or lack-of) these two people are giving to it in this review (of the top model Sport SLS w/ 6-speed manual) -

The one crazy thing is, it really doesn't appear to handle as well as my AWD (despite the CVT) does... my camber bolts are seized/rusted so my neg camber can't be corrected.... but due to it being like that, combined with the added weight (maybe?) and the stability control that Suzuki mentions in the brochure-- only available on the AWD models--- mine def can take a corner better than the lighter-curb weight FWD Sport SLS with manual trans in that -somewhat "bogus" review- ha Video link I pasted above ^
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

Woodie

I don't know what cars they're comparing it against when they say it's sluggish and griping about the cornering. Maybe theirs came with a shitty batch of tires. Or maybe it's that filthy "test track" they're using.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency