Winter Driving

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
vwoom

Moto wrote:What you are describing is engine breaking, and if it is slippery it is almost always a better idea than hitting the breaks. Engine breaking is a large part of what makes manual transmission cars superior in the snow...
It's engine braking...

And no, "breaking" (as in invalidate, ruin, fracture, violate, etc) your Kizashi engine is not a good thing.
Moto
Site Admin

ops...

I'm going to say I was slightly intoxicated when I wrote that, but I do spell like a first grader.
fixed my original post now. :)
KIZAWDinKC

It's February 2011, we got quite a bit of snow dumped on us here in Kansas City. My Kiz performed pretty well during my 13 mile drive from work in about 6-8 inches of snow. Although, i did see quite a few other cars that did not have AWD moving through the snow pretty well. They must have had excellent tires. Anyhow, the next morning after even more snow, I had at least 12 inches on my street. I live on a hill. I had parked backwards in my garage to make a little bit of a running start out of my driveway in the attempt to drive up my street through the snow so I can get to work. My neighbors probably thought I was stupid. Unfortunately I only made it about 8 feet from my driveway before the Kiz just sat and spun with my AWD turned on. I put the car in reverse and backed into my driveway and decided not to bother with it after my one half-hearted attempt. Oh well, at least I wasn't stuck. It's possible I might have been able to make it if I had gotten a good running start from down the street rather than starting right onto a the hill, but I didn't have that option.

Anyhow, I'd probably have to say that the Kizashi AWD is probably slightly better than just having a regular sedan with good snow tires. Not to mention, the Kiz's 18 inch Dunlops aren't exactly a good snow tire anyhow. The AWD definitely helps with those tires. The Kiz has its limitations because it sits fairly low to the ground. It isn't going to go through deep snow, but it was fun testing it to see if it could!

I'd like to see a side by side snow performance comparison of the Kiz with a sedan that has good snow tires to see if there would be much of a difference between the two.

2010 Kizashi GTS AWD
Ronzuki

There is no substitution for ground clearance. The bottom of the Kiz is like a baking pan, once you get on top of the snow you're done as you experienced. No tire is going to overcome that. 6-8" of the heavy stuff is what appears to be the limit of the car's ability to push through and dig down to find traction w/ the AWD.

I was concerned about this when I traded the Rubicon in, but figured for how often we get those kinds of snow, it's just as well I stay home until roads get a plow pass.

That said, the traction, control and handling of this car in the snow range that it's capable of handling, including icy roads, is far superior to the Jeep. (and way more comfortable inside :mrgreen: )
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
tigerbangs54

Massachusetts has had one of the snowiest winters in it's history, and my AWD Kizashi SE goes through it all like a real winter weasel. The snow is so high in my neighborhood that you can't even see the houses from the side of the road from inside the car, and they are notoriously bad about plowing our side street, but getting around has been a piece of cake. I have to give the Kizashi AWD two thumbs up for winter driving, even with it's 'performance' Dunlop tires.
CCS77

KIZAWDinKC wrote:It's February 2011, we got quite a bit of snow dumped on us here in Kansas City. My Kiz performed pretty well during my 13 mile drive from work in about 6-8 inches of snow. Although, i did see quite a few other cars that did not have AWD moving through the snow pretty well. They must have had excellent tires. Anyhow, the next morning after even more snow, I had at least 12 inches on my street. I live on a hill. I had parked backwards in my garage to make a little bit of a running start out of my driveway in the attempt to drive up my street through the snow so I can get to work. My neighbors probably thought I was stupid. Unfortunately I only made it about 8 feet from my driveway before the Kiz just sat and spun with my AWD turned on. I put the car in reverse and backed into my driveway and decided not to bother with it after my one half-hearted attempt. Oh well, at least I wasn't stuck. It's possible I might have been able to make it if I had gotten a good running start from down the street rather than starting right onto a the hill, but I didn't have that option.

Anyhow, I'd probably have to say that the Kizashi AWD is probably slightly better than just having a regular sedan with good snow tires. Not to mention, the Kiz's 18 inch Dunlops aren't exactly a good snow tire anyhow. The AWD definitely helps with those tires. The Kiz has its limitations because it sits fairly low to the ground. It isn't going to go through deep snow, but it was fun testing it to see if it could!

I'd like to see a side by side snow performance comparison of the Kiz with a sedan that has good snow tires to see if there would be much of a difference between the two.

2010 Kizashi GTS AWD

I'm in KC too...I can't wait for more snow!!!
2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS AWD
legion

I'll tell you a little about the Russian winter operation;). In my region -43 frosts not uncommon, and the second trouble-deep sneg.S first fight since: having a garage in a better position, but most sets of autonomous heating boilers "Webasto". Warming up engine lasts 40 minutes, the temperature rises to 70 gradusov.Vremya run the boiler installed by taymer.Dopolnitelno alarm system with auto start install did not, I do not want to spoil the factory. After work, Webasto run the engine and after 10 minutes in the cabin comfortable temperatura.Avtomobil ready to use:). My Kizashi - front-wheel drive, and clearance for the Russian roads are not adapted, but nevertheless it does not interfere with my enjoyment of driving. Before it was the VW Tiguan, nor any discrimination, compared to VW, net.Segodnyashnim happy state of affairs
CCS77

Brrrrrrrrr :shock:
2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS AWD
WESHOOT2

There's about a foot of new snow around my car since I parked at work.
It will easily conquer it, and the 35 mile ride home will be serene.
Until I hammer it........