Wrapping up 2021 with the Kizashi

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
KuroNekko

Below is an image of the interior trim bubbling I mentioned. Not the greatest pic as I was against the sun, but you can see what I'm talking about. I wonder if anyone else has this in their Kizashi. Mine started in late 2018.
KIMG5743.JPG
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KlutzNinja

Oof. That looks weird. I’ve had the same problem now that I see what you mean, but I didn’t know it was the same problem. In my case it’s only around the shifter; I figured that had a silver layer adhered to the plastic, and the other silver trim on the dash was actually silver colored plastic.

Not sure why this happened around the shifter and nowhere else. I saw the damage on the bottom when I first checked out my future car almost four years ago, and I thought it was from the previous owner’s abuse, like the abraded leather on the steering wheel and etc. There's a little spot higher up that I noticed only tonight; I think that’s more recent.
Attachments
293FBACA-6443-4FE6-83FA-F599BE6BB3FD.jpeg
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
WESHOOT2

None of my four did that.
KuroNekko

WESHOOT2 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:15 pm None of my four did that.
I believe it's related to the heat. While those of us in the Southwest don't have to worry about rust, we have sun damage to worry about like this.
KlutzNinja

Forgot to add that my bubbling is year-round, not seasonal :lol:. In my case it may be from physical effects and not temperature. Although how exactly you physically get the trim to bubble up like this, I’m not sure. Maybe harsh cleaning solutions, cleaning equipment, or techniques can cause it, too.
KuroNekko

KlutzNinja wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:32 pm Forgot to add that my bubbling is year-round, not seasonal :lol:. In my case it may be from physical effects and not temperature. Although how exactly you physically get the trim to bubble up like this, I’m not sure. Maybe harsh cleaning solutions, cleaning equipment, or techniques can cause it, too.
The bubbling on my dash trim is certainly related to heat. The bubbles go away when the interior of the vehicle is quite hot like parked in the summer time. The problem is that the bubbles reappear once the vehicle interior cools down. I think what happened is that the adhesive has weakened over time due to heat and won't properly adhere the trim coating to the plastic beneath when the coating hardens from cooling.
The manual shifter base is largely a synthetic leather boot so no worries about trim pieces there.
KlutzNinja

Yet another perk of having a manual transmission Kizashi :lol: