Cracked Tank

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
cahd7336

Hello…….just looking for any info on the gas tank issues/recall and any advice or source for a new tank.

Thanks
bdleonard

A copy of the recall notice can be found here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/R ... 9-7947.pdf

You can also look up the recall notice and find your nearest Suzuki service center on the suzukiauto site: https://www.suzukiauto.com/

You should contact Suzuki, or your nearest service center and provide them the VIN of your vehicle to determine if the recall has been performed. If it has not, you can have them schedule you to get the recall work done and get a free replacement of the tank and the ancillary components described in the recall bulletin.
Ronzuki

Is yours actually cracked? I haven't heard of anyone actually experiencing the issue. But then again, I haven't logged in here in forever.

Anywho... I'm on something like my 50th recall notice, and at this point, don't expect it to ever need the over-complicated "recall" done. IMHO, nothing good is going to come from having an ex-Suzuki dealer's non-factory trained 'mechanic' ripping in to my AWD car at dealer warranty rates. The number of ancillary parts not covered by the recall that will be required to be replaced (IMHO) while this 'fix' is being performed is too much for my blood. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That said, I keep my Kiz in the garage for the PA winters w/ the tank full and the gas cap loose. So for me, the expansion contraction issue (if the vent is, or gets, blocked) causing the tank to crack is a moot point. My fair weather spring/summertime driving requires weekly fill-ups, and I never let it go below 1/2-1/3 tank level specifically to minimize the chances of the tank getting "sucked down" too far. I had the very first 'spider vent fix' recall done eons ago and that was it. Your experiences and habits may vary.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Obama_is_hot6

cahd7336 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:38 pm Hello…….just looking for any info on the gas tank issues/recall and any advice or source for a new tank.

Thanks
yeah i went to whitebear Mitsubishi in minnesota to get mine done
YUUUURT
Obama_is_hot6

Ronzuki wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:21 pm Is yours actually cracked? I haven't heard of anyone actually experiencing the issue. But then again, I haven't logged in here in forever.

Anywho... I'm on something like my 50th recall notice, and at this point, don't expect it to ever need the over-complicated "recall" done. IMHO, nothing good is going to come from having an ex-Suzuki dealer's non-factory trained 'mechanic' ripping in to my AWD car at dealer warranty rates. The number of ancillary parts not covered by the recall that will be required to be replaced (IMHO) while this 'fix' is being performed is too much for my blood. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That said, I keep my Kiz in the garage for the PA winters w/ the tank full and the gas cap loose. So for me, the expansion contraction issue (if the vent is, or gets, blocked) causing the tank to crack is a moot point. My fair weather spring/summertime driving requires weekly fill-ups, and I never let it go below 1/2-1/3 tank level specifically to minimize the chances of the tank getting "sucked down" too far. I had the very first 'spider vent fix' recall done eons ago and that was it. Your experiences and habits may vary.
lmao no way you actually got that many recals? i looked mine up and i only had like 4 :skull:
YUUUURT
SAEED_KIZZY

IMO if Kizashi working fine without this recall done after 11 years why bother?
Woodie

Obama_is_hot6 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:49 am
Ronzuki wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:21 pm Is yours actually cracked? I haven't heard of anyone actually experiencing the issue. But then again, I haven't logged in here in forever.

lmao no way you actually got that many recals? i looked mine up and i only had like 4 :skull:
He means 50th recall notice about the gas tank. I get one every two months or so.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

I'll offer the counterargument as I got the recall done a while back. What any Kizashi owner should do depends on how they weigh out the pros vs. the cons:

I got the recall done as I did the first time related to the issue. Basically, the gas tank venting design allowed for a certain but common spider to possibly enter the gas tank vent, form a web, and block the venting of the gas tank. The risk of this was the failed release of pressure, resulting in possibly a cracked gas tank. The first recall implemented what was basically a filter cover to the vent to prevent the spiders from entering the vent tube, from what I understand. However, it was later discovered that this new filter cover was too restrictive with dirt and was possibly allowing dirt build-up to possibly block the vent. The second recall actually replaces the entire gas tank with a revised design that accounts for the design flaw of the first. The fix also replaces the filler neck, cap, and possibly other parts related to the gas tank.

Now, I totally understand the logic that Ronzuki has about concerns of people messing around with drivetrain parts, especially for an AWD model. I personally had a minor exhaust rattle at the time and the recall work fixed that as they had to remove the exhaust to replace the gas tank. About the only thing I noticed they did wrong was not replace one plastic clip in the rear wheel well. However, the car came back better than before due to the fix of the rattle. I also noticed the new gas cap, filler neck, and associated parts.

I live in Southern California which is a desert climate. I sometimes drive on dirt roads to campsites and hiking trailheads. For me, the recall fix was worth it to prevent the issue with spiders and then dirt. It's my opinion that those who plan to keep their Kizashis a long time and daily drive it would benefit from the recall that actually puts an improved gas tank into the car. My Kizashi is my daily driver and also the one I drive for my work duties. While I likely won't keep the car a few years from now due to changing needs and interests, I need my Kizashi to be as reliable and durable as possible now and in the future. This is why I opted for the recall. I also figured that while there are Authorized Service Centers under contract, their locations might change due to the timeline of their obligation. Suzuki left the US market a little over 10 years ago so parts and support may fizzle out in the future. Basically, the issue might be much harder to deal with in 5 years than today.

I have yet to do the passenger seat sensor recall but plan to soon. Thankfully, I now live very close to the only Suzuki Authorized Service Center in my county.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Obama_is_hot6

yeah lol when i got mine redone they told me that i had the seat sensor one too and they fixed that right then and there along with my tank so I got lucky. because the nearest place that can do stuff like that as per my previous comment is whitebear Mitsubishi which is like 6 hour round trip. not like it matters... i dont have anyone to sit in my passenger seat anyways haha
YUUUURT