Starting problem in cold weather: Ignition issues? Solutions?

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
davidjohnn

Hello fellow Kizashi enthusiasts! I've been experiencing difficulty starting my Kizashi in cold weather, and I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a similar issue or has knowledge about the ignition system. I've noticed that on colder days, it takes multiple attempts to start the engine, and sometimes it doesn't start at all. I'm curious if there are any known issues with the Kizashi's ignition system in cold temperatures and what steps I can take to resolve this problem. Any insights, troubleshooting tips, or recommended maintenance procedures would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!
old tech

The first important thing is making sure the car has a good battery and not more than four years old. The next thing is you don’t mention whether the starter is turning when it’s failing to start or if you’re getting any messages on the display. There is a fairly common problem of the electronic steering lock, failing not letting the starter work and this happens in cooler weather more often. Some, owners are disconnecting the drivers door switch in an effort to keep the steering lock from locking and then unlocking. this cycling takes a toll on the starter circuit inside of the lock. The real fix is to change out the lock with a new one , but it’s kind of expensive and the steering column needs to be removed to do this. I’ve never had a customer that wanted to fix it correctly . Everybody’s wanting to take the cheaper route. You can hook up a starter push button switch inside a little coin box to the left of the steering wheel and override the whole troublesome circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KuroNekko

davidjohnn wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:58 am Hello fellow Kizashi enthusiasts! I've been experiencing difficulty starting my Kizashi in cold weather, and I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a similar issue or has knowledge about the ignition system. I've noticed that on colder days, it takes multiple attempts to start the engine, and sometimes it doesn't start at all. I'm curious if there are any known issues with the Kizashi's ignition system in cold temperatures and what steps I can take to resolve this problem. Any insights, troubleshooting tips, or recommended maintenance procedures would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!
This is classic dying battery behavior. If your battery is more than a few years old, time for a new one. If you want a battery to last longer, be more reliable, and not leak at all, (and willing to pay the price), get an AGM battery.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)