Navigation question

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
Riddler

New to the site. How do the 2011s look with the navigation? I haven't seen it in person, but I saw one picture and it looked pretty bad. I was hoping the picture I saw wasn't accurate. I've been unable to find any other pictures of the navigation unit in the car.
Riddler

It can't be a good sign that nobody has responded to my inquiry. The GPS must be bad.
Moto
Site Admin

I have only ever seen a few photos of kizashis with Nav systems. I don't think nav is overly common on the kizashi. I do know that the nav is touch-screen so unless you have seen one that is actually on it isn't very impressive.
chazyouwin

Saw the nav on a brochure at the dealer in Green Brook, NJ, and thought it looked fine. But all the cars they showed me didn't have it in there. I prefer my own unit; wasn't looking for one. Best of luck.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
Riddler

Thanks for the replies. I am surprised that nobody on this site has a car with a nav in it. I know people who refuse to buy a car without a built-in nav because the portable navs can lose signal.
chazyouwin

That may be, but I like to upgrade my Garmin nav systems every couple of years. Harder to do with a built in. Have seen some relatively late model Mercedes et al. with some nasty looking nav systems.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
Riddler

Finally found a video showing the nav on:

[youtube][/youtube]

@1:37
VicLikesCars2

Riddler wrote:Thanks for the replies. I am surprised that nobody on this site has a car with a nav in it. I know people who refuse to buy a car without a built-in nav because the portable navs can lose signal.
Sorry, Riddler, but no Nav for my car either. I'm old school... I prefer a simple map or Road Atlas. I just want the basic car ( 10 Kizashi "S" with 6sp man.) without Blue Tooth, Sat radio, or computer-music connections. If I had a moon roof, I wouldn't use it. (I've had several sun/moon roofs on other cars, and momma's KIA Forte Koup SX has one that she doesn't use much.) All the electronics just get to be too much.
rehmbo

Here's a picture of the navigation system.
Attachments
MY11 Kizashi Navigation
MY11 Kizashi Navigation
havinfun

I am not a fan of built-in navigation systems. They are almost always significantly higher in price than an after-market unit, and at least the units I am most familiar with (Toyota) require purchase of a disk to update the software, and the disk updates are about $250 each. Further, on my Toyota, the navigation touch screen needlessly complicates the operation of the stereo by nesting common control functions (like CD selection) so that non-techies really struggle to perform even simple things with the stereo, setting the clock, etc. Further, the Toyota nav system won't let you input to it unless the car is not moving (presumably for safety). This makes the Toyota unit frustrating to use by the passenger to check for restaurants, gas stations, or alternative routes while you are driving. I cannot speak specifically about the Kizashi nav system on this issue, however, and would like to hear how easy others find its functionality.

On the plus side, the nav screen doubles as a screen for the rear-vision camera. I really like that feature on our Toyota.

On Kizashi's with nav I have test driven, I have noticed that the screen is recessed into the dash (unlike the stereo head unit which is somewhat rounded and "flows" with the contour of the dash). In my view, the nav system looks like an after-market add-on.