Fog lights - always on

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
kmr296

Read a post here:
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... t=+Disable

Guy a couple posts down shows a way to make the DRLs stay off (i didn't try it yet). It would be sweet if there was a way to keep the fog lights on when the high beams come on. (Stock they shut off)

Any ideas?
Ronzuki

This is something I've been wanting to look in to also.

On the Heep I traded, the trick was to pull the fog light relay out under the hood and clip one of the relay's coil power prongs off at the bottom. This prevented the high beam circuit from energizing the relay and opening the fog light circuit. The normally closed fog light relay contacts remained permanently 'normally closed'. Obviously, every car's engineering and wiring is different.

I'll have to go through the schematics on this car to see how the circuit works. Give me a few days....or maybe someone else will figure it out sooner.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Ronzuki

A quick look at he schematics shows that the 'BCM' controls all the lighting. I'll assume for now that BCM stands for Body Control Module. This manual is difficult, painful, to navigate to say the least.

Positive power (+12VDC) is supplied to one side of Front Fog Relay's coil when the Tail Light Relay energizes (turning on your parking lights). Yes, the schematics show Rear Fog lights and even a headlightwasher as well! The other side of the Front Fog Relay's coil ties in to the mysterious BCM (black box) which, no doubt, interupts the 0VDC side of the relay coil when either the fog switch is off, or, the high beams are activated. Negative logic in my world and not really a good idea, buy hey, I'm not an automotive controls engineer. The fog light switch also ties in to the BCM. Quick and dirty method would be to disconnect the green wire between the fog coil and the BCM and take the BCM end to chasis ground. Fogs would most likely come on any time you turn on your parking lights, period. Doing this would also most likely render the fog like switch itself useless because the BCM would no longer be disabling the circuit either by high beam function or the on/off switch.

Disclaimer: I have not done this (nor will I) and do not make any claims that this will, or will not work, not cause any damage or not void your warranty. Making any electrical mods to you vehicle is done at your own risk.

Rather lawyerly sounding eh?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
AlexRuiz

It seems to be pretty straight forward.

The coil driver in the BCM (that yes, it is body control module) engages the relay for the fog lamps. However, the power to the relay coil comes from the the parklamps relay (tail lamps) meaning that the fog lamps will only come when you turn exterior lights on (parklamps or headlamps) AND you press the fog lamp switch. Because the BCM is monitoring the headlamps position (low beam or high beam) as well as the fog lamp switch, it will disable the fog lamps if you go to high beam.

Bypassing the BCM in the coil side of the fog lamps relay means you will always have fog lamps on IF you have illumination on. The foglamps will be off if you have exterior lighting off.

The reasons to have active low signals are voltage regulation circuitry sizing in the modules (if you sink current instead of providing it, your voltage regulators can be reduced in size) and failure mode (a short to battery is less likely to happen than a short to ground)

Alex
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT