2011 Vs 2010 SLS

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
msr

I took a quick test drive on 2011 SLS. Car was excellent. As everyone here pointed, the initial accelaration was slow. One thing I noticed was, the engine smell. I only drove for around 2 miles on local roads. (Dealership said I would have to come back if I want to take it on freeway). I could smell like engine burning. Granted I floored the pedal when ever i could but given that i only drove for 2 miles, it kind of scared me. Is this normal on this car? Do you guys notice this? Thanks
msr

I took a quick test drive on 2011 SLS. Car was excellent. As everyone here pointed, the initial accelaration was slow. One thing I noticed was, the engine smell. I only drove for around 2 miles on local roads. (Dealership said I would have to come back if I want to take it on freeway). I could smell like engine burning. Granted I floored the pedal when ever i could but given that i only drove for 2 miles, it kind of scared me. Is this normal on this car? Do you guys notice this? Thanks
Firefly

msr wrote: I noticed was, the engine smell. I could smell like engine burning. Granted I floored the pedal when ever i could but given that i only drove for 2 miles, it kind of scared me. Is this normal on this car? Do you guys notice this? Thanks
I didn't notice anything like that on my test drive, but I think I read in a review somewhere that the ventilation system allowed exhaust smells from OTHER vehicles to get into the cabin easily.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
EnfinityX

msr wrote:I took a quick test drive on 2011 SLS. Car was excellent. As everyone here pointed, the initial accelaration was slow. One thing I noticed was, the engine smell. I only drove for around 2 miles on local roads. (Dealership said I would have to come back if I want to take it on freeway). I could smell like engine burning. Granted I floored the pedal when ever i could but given that i only drove for 2 miles, it kind of scared me. Is this normal on this car? Do you guys notice this? Thanks
i too know nothing of the sort. I never floored the pedal though. it is my car after all and flooring it before break in could cause problems. i did take the tester to 4500 rpm though from 2 rapid downshifts but once again no smells. i wouldnt be overly worried. if anything just dont buy THAT particular car. I dont have this problem nor to my knowledge has any occurrence been documented.
TheHolyGhost

It's possible it was just the smell from the Cat and new engine parts if you were beating on a brand new, unbroken in, car. You might not want to buy that particular car anyway, I'm sure that you aren't the only one driving it like that :-).
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
msr

Thanks guys. The smell came from the car engine. I opened the hood to make sure. The dealer also tole mt that the smell is because the car has very few miles on it. I am planning on taking another test drive on a manual.
chazyouwin

This reminds me of my 2002 XL-7 purchase, which had a smell attributed to something they put on the cars for shipment purposes from Japan (retarding rust in the ocean environment seems to be the explanation ringing a bell). No idea whether that is the actual cause.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
gmoney91

I wish Suzuki would sell accessories of some of the upgrades that they added to the 2011 Sport models so that if you bought a 2010 or have a lower 2011, you could up upgrade.
AlphaLima

msr wrote:Thanks guys. The smell came from the car engine. I opened the hood to make sure. The dealer also tole mt that the smell is because the car has very few miles on it. I am planning on taking another test drive on a manual.

I have a 2011 Sport GTS AWD that I purchased earlier this month. I can attest to the engine and exhaust giving off a funny chemical smell for the first several hundred miles. It was very noticeable standing outside the car after driving it. (I never noticed the smell while in the car and on the road). My wife even made a comment about it. I just broke 1000 miles yesterday and and the smell is definitely not there anymore.