Gas and Ethanol Content

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
VicLikesCars2

KizashiSLS11: "Has anyone tried higher octanes?"

I have... I use BP's 93 almost exclusively. I read in the O/M that 87 octane, as mentioned above, is the "minimum" acceptable rating. This implies, but does not state, that higher is better.

It is my considered opinion that, after 6 months and 6K miles of experience, that this 2.4 engine has an idle quality superior to any other 4-cyl. I've ever owned, AND, it is certainly the equal to any 6-cyl I've had (Honda 3.0; Hyunda/Kia 2.7 and 3.5).

Then, there is the gas mileage. I know you can't use the word A/H here, but I drive like an A/H quite a bit of the time. This car is genuinely fun to drive! My mileage, figured by gallons into the tank divided by actual miles driven, is consistently 29.+ mixed to 31+ highway. My all-time (and one-time) best is 33.088 mpg.

Is burning 93 worth it?? I think it is.
KizashiSLS11

Thanks for the recommendation. We only have Shell and Chevron stations mostly in my area. I can only think of one BP station in the area. I normally use Shell. I'll try Shell's 93 the next time I fill up.
AlexRuiz

Well, after VicLikesCars2 recommendation, I took the plunge and fed the Kizzy 93 octane today. I will report back on how the car behaves.
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT
VicLikesCars2

"we only have Shell..."

Shell works for me, too. My conversion to BP 93 came about because my local Shell station was one of the first in this area to go with the 10% ethanol mix.
Wanting to avoid that stuff, if possible, I tried BP because theirs didn't add in the ethanol YET. Then, as a creature of habit, I just usually stopped at BP and have continued to do so even though they have it now, also.

If you talk about using premium (93) much, get ready for some wierd things to be said to you. As example, I had a 98 Accord Coupe with a check-engine light on. (This service ticket is dated 12-22-99 Lokey Honda) The following is word-for-word taken from that service ticket:

Customer states check engine light is on.
Code P0304/6 Misfire on #4 & #6 cylinder. Service bulletin
did not apply. SPOKE WITH CUSTOMER WAS USING 93 OCTANE
WHICH IS A NO NO. Explained to customer to use correct
octane rating for vehicle.

I went home and called Shell Oil, Technical Assistance. I spoke with someone who said: "I'm getting a lot of these calls from Honda owners. The problem is that Honda has a run of bad computers and they don't want to fix them."

I went to Honda, had a loud argument with the SA, and finally got a new computer installed (under warranty). The problem never again happened.
The idea that being too good to your car will cause trouble is a load of hooey!
(Please note the highly technical language: "...is a no no...")

If you want to have a copy of the Service Order, just to know for sure it's real, I'll mail you a copy by snail-mail (I don't go beyond basics with computers)
Hawkzilla

Out of curiosity, I decided to drive as conservative as possible for 48 hours to see what kind of efficiency my Kiz could get on 87 octane, no ethanol. This is city driving only, with plenty of stops at long lights, etc. I never let the RPM get over 3,000 when accelerating and drove no more than 5 mph over the speed limit. The results were...

23.7 mpg (very respectable IMO for strictly city driving)

This is easily 4-5 mpg higher than when I drive aggressive, and to my surprise, I was rarely being passed by other cars. I think with the price of gas where it is now, my aggressive driving days are over for the time being. 8-)
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic