Should I buy a Kizashi? General Q's

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
beastykato

I just want some opinions on whether or not I should purchase a Kizashi. I am 23 and currently have a 15mo. old son so I'm looking to upgrade out of my 2 door Honda Civic and into something larger, 4 door, sporty and semi-luxurious.

I commute ~30 miles to work everyday and mileage is fairly important to me. Are you guys getting good gas mileage from your cars? I'm planning on the manual tranny since I've heard such bad things about the CVT. I do some very spirited driving on occasion and that includes launches from a standstill so if the CVT lag issue is that apparent I don't think it's for me. With that said does the AWD really enhance performance at all? I live in PA and AWD would be nice but not absolutely necessary. I would like to go AWD/RWD for my next car though so I am contemplating going with the CVT. ..... AWD + Manual would be heaven =(

Is there any real word on a performance version of the car coming in 2012?

The paint chipping issue... is it really that bad? It seems like a lot of people are having this issue but what I would really like to know is how many of you are NOT having a paint issue?

If you could do it over again would you buy a Kizashi? What about vs a more upscale used car? For instance I have a 2008 Acura TL near me for $20,500 w/ 36,000mi.
Ronzuki

beasty...welcome.

To answer some of your questions:

The big CVT 'lag' concern, well, standstill launching and good gas mileage don't go together, so if launching is a priority, then don't buy one. However as has been mentioned many times in the past here, once you get past the 'lag', the car moves quite well, handles like nothing else and that includes in PA winter. Flip the AWD on on a rainy day, and you won't be able to tell the difference between wet and dry as far as 'spirited' driving is concerned.

I commute around 30 miles a day as well (rural / semi-rural) and I am averaging 27-28 mpg on the dash-o-meter not really trying to attain high mpg, just driving and enjoying the car for what it can do. Real world gallons/mile calc at the pump has been consistantly @ 2.5-3 mpg less than the computer reports.

I'm not having 'the paint issue' any more so than any other vehicle I've owned in the last 10 years, and we get a lot of tar and chipping road surface reconditioning around here.

As far as used goes everyone has an opinion. Me, I don't get rid of a car that's behaving, only the ones w/ problems (like the Jeep I traded in on the Kiz). Buyer beware on that note.

hope this helps some with your decision, good luck in whatevere you decide.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
~tc~

The Kizashi is a fantastic car. Personally, mine does not seem to be as affected by the "lag" as many complain of.

The gas mileage is only "OK" IMHO. Like above, my commute is about 20 miles, and I get about 26 (both dashometer and calc at pump are about the same). Considering I'm coming from getting 13-15, I think it's great, though, but sometimes wish I had considered harder that VW TDI.

I would feel remiss, however, if I didn't bring up that at 23 with a kid, you may want to look hard at your financial situation and see if you can really afford a new car, as you will likely not be able to find any Kizashi used. My insurance literally doubled when I bought this new car.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
nytq

I will say this is a great car for the money. I have a 2011 SE AWD Metallic Silver.

1) The lag issue that keeps comming up. If you want a rocket of the starting line, look elseware. I dont' even think the manual will give you what you are looking for without doing all the mods that are available. I have put in the SRI and a forced air cooling fan feeding cool air to the intake. I do notice the change in "gear" or pulley that just seems at the wrong time. What I've realized is that it's like a manual when you shift before time. That said I've trained my foot to just push a little more when it's changing. No more lag. LOL. I live in NJ. The AWD was a must. I love it.

2) Paint Chipping. I had alot withing the first 2 weeks. Had to get Suzuki Corp involved and the car was reapainted. It still chipped a week later. I would recommend some kind of front end protection. I happen to put a mask on when its dry out. And get some touchup paint.

3) Mileage. Off the lot it was getting no more then 25 avg on the computer. Probably more like 20-25 real. After first oil change and the mods, i'm getting 27-31 mixed. Real is 25+ consistantly. I put about 70 miles on a day.

It's a really fun car. It looks great. Rides great. Features are all worth more than the money. But that really only applies if you want AWD. You can get a dozen other faster FWD cars for the same money.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
AlexRuiz

Welcome to the forums!
beastykato wrote:I just want some opinions on whether or not I should purchase a Kizashi. I am 23 and currently have a 15mo. old son so I'm looking to upgrade out of my 2 door Honda Civic and into something larger, 4 door, sporty and semi-luxurious.
Absolutely, buy the Kizashi
beastykato wrote: I commute ~30 miles to work everyday and mileage is fairly important to me. Are you guys getting good gas mileage from your cars? I'm planning on the manual tranny since I've heard such bad things about the CVT. I do some very spirited driving on occasion and that includes launches from a standstill so if the CVT lag issue is that apparent I don't think it's for me.
Fuel economy in my case has been decent. Trip computer routinely reports 29, 30 or even 32 for a whole tank. That is mixed driving, meaning going to work 17 miles with 6 of those city traffic and a few stop lights, and the occasional stop somewhere else. The car is awesome on the highway, as it has no trouble reaching 32-34 mpg cruising at 80mph, and some guys here cruising at lower speeds have made it as high as 37-38mpg. The car is good in the highway because of efficiencies at minimizing losses (aero, it even has bottom plastic panels) But the car is not light, and the J24B is kind of voracious, so any smash of the throttle burns more than I would like, hence the low mpgs in city. Be assured, however, than any new car is very similar, safety and comfort features are heavy.
I also feel the ethanol and additives content variability between regions and brands is a huge factor on why some guys are doing great while some others are doing awful in mpgs.

Performance, I see you are considering the MT, and I say absolutely. I have driven both (MT and CVT), and they are 2 different cars. The MT is much faster off the line, and if you disable traction control you can even burn some rubber. No, it is not a dragster, but it will beat most of what you will find at a stoplight. The engine loves to rev, give it some love with the MT ;)
beastykato wrote:Is there any real word on a performance version of the car coming in 2012?

The paint chipping issue... is it really that bad? It seems like a lot of people are having this issue but what I would really like to know is how many of you are NOT having a paint issue?
The turbo might be coming as production for 2013. The hybrid is surely coming, but I don't know if that is 2012 or 2013.

Paint chipping seems also very dependent on color. My case I have just 2 spots in the rear right fender right next at the door intersection (trouble spot) They were there when I got the car, they are still there. The hood is showing quite a few minor chippings, but all of them are from rocks and debris that I can even hear, and are expected as the roads here are always under construction or with debris... :( No issue, any other car would have the problem on the hood
beastykato wrote:If you could do it over again would you buy a Kizashi? What about vs a more upscale used car? For instance I have a 2008 Acura TL near me for $20,500 w/ 36,000mi.
I would buy the Kizashi again in a heartbeat! Perfect size. My only regret was S trim level with MT is only white. The trim level I would have picked would be an SE if it had MT. I don't care for the sunroof in the GTS, and leather in the SLS would be nice but would have gone up too much. Memory seats, however, are almost a necessity as my wife always moves the mirrors as nevers gets them back to where they were. A Kizashi ice blue or deep blue with the tan interior and MT would have been awesome. I love the tan interior, yes, much easier to get dirty, but it has a much more immediate visual impact ;) If the turbo does come, I might get an SLS ice blue/deep blue with MT.

Alex

EDIT: Forgot to mention. A sporty car is much more than just how fast it launches off the line. The handling, braking, steering and transmission are equally important. The Kizashi handling and braking are awesome, the best you'll find in "sport sedan" south of a BMW 3 series. Steering is precise with good feedback in my eyes. 6 speed MT is precise, smooth and intuitive with decently short throws, and the clutch is perfectly weighted. Most of the magazines love the car, and the only compliant is that such fantastic chassis and dynamics need more engine.
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT
Firefly

I believe there have been some tweaks to the 2011 that have addressed some of the issues to a small extent.
You really should test drive one, though. That's what sold me.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
beastykato

I def agree about what makes a car sporty. I'm looking for a DD and don't expect this to be a race car but I do want to be able to have some spirited fun occasionally. I'm looking mainly for ride quality and handling in a quick car. If it gets close to 7 sec 0-60's that's nearly as fast as a Civic Si and is pretty good for this car IMO.

I'm currently getting ~35mpg in my Honda Civic but it has a little 1.8l 4-cyl. It's also a stick and I do some spirited driving in it too at least a few times every tank.

@ ~tc~: I'm in a pretty well off financial situation with my new job and the car payment should actually be less than what I'm paying now for my Civic, since I'll have my equity on trade-in. I really need a 4-door so I'm definitely getting something soon lol =P. You said your insurance doubled for this car? I can't understand why mine would double but I guess I'll have to check around. I'm currently paying 1000/yr for full coverage on my Civic and it's an '08.
~tc~

Probably because I went from insuring a '96 Chevy Impala SS (that insures as a Caprice) to a brand new, rare car with no significant cost/insurance history.

One thing I forgot to mention above is the rareness of this car - I have yet to see another one on the road, or even on a dealer lot. Mine is the only one ever sold by the dealer where I got it. The largest dealer in town has sold 7 (or so they say). In a city approaching 6 million people (metro area), that's RARE. I have personally seen more than 8 Lamborghinis around town.

That is good in that you won't see one on every corner, but it is bad in that if you need any parts they will probably have to order them(I have had good luck with oil filters, etc). Also, whoever works on it will probably never had worked on one before.

I was looking for pretty much the same requirements as you, and had narrowed it down to the Kizashi, Mini Countryman, and VW Jetta TDI. By the time you add any options to the Mini, it gets expensive - and they are everywhere now - so it came down to the Kizashi and the TDI, Kizashi was a little cheaper for the level of equipment, rode nicer, and a bit more unique, so I went that way.... When I fill up, I sometimes regret not getting the TDI, as they are frequently reported to greatly outperform their EPA ratings, getting 50+ MPG
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
chazyouwin

Test drive!! Methinks you should test drive a few models, including the MT, an AWD CVT, and a FWD CVT on a crowded road, in the twisties, and on the highway. You should of course test drive competitor vehicles in your price range (say a Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, maybe Hyundai Sonata).

Have no idea why any insurance would double - our premium is modest (2010 Kizashi ($1500 deductible) and two SVUs (liability only) for $1600 annual including PIP, two adult drivers over 25 unblemished records), in NJ with a name brand carrier (Travelers).

One thing to think about when a used vehicle, of course, is the remaining length and transferability of the warranty.

We have one of the colors (grey) and manuf. dates supposedly susceptible to paint chipping, and after 3000 miles on a variety of surfaces and highways, only a small pinhead chip on the hood (which may have been there when we bought it). No extra paint protection; rejected the dealer offer of Scotchguard over the whole car for about $300.

Would buy again; it is a very sweet vehicle and meets our needs.

For you? I don't know, but I suspect it could be something that gives you the right balance of sport and practicality. Eventually, of course, there's always a second car possibility for the driveway which might suit the relatively unmet need(s) better.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
msr

I only had the car for less than a week. So far I am happy with the purchage.
So far no paint chips. Again less than a week
I got 310 miles on 12 gallons of gas on my first tank. 50 - 50 city higway. I would say gas milage is below average for 4 cylinder. Its not bad but could be better.
I noticed heavy lag from 35 - 50. I suggest you testdrive and see if it is manageble. I was initially worried about this too but once I test drove this i could convince myself that I can live with it.
My insurance hasn't gone up. I had 04 Mustang GT before I am still paying the same (close to $100 per month)