Kizashi Club

Your Kizashi Owners Club and Forum 

The Kizashi should soon show up in Australia. We look forward to seeing members from your region.
 #25777  by SamirD
 Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:17 am
Most cars don't have problems such as ours with paint, so it's not normally an issue.

I've actually looked into wrapping vs painting a car--looks the same, costs the same, lasts the same, but is done a lot quicker and painlessly. 8-)
 #25832  by BxKizashiS
 Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:01 pm
Nice!!!!!... Ima have mine done in carbon fiber
 #25835  by murcod
 Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:26 am
Tamstaz, you had that special paint protection applied too- from memory? Do you reckon it's helped at all and how's it lasting?

PS: Do you do a lot of highway/ country road driving to get the chips?
 #27324  by Tamstaz
 Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:22 am
Hi sorry - just seen your post here David -
reply to your question, The paint protection is great -it makes the car look shinny all the time -and I must admit I have got a bit lazy with washing -so I put it through a lazer wash ( no touch) car wash. It comes up really well. I don't think its had that big of an impact on the chips - as I had the protection done days after getting the car.
I wasn't doing much highway driving before I had the wrap done -but now I'm driving freeway to work each day. The only difference I'm really noticing is how much less fuel I'm using. I'm getting 7.6l /100k which is better than the 8 -9 it was sitting on in suburban traffic.
 #27329  by BxKizashiS
 Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:30 pm
Nice!, i would so do this!.. im thinking bout carbon fiber wrapping my hood but i was not too. If it aint real CB then dont do it lol.. IDK, but that roof vinyl i would definitely do, sick!
 #27457  by SamirD
 Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:17 pm
BxKizashiS wrote:Nice!, i would so do this!.. im thinking bout carbon fiber wrapping my hood but i was not too. If it aint real CB then dont do it lol.. IDK, but that roof vinyl i would definitely do, sick!
Real carbon fibre isn't all that great. It's super expensive and a lot more trouble for just the 'look'. Fibreglass can get you the same weight savings and even the look for a lot less. Hence why most hoods are actually fiberglass.
 #27472  by KuroNekko
 Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:05 am
SamirD wrote:
BxKizashiS wrote:Nice!, i would so do this!.. im thinking bout carbon fiber wrapping my hood but i was not too. If it aint real CB then dont do it lol.. IDK, but that roof vinyl i would definitely do, sick!
Real carbon fibre isn't all that great. It's super expensive and a lot more trouble for just the 'look'. Fibreglass can get you the same weight savings and even the look for a lot less. Hence why most hoods are actually fiberglass.


Carbon Fiber also yellows if unpainted and not properly clear-coated. This issue is common with tuners who got CF hoods, spoilers, etc. but the product did not have a good protective coat. The UV rays seem to damage unpainted CF much like it does with plastic headlights unless it has proper coating to protect it. However, unlike plastic headlights, the yellowing on CF appears to be non-correctable.

I'd personally never bother with CF unless it's used in components that need to be strong, not only lightweight. Things like hoods, roofs, trunks, etc. don't really need to be CF over fiberglass and there is such a huge difference in price. However, things like wheels, drive-shafts, and arguably spoilers on very fast cars need to be CF.

CF is expensive, but the products that use it with boutique-like quality go to insane measures to assure its quality. For example, Pagani uses CF made in Japan, woven in Germany, lacquered in Italy, and baked in-house in Modena, Italy for their Huayra, a $1 Million car.

Image
 #27477  by ~tc~
 Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:17 pm
KuroNekko wrote:Carbon Fiber also yellows if unpainted and not properly clear-coated. This issue is common with tuners who got CF hoods, spoilers, etc. but the product did not have a good protective coat. The UV rays seem to damage unpainted CF much like it does with plastic headlights unless it has proper coating to protect it. However, unlike plastic headlights, the yellowing on CF appears to be non-correctable.


This isn't actually a problem with the carbon fiber, but with the resin that holds the CF. If you used fiberglass instead of CF in the same resin (so you get the same look) you will have the same problem.

KuroNekko wrote:I'd personally never bother with CF unless it's used in components that need to be strong, not only lightweight. Things like hoods, roofs, trunks, etc. don't really need to be CF over fiberglass and there is such a huge difference in price. However, things like wheels, drive-shafts, and arguably spoilers on very fast cars need to be CF.


The only difference is the stiffness/strength of the fibers. On most body panels, you are limited by shape, so you cant really design to optimize the weight anyways. The weight saving going to CF will be minimal, but the cost increase is significant.

On structural items where you design to a strength level is where you will see the benefit due to the smaller size of the CF item.
 #27480  by KuroNekko
 Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:58 pm
~tc~ wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:Carbon Fiber also yellows if unpainted and not properly clear-coated. This issue is common with tuners who got CF hoods, spoilers, etc. but the product did not have a good protective coat. The UV rays seem to damage unpainted CF much like it does with plastic headlights unless it has proper coating to protect it. However, unlike plastic headlights, the yellowing on CF appears to be non-correctable.


This isn't actually a problem with the carbon fiber, but with the resin that holds the CF. If you used fiberglass instead of CF in the same resin (so you get the same look) you will have the same problem.


The resin is part of finished carbon fiber. You won't see carbon fiber used in automotive applications without it being in resin which gives it its solid shape. It's lacquered in resin and then baked for it to be CF as you know it. So while it's true that it's not the actual carbon fiber weave that yellows, it's the resin that encases it that turns yellow and that resin is a permanent part of the actual product. This is why the yellowing is said to be irreversible.
Also, while fiberglass may have the same effect from UV damage, I've never seen a fiberglass automotive part that wasn't painted. Paint protects materials from UV damage. However, with CF, many people like the look of the CF weave so opt to not have it painted, leaving it susceptible to UV damage/yellowing.
 #27482  by BxKizashiS
 Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 pm
Soooo with reading all you guys posts, carbon fiber is not worth it lol... I might as well get it wrapped or just leave it how it is