KIZASHI AUSTRALIA

The Kizashi should soon show up in Australia. We look forward to seeing members from your region.
lookin

You sure maybe you got a free oil change
shaq

bcb wrote:Had the first service (1000KM) a couple days ago and it seems they don't change the oil. The book says check levels only and the dealer (Zupps Brisbane) have not charged for any oil. Should they have changed the oil cause i thought all new vehicles first get a thinner running in oil which is replaced at the first service.
So by the book, the first oil change is at 15000 KM, that seems a long way away.
I will ask the dealer tomorrow but its always nice to have others experiences.

i had mine changed at 7500 kms...
bcb

Rang the dealer today and they said no oil change was done at 1000km, only at 15000km.
They reckon that's what most car manufactures do these days. Well that seems wrong to me, seems i'll be dumping that old dirty "run in" oil myself real soon. I better use the oil that Suzuki recommend too.
Bob
TheHolyGhost

The recommended oil change interval in the US in 7500 miles, so roughly 12,000 km.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
ah_Perth

Will repost my same blog in the Australian section.

How did I end up with a Kizashi?

I tend to keep cars for a long time. I had a 1996 Maxima GV which served me well. Initially I had only a few requirements for a new car, ….. 4 cylinder, “above average” acceleration, ULP, leather seats and a manual. I was not too keen on a “common” looking car and I would take note of the country of origin.

As I had plenty of time, I looked at many cars, Hyundais, Renaults, Subarus, Fords, Hondas, Mazdas, Toyotas, Nissans, Holden and even had a look at the Audi (A3 and A4). I heard about the Kizashi which came out in Australia in May. The more I looked at it the better it seemed to be. I read all the blogs, paying particular attention to what the actual owners said, taking only a passing interest on what the professionals wrote (as they can come with a lot of baggage). The owners feedback was overwhelmingly positive, with the exception of a few that unfortunately had a problem with the paint work chipping. Mine (and the overwhelming majority of owners) show no such problems. The car is eye catching and absolutely loaded with features. I chose an XLS CVT demo and saved over $5 000.

What factors brought me to decide on a Kizashi??

Firstly, this is Japanese designed and made, with the full weight of Suzuki’s racing pedigree brought to bear, in what is a white hot and widely contested market segment. VW owns part of Suzuki. That is good breeding to start with. Suzuki are world leaders in motorcycle and outboard technology. They have come on in leaps and bounds in the small car segment. When they turned their attention to the mid sized market, they simply couldn’t afford to go in with a dud. All the indications, in my opinion, are that they haven’t.

Secondly (and most importantly), there is a lot that is not obvious and showy about the car. Tell me any other car in the class that has a forged crankshaft, a timing chain (not a belt), aluminium pistons with low tensile force rings, forged connecting rods, balance shafts, hydraulic valve lifters and coil-over ignition. Add to that, a multi-link fully independent suspension. No semi-trailing arms or torsion beams to be seen. You wont find all this in any one (similar) car. It doesn’t have world beating acceleration (not helped by its weight), but it is certainly “above average” and more than adequate in my books.

Thirdly the features ticked all the boxes for me. Keyless entry, sunroof, fantastic sound system, CVT with paddles, heated seats, efficient dual zone aircon, economy, airbags everywhere, stability-traction-cruise control, electric seats, rain sensing wipers etc etc. I initially preferred manual as I wanted to keep my double declutching skills current, but I was won over, in short time, by the CVT and paddles.

Finally the driving experience. So so good on the road. It corners well, makes little noise, is peppy and is eye catching (with the lines being just a little bit on the edgy side).

Bottom line?, I am of the opinion that this car is a good performer, a pleasure to drive and is better engineered than anything in its category and price level. Being not so young, I can clearly recall the contempt with which the first Japanese cars were regarded as they first encroached on the Australasian market in the 60’s (which consisted of Fords, Holdens, Austins, Morris etc). For years, most people wouldn’t acknowledge the value that these early Japanese cars presented, even though with the benefit of hindsight, it was as obvious as the nose on your face. It took probably ten years for most people to reluctantly concede they may have been wrong but they would counter with words along the lines of “Yeah OK, but they cant make trucks!”.. How stupid did that rejoinder turn out to be?

I have a sense that the Kizashi is in a similar situation as it attempts to muscle in on the mid size market. It is a quality product, but faces widespread suspicion and scepticism.

Of course, any “newcomer on the block” faces a mountain to simply gain a toehold in the midsize market. While the longest journey begins with a single step, I feel the Kizashi is well up the mountain already.

I do however remain somewhat luke warm about the effectiveness of the (current) marketing of the vehicle, but I do understand the complexities involved and acknowledge I am not a marketing expert.

My advice to anyone in the market for a well engineered, midsize car, that you intend to keep for a long time, would be to check all the blogs of current Kizashi owners, and then go and test drive it with an open mind. You may well be pleasantly surprised.

The Kizashi is not for everyone (no car ever is) but I am very happy with the choice I have made.

I would like to hear from other Aussie owners as to how they arrived at their decision to buy one.
jdimech

Hi everyone!

I have just purchased a Red Kizashi AWD and picked it up last Saturday.
It does look hot I must admit.
Have been wanding through the owners manual - boy is it big!
This car sure has a lot of "bells and whistles".

Looking forward to becoming a member of this Kizashi family in Australia.

Cheers. :D
CLLee

Hi guys,

I have had my Black XLS CVT for a week now. 828kms and loving it.
Coming from a Mazda6 and an Accord Euro in the family, this car is definitely up there in terms or drive, ride & built quality.
Every feature I've ever wanted with my 2005 Mazda6 came standard with the XLS.

I'm not into modding cars, but did a simple GPS install (old TomTom One) in the storage compartment. The lid closes without problem.
Also sprayed the inner part of the exhaust tips black.

Image Image

Look forward to hearing from more Australian owners.
Last edited by CLLee on Thu May 26, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoohanOK

Hi All,

I have just placed an order for a 2011 Black Kizashi Sport AWD. Waiting for confirmation of delivery date. Hope to hear that tomorrow.

Having test driven 7 or 8 vehicles, including the Honda Euro, Mazda 6, Hyundai i45 and Toyota Camry I really found it hard to go past the Kizashi as far as bang for buck goes.

The ride and handling are right up there and the ergonomics are hard to top in this class. Sure it is not perfect but show me a car at this price point that is....

All I know is that right here and right now, at my age this car is perfect for me :D

Update:
OK, so I have had the Kizashi for 48 hours and early impressions are that this is better than any of the Demo Kizashi's I drove, which I was really impressed with. Maybe it is just the after glow of the new purchase :)

Here's to all the fellow Aussie Kizashi family members, looking forward to the journey ahead.
topcat45

Had my first (1,000Km) service 2 days ago & they said I could service it again at 7,500km if I want. I just installed LED DRL's & they look good
topcat45

Believe it or not but I traded a perfectly sound 2000 model WRX for my Kizashi sport AWD. There is no point trying to compare them as they are from two completely different segments of the market. Why go from a WRX to a Kizashi you ask? I am 66 years old & my other half can only drive an auto. She was never comfortable with the REX as I had modified it somewhat & it could give you a nosebleed if prodded hard enough. However I am quite happy with the Suzi & it certainly exceeds the Subi as far as creature comforts are concerned. I do agree with some of the forums though in that it is begging for a turbo :D