Tyre choices and reviews - Australia only please.

The Kizashi should soon show up in Australia. We look forward to seeing members from your region.
murcod

I thought I'd start up a post on tyres specifically for Australia. I'll put up a rough list of what's available to suit in both 17" and 18" on the local market. It will be a work in progress and I'll update it as more info surfaces.

Feel free to add on any reviews/ experiences- there's nothing I hate more than spending huge $$$ on tyres and then not being happy. ;)

Okay, I started listing options below.... but it rapidly blew out with 215/55R17 sizes . Probably the best option is to search for what's currently available (in the size you want) on http://www.tyresales.com.au

Kizashi tyre sizes (tested and fit with no rubbing)

17"

215/55R17 stock size from the factory with 17x7" rims

235/50R17 (can be fitted to stock rim, same overall diameter as 215/55)

18"

235/45R18 stock size from factory with 18x8" rims
David
murcod

215/55R17 Yokohama db E70, on stock rims

In the 6000km I drove on them, here are my thoughts:
- Poor steering response and unsettled feeling through corners
- Poor performance in emergency braking, they take a long distance to pull up :o
- Seemed good enough in the wet
- Seemed to be wearing well while I had them on

Buy them if you only want your Kizashi for A to B transport. If you like driving and going through corners at anything other than slow speeds, look elsewhere!
David
cocos3

Thanks for your input David. I'm a way off needing tyres yet, (I hope...at 11K).
It may have been covered before but do the stock Yokohamas get a good rating, the 18's on the Prestige I'm talking about?
They don't seem to have the grip I'd like for the way the car handles......

Has anyone said what life they've had out of them?

Andrew
Red 2013 Prestige w/ sat-nav
Wonson92

cocos3 wrote: Has anyone said what life they've had out of them?
I just got a new set yesterday, I got 31, 000 out of the oe yokos. Wore well for the first 10, 000kms then they went down rapily. I had an alignment issue which sped things up at the front but even the rears were shot. Ended up unroadworthy, yaaay.

I replaced them with Pirelli P1's. So far they feel great (inner city driving) but im doing a proper test tonight so ill keep posted.

Fyi 215/55r17
2011 Premium Silver XL

Learn. Do. Break. Fix. Explore. Save. Repeat
murcod

cocos3 wrote: It may have been covered before but do the stock Yokohamas get a good rating, the 18's on the Prestige I'm talking about?
They don't seem to have the grip I'd like for the way the car handles......

Has anyone said what life they've had out of them?

Andrew
They were mentioned in another thread (last night) and it sounded like they're much the same as my thoughts on the 17" version.
BarryTurner wrote:Great. Ive had mine since 2010 and love it. I have the XLS with 18 inch wheels. I agree with David about even better ride and handling after replacing the Yokohamas. Enjoy!
Barry
David
murcod

235/50R17 Pirelli P Zero System Assymetrico on 17x8" rims

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/au/en/car/s ... ystem.html

This is what I replaced my Yokohama DB E70's with, so my comparisons are against the original spec 215/55R17 Yokos that had only done 6000km. I don't mind using the handling potential of the Kizashi at times, so keep that in mind with my thoughts.

- Vastly improved cornering, literally feels like the car is on train tracks. It's a lot more "planted" through corners, the whole vehicle feels more confidence inspiring.
- A very slight increase in cabin noise
- Ride quality is much the same, no drastic change
- They do seem to spin relatively easy off the line when turning corners, particularly in the wet. Note I've got a manual transmission, might not be as big a problem with the CVT? (This is perhaps also due to their assymetric design. Normally- on RWD applications- the drive wheels would use the "Direzionale" version which has a different tread pattern. Pirelli state the Assymetrico version can be used on both front and rear.)
- I haven't had to test out the emergency braking yet, but overall they're a big step up in performance.
David
BarryTurner

I've been a Michelin fan for a long time. I bought new Michelin 235/45R 18 98W XL Primacy HP GRNX tyres at the 38,500 km mark. The Michies are actually quieter than the Yokohamas but seem to handle much better. I live near the Dandenong ranges in Melbourne and have tried them out there and am most impressed (using the flappy paddles). Braking is also great. I recall that the performance of the Yokohamas in the wet was strongly criticised when the Kizashi was shortlisted for Drive car of the year. I haven't been doing any driving for the past six weeks due to a broken collarbone but hope to get the greenlight on Wednesday. It will be good to try them out again.
Wonson92

Just got back after a trip from Sydney down to Jervis Bay via the Grand Pacific Drive. The new Pirelli P1's are great! Silent on the highway and much much much less road vibration. Handling is a lot better than the Yoko's, never faulted once. You could get a better handling tyre for the same price but I doubt you could get one this quiet, comfortable and get as many km's (so I've been told). In saying that, the handling is way better than your average all rounder. Pretty keen to try them in the wet and on the dirt.
2011 Premium Silver XL

Learn. Do. Break. Fix. Explore. Save. Repeat
cocos3

Thanks for the input guys... Sometimes it would be nice to justify just changing the tyres for the sake of a better experience....but it all costs $$$$$! :cry:
Red 2013 Prestige w/ sat-nav
murcod

cocos3 wrote:Thanks for the input guys... Sometimes it would be nice to justify just changing the tyres for the sake of a better experience....but it all costs $$$$$! :cry:
It only took me one emergency stop (with my young daughter in the back) to persuade me it was worth the money. The ABS kicked in and did it's job, but the Kizashi didn't pull up like it should have. It could save your life.

(I don't think the elderly woman even realised how close she was to getting "t boned" when she failed to give way..... :roll: )
David